NBC Sports Edge Forums

Darren McFadden 2017 Season Outlook

Message added by tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season 2019 automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2020.]

Just now, iheartrubio said:

He was a change of pace back to Elliott.  Not sure how that’s debatable. 

He had 8 carries in 4 games. Teams tend to use change of pace backs as the guys who aren't 3 down RB's and are different than there starting RB's. Like Carolina. You have your early down back and than your shifty change of pace guy. Carolina dressed there starting RB, and there change of pace back and when there starting RB went down they went to a guy that could handle 3 downs work. 

Dallas had a workhorse, and 2 backup RB's that can handle the load even if one is injury prone. Morris isn't a change of pace back, McFadden fits the role better. Morris is just a backup RB. The backup RB wasn't get much usage, so I just don't see why McFadden wouldn't have been activated and dressed over Morris. He would have got more practice reps, seen 8 carries so he'd still be fresh. 

Dallas hasn't used a change of pace back like Carolina did this year..

• Replies 581
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Didn't know where else to put this.  But jesus some guys just can't handle retirement i guess.   https://www.yahoo.com/sports/wild-video-reportedly-shows-darren-mc-fadden-drive-into-a-whatab

Posted Images

Am I the only one who thanks Morris  can Get the Bulk
McFadden is probably better in relief role.

Morris is one of those 20+ carries kind of guy while Mcfadden is good for about 10-15.

give Morris  20 Carries a Game hell have 100 yd a game

2 minutes ago, krest509 said:

Morris is one of those 20+ carries kind of guy while Mcfadden is good for about 10-15.

You’re not alone and thank you for restoring my faith in humanity 

I strongly believe it will be a cut and dry committee unless one shows up the other by a large margin. The bickering between the two threads is comical as it always is (similar to the Murray and McKinnon threads) but both should retain some value.. Morris has been active for good reason however you can't disregard the fact that McFadden has been on the roster for a few years now despite his odd injury last year and his inactiveness thus far this season.

My rather pedestrian guess is that Morris should get the grinding work whereas McFadden will get the passing down work with some between the tackles plays mixed in throughout

8 minutes ago, krest509 said:

No idea, McFadden was great in 2015 though... Last time Morris was good was when Kyle Shanahan was working his rags to riches RB magic in 2014. 

Edited by RoboFroogs

Posted this in the Morris thread.

For what it's worth....

"We just felt like as we went through training camp and the preseason that Alfred deserved this opportunity first," Garrett said.

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/dallas-cowboys/cowboys/2017/09/11/cowboys-rb-darren-mcfadden-inactive-vs-giants

This may put a damper on the theory that Mcfadden was a was a healthy scratch to keep him fresh.

1 minute ago, DezBryant88 said:

Over 1000 yards that season in limited games.

Yup, he didn't start until week 7 (after the week 6 bye) and was tearing it up! He only had maybe 150-200 yards in the first 5 games on limited touches, but was a beast when he got the start. Only thing missing was more TDs but he got a ton of yardage.

Just now, DezBryant88 said:

He had Weeden, Cassel and Kellen Moore as his QBs. Did pretty well going up against so many stacked boxes.

So well that Dallas decided to spend the 4th overall pick in the draft on a RB, when they could have drafted Jalen Ramsey.

Edited by SkinsNation