NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Kyle Kuzma 2017-2018 Season Outlook

1 minute ago, PuzzBeterson said:

Not in hell. Randle, probably.

Lakers will get nothing from Randle, in all likelihood. He's young and hasn't produced much, and the Lakers will want picks in return. There won't be any trade partners, imo. But he'll be gone after this year unless they're Dolan-stupid. Ingram isn't going anywhere until the MONEY BALLs really ramp up their campaign to run another 20-year-old #2 pick out of town when his value is at rock bottom. 

9 hours ago, battaginlemon said:

Someone above was comparing him to Draymond/Millsap. He's indeed a very versatile scorer, but I think comparing him to some of the best all-around players in the league is a bit of a stretch

I wasn't comparing him with Millsap and Draymond.

I think you should re-read what I said.

The point wasn't about comparing them, it was about multi-skilled guys who don't have one outstanding tool sliding in drafts. I didn't say he's the same player as they are.

Edited by Lifschitz

Los Angeles is going loco over this dude. You can just go lurk on a Lakers forum and some are at each others throats. On Twitter it's constant tweets about him. During my draft, I said 'screw it' and pick him up late. I should know better, but like come on. From his Carmelo-like footwork to his three point stroke, how can you not take a chance?

If the first regular season game he comes out and play just 15 minutes, I'll just immediately drop him. No harm no foul.

Edited by Trench Mob
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Trench Mob said:

Los Angeles is going loco over this dude. You can just go lurk on a Lakers forum and some are at each others throats. On Twitter it's constant tweets about him. During my draft, I said 'screw it' and pick him up late. I should know better, but like come on. From his Carmelo-like footwork to his three point stroke, how can you not take a chance?

If the first regular season game he comes out and play just 15 minutes, I'll just immediately drop him. No harm no foul.

Some LAL fans usually go gaga over their prospects, only to tear them down if they fail to live up to unrealistic expectations. I dont think I've seen it as much with other fanbases.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, PuzzBeterson said:

Some LAL fans usually go gaga over their prospects, only to tear them down if they fail to live up to unrealistic expectations. I dont think I've seen it as much with other fanbases.

LAL is a rich and proud franchise that's used to glamor like the Kobe's and Shaq's... I think some of them are tired of them sucking. As Coach Thibs says... "Can't wait on potential any longer".

https://www.thescore.com/news/1393785

11 minutes ago, PuzzBeterson said:

c'mon now, the same percentage of those delusional fans exist on other teams... :rolleyes:  

• Like 1

28 is a bit steep. That's what Randle played last year. The Lakers now have the following players for their front court rotation (~minutes played last year, simplified (Deng played PF as well, for example)):

SF Ingram (28) Deng (26) = 54 
PF Randle (28) Nance (22) = 50 
C Lopez (30) Bogut (20) Zubac (16) = 66 

And I'm not taking KCP or Brewer into account, assuming they play almost all of their minutes at SG.

There are 144 minutes available for these three frontcourt positions. Lakers dealt with some injuries last year, and they brought in some players who've dealt with injuries in their own right.

Now, if you hold any hopes for Kuzma to play 28 minutes, you'd probably have a 'rotation' like this:

SF Ingram (28) Deng (12) Kuzma (14)
PF Randle (18) Nance (12) Kuzma (14) Deng (4)
C Lopez (26) Randle (10) Nance (8) Bogut/Zubac (4 spot minutes)

Ingram - 28

Deng - 16

Kuzma - 28

Randle - 28

Nance - 20

Lopez - 26

Bogut - 2

Zubac - 2

Even when taking into account that players will play less minutes in the future (which seems like an expected league wide trend), this minute allocation seems rather unrealistic. Kuzma isn't gettting (shared) most minutes in their front court. 

My prediction would have Kumza playing approx 18-20 minutes a game, if he does well. 

For reference: only 1 rookie got 28+mpg last year (Ingram), and over the last decade only 47 rookies played 28+ minutes a game. It isn't the norm, especially with rookies drafted post lottery. 

Edited by PuzzBeterson
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Trench Mob said:

I ended up taking a chance on him with my last pick.  Maybe I made a mistake holding onto him when a guy like Milos Teodosic was out there (was just picked up last night), but oh well.  Kuzma still has the potential to be a valuable guy even if it isn't right away.

5 hours ago, PuzzBeterson said:

28 is a bit steep. That's what Randle played last year. The Lakers now have the following players for their front court rotation (~minutes played last year, simplified (Deng played PF as well, for example)):

SF Ingram (28) Deng (26) = 54 
PF Randle (28) Nance (22) = 50 
C Lopez (30) Bogut (20) Zubac (16) = 66 

And I'm not taking KCP or Brewer into account, assuming they play almost all of their minