Kyle Kuzma 2017-2018 Season Outlook

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Down goes the hype train

Ahhh, we're getting closer to Anthony Randolph fever now.   That's more like it.   "Ceiling is Magic, floor is prime Anthony Mason."

Posted Images

57 minutes ago, MONEY BALL said:

Anyone seen this kid play before? And does he have a realistic chance of leapfrogging Randle in the Lakers frontcourt?

Watched him a few times with Utah, he looks pretty good. I don't see him getting many minutes this year just because of the guys in front of him, but once the situation clears itself up a bit next year, look out. He's not as good as he played in SL, but the kid does have talent. 

• Like 1

I can see Kuzma backup this year to Randle and maybe trade Nance by midseason?

Definitely one to watch early on. If shooting is for real. Not sure about this but wasn't 3-pt% in college not so good?

Looks like a player to me who should have been drafted about 10-12 spots higher.

Per an article on insidesocal.com

"

“I’ve been working since the end of the season to improve my shooting ability,” Kuzma said. “It’s all about getting reps and being in the gym.”

Kuzma has focused more than just on taking plenty of shots in his workouts. That work helped him improve his 3-point shooting at the University of Utah as a sophomore (25.5%) to a junior (31.2%). Kuzma also became mindful he would have to tinker with his approach when accounting for the distance in the 3-point line from the basket in college basketball (19 feet, nine inches) and in the NBA (23 feet, nine inches).

“I have to get my legs into it,” Kuzma said. “The college 3, you can shoot like it’s a free throw. But it being that deep, I have to really focus on getting my legs into it and the mechanics in my shot. By doing so, I’m more efficient and effective.”"

Maybe he has more time since he's not a student. Maybe he realizes that shooting the 3 is how he's going to get playing time in the NBA. I'd take a super late round flyer on him, or just keep an eye on him the first two weeks. Remember, it was summer league. 

• 2 months later...
15 minutes ago, zocalo08 said:

Not unless randle gets traded. But Luke is gonna have to find some pt for him if he keeps playing like this.

Don't want to overreact based off one game, but if he keeps playing like this then he'll get some minutes for sure and who knows what happens. 

3 hours ago, RedRaider27 said:

Don't want to overreact based off one game, but if he keeps playing like this then he'll get some minutes for sure and who knows what happens. 

It's not just one game... he's been playing this way since summer league.

7 hours ago, zocalo08 said:

Not unless randle gets traded.

Kuz is a much better fit next to ball and it is not close.  I think Randle is as good as gone.  The minutes for Kuz might not be there early on because they will be trying to boost Randle's trade value.  Before trade deadline I think they will move Randle with Deng's contract freeing up Kuzma.

Edited by El_Chingon
  • Like 1

What i see on this video is not normal. I mean jump shots money, cutting to the basket, hook shot with the left and right hand with no balance. That must be some extremely good form he is going through. This is like top5 draft pick, I cannot believe these things will keep going in.

Didn't catch much summer league but saw some highlights. Pretty exciting as a Lakers fan. Seems to have a mature offensive game with the ability to finish with both hands and hit outside shots. Hopefully they can get a decent return for Randle and not get tied down to a bad extension for him.

Seems to be a better fit at 4 than Randle on the offensive side at least. I don't think Lakers give a damn about defense right now so he might get pt in the reg season. More useful playing him tjan Randle or Deng in the long run.

Kuzma got game, but unfortunately, there are lots of roadblocks to PT.

1) He is playing with the 2nd team, in preseason

2) Lake show has too many "anointed" ones that would have to fall for Kuzma to offer value

3) Nance is just starting to show his abilities, and also deserves more PT.

Given these, I don't see Kuzma having any value. Nice to see the skills are there, but there will need to be a move or two to free up minutes, and maybe not this year.

I can see Kuzma forcing LA to run a 2nd unit where Randle or Nance play the 5...in a Draymond role

This kid killed it in SL, was impressive the other day...if he keeps doing it in pre-season he'll get minutes eventually 

Seems to have good chemistry with Ball too and he's THE anoited one in LA.

Randle

Nance

Kuz

Ingram

Ball

That's intriguing...

15 hours ago, El_Chingon said:

Kuz is a much better fit next to ball and it is not close.  I think Randle is as good as gone.  The minutes for Kuz might not be there early on because they will be trying to boost Randle's trade value.  Before trade deadline I think they will move Randle with Deng's contract freeing up Kuzma.

Exactly my thoughts. He just holds the ball too long, doesn't fit with what Luke is trying to do. 

I'm not sure I would resign Randle if I was the Lakers. He has too many flaws though he has some decent strengths. They probably better off saving cap space and maybe get some draft picks for him. Too bad lottery picks are not worth as much anymore.

Problem is they will give some Laker  guys showcase minutes this year so the real question is do you draft Kuz as a flier or just pick him up as a waiver midway.