Kyle Kuzma 2017-2018 Season Outlook

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Down goes the hype train

Ahhh, we're getting closer to Anthony Randolph fever now.   That's more like it.   "Ceiling is Magic, floor is prime Anthony Mason."

Posted Images

1 hour ago, MONEY BALL said:

Head and shoulders he's a much better player than Ingram and it's not close.

Too bad it won't go down like that.

ha..

Ingram is one of the most overrated prospects I've ever seen. When they compared him to KD during draft time, and then KD said "he's better than I was at the same age" it just set up the most unrealistic expectations. I've been saying since day one that this guy is nothing special, his shot is broken, he doesn't have a handle, he's toothpick skinny, I don't get it. Other than finishing the occasional athletic layup I'm not seeing anything that stands out. I think he could potentially go down as one of the biggest busts ever, he'd have to go a long way to prove me wrong. Reminds me a lot of the Marvin Williams pick before CP3 / Deron, but at least he can shoot the ball. 

Kuzma looked spectacular at Utah in every facet. 

Know what's scary? He hasn't even shown off his superb passing yet..

• Like 1

image.png.0d8226af0ffb6285832bcb9f5d155d3a.png

I know it's Denver and Sacramento and Minnesota hasn't looked good defensively in preseason.. but still these lines are enticing

Jesus... if he keeps it up during the regular season..

I hope I don't end up regretting not picking him up. He's still on my wire in my 12 man but I'm too scared to take a late rookie with a lot of wing depth on that team. Once they settle in and start slowing things down a bit to accommodate Brook Lopez in the post.. once they put the Robersons on him, the Tony Allens, etc. How will he handle it? At this point he looks like the Lakers best pure scorer.. but it's a scary thought to drop anyone of importance for a late drafted rookie (despite everything he's showing so far). I haven't seen him handle adversity yet nor top notch NBA defenders when they're actually trying on defense.

Everyone is dropping massive lines in preseason on every single team, even guys who generally aren't thought of as great scorers (Justin Holiday for example). 

I remember drafting Meyers Leonard because he dropped 15 points / 10 rebounds and 2.5+ 3's with 1 steal and 1 block the entire preseason only to be complete crap from the get-go during the actual season. It's just not the same thing, teams are trying at probably half of their defensive capacity. 

53 minutes ago, Lifschitz said:

image.png.0d8226af0ffb6285832bcb9f5d155d3a.png

I know it's Denver and Sacramento and Minnesota hasn't looked good defensively in preseason.. but still these lines are enticing

Jesus... if he keeps it up during the regular season..

I hope I don't end up regretting not picking him up. He's still on my wire in my 12 man but I'm too scared to take a late rookie with a lot of wing depth on that team. Once they settle in and start slowing things down a bit to accommodate Brook Lopez in the post.. once they put the Robersons on him, the Tony Allens, etc. How will he handle it? At this point he looks like the Lakers best pure scorer.. but it's a scary thought to drop anyone of importance for a late drafted rookie (despite everything he's showing so far). I haven't seen him handle adversity yet nor top notch NBA defenders when they're actually trying on defense.

Everyone is dropping massive lines in preseason on every single team, even guys who generally aren't thought of as great scorers (Justin Holiday for example). 

I remember drafting Meyers Leonard because he dropped 15 points / 10 rebounds and 2.5+ 3's with 1 steal and 1 block the entire preseason only to be complete crap from the get-go during the actual season. It's just not the same thing, teams are trying at probably half of their defensive capacity. 

sprbByE.png

• Haha 4
2 hours ago, Lifschitz said:

ha..

Ingram is one of the most overrated prospects I've ever seen. When they compared him to KD during draft time, and then KD said "he's better than I was at the same age" it just set up the most unrealistic expectations. I've been saying since day one that this guy is nothing special, his shot is broken, he doesn't have a handle, he's toothpick skinny, I don't get it. Other than finishing the occasional athletic layup I'm not seeing anything that stands out. I think he could potentially go down as one of the biggest busts ever, he'd have to go a long way to prove me wrong. Reminds me a lot of the Marvin Williams pick before CP3 / Deron, but at least he can shoot the ball. 

Know what's scary? He hasn't even shown off his superb passing yet..

Spectacular in every facet? He was a terrible 3pt ( 30.2%) and ft shooter (63.3%) in college. Also, his stocks were awful. The hype has gotten way out of control here over some preseason stats....let's pump the brakes a bit here.

• Like 2
23 minutes ago, HK-47 said:

Spectacular in every facet? He was a terrible 3pt ( 30.2%) and ft shooter (63.3%) in college. Also, his stocks were awful. The hype has gotten way out of control here over some preseason stats....let's pump the brakes a bit here.

I watched a few full out Utah games because I wanted him on the Raps, and he was always impressive by observation. The jumper (per all scouting reports) was promising.. he has a smooth up and down motion and he had the same thing in college, he just needed more repetitions. In fact, his playmaking and jumpshot potential was the main reason a lot of GMs and fans liked him. 

His stroke reminds me a lot of Ray Allen's jumpshot form but the release is not as quick. Straight up and down smooth motion - good height/vertical. You can go ahead and read all of his scouting reports and many felt he had a very smooth looking jumper. Those usually translate to better efficiency stats sooner rather than later. He said he put in massive amounts of repetition on his jumper between College and the NBA, and look at him now.

He already had an all-around passing/floater/ambidextrous finishes/in-between game at Utah.

The reason these guys usually drop in drafts isn't because of what you stated, it's because 'swiss army knife' types are generally extremely underrated because GMs don't think they have a high ceiling, that's why Millsap went late in the 2nd round and played out of the d-league despite being the best (IIRC) rebounder in all of College basketball. It's why Draymond dropped (they thought his jumper would be too much to overcome). They didn't see him as a superb athlete, but rather a middling one.

Swiss army knife tweeners are very useful in the NBA where it's more open court and up and down pace, they won't look as good with 30 second shot clocks and less spacing in the offense. 

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2717479-kyle-kuzma-nba-draft-2017-scouting-report-grade-for-lakers-rookie

http://www.nba.com/draft/2017/prospects/kyle_kuzma#/

https://www.nbascoutinglive.com/kyle-kuzma-scouting-report

"Adequate shooter, has stretch big potential" cons: "inconsistent shooter"

If a guy has a promising looking jumpshot and the results haven't come in yet, but he looks amazing everywhere else/has the tools, you should draft him high. A jumpshot is the easiest thing to develop as long as your form is at least adequate (not broken, no hitch).

Edited by Lifschitz
  • Like 2

I also wouldn't put too much emphasis on players' "college stocks"..... Beasley averaged 1.3 steals and 1.6 blocks in his one year.. what happened? Wait till they get to the NBA to make a case.

I agree I used the term 'all facets' a bit too loosely, I meant offensively he's got many tools.

Edited by Lifschitz
4 minutes ago, Lifschitz said:

I also wouldn't put too much emphasis on players' "college stocks"..... Beasley averaged 1.3 steals and 1.6 blocks in his one year.. what happened? Wait till they get to the NBA to make a case.

I agree I used the term 'all facets' a bit too loosely, I meant offensively he's got many tools.

Fair enough, and I don't disagree that he seems pretty fluid and am not totally discounting what could be some long-term improvement in his game. I'm just not all-aboard the hype train like some others.

3 minutes ago, HK-47 said:

Fair enough, and I don't disagree that he seems pretty fluid and am not totally discounting what could be some long-term improvement in his game. I'm just not all-aboard the hype train like some others.

I hear ya.. perhaps you may have missed what I said here, as I'm in full agreement about not being aboard the hype train:

2 hours ago, battaginlemon said:

The hype is getting out of hand. Swiss army knife?? He's not a rebounder, nor a shotblocker, heck he's not even a decent defender.

Confused about what hype is getting out of hand?  Will give you that he doesn't block shots but he IS in fact a very good rebounder.  Defensively most rookies will struggle initially but has already shown he has the tools / instincts to be a very good defender.  

• Like 2
1 hour ago, El_Chingon said:

Confused about what hype is getting out of hand?  Will give you that he doesn't block shots but he IS in fact a very good rebounder.  Defensively most rookies will struggle initially but has already shown he has the tools / instincts to be a very good defender.  

lol.. all the scouting reports I posted say he either hasdefensive potential but needs to work on it - or that he's an excellent rebounder, he clearly just didn't read anything posted above. Especially considering he said he's a "poor" rebounder. Heck, even the DX scouting video I posted said rebounding is one of his strengths. He somehow came to his own deduction - seems his opinion/observation is more astute than scouting websites. 

5 minutes ago, MONEY BALL said:

Lol. He has the versatility to play at the 2, 3, and 4. Don't be salty you missed out :lol:

Stop posting. Laughable that you think he's better than Ingram. Even worse that you think he could ever play shooting guard. 

• Haha 1
16 hours ago, Lifschitz said:

I watched him with the Utes as well, even in some live games as I'm in the area sometimes for work, but I have to disagree. 

Those who know me, know I've been saying it wouldnt suprise me if some team selected him top 20, and I regarded him as a potential steal anywhere post 20.

BUT seeing him with the Utes often had me wondering why he did not assert himself more. It more often than not seemed like he was content beig part of the machine, being part of a flow and rarely leaving a mark on the game. You could see his talent, but was missing mostly was the fire, will and power to assert himself. Spectacular is definitely not a word I'd use to describe his college career. 'Solid' will suffice for me.

8 hours ago, El_Chingon said:

Someone above was comparing him to Draymond/Millsap. He's indeed a very versatile scorer, but I think comparing him to some of the best all-around players in the league is a bit of a stretch

• Like 1

Also, Dirk Nowitzki was horrible as a rookie. Sometimes these guys need a little more time. I'm fully willing to give Ingram at least another full season to prove he's a special talent. But hey, I don't go out on a limb that often.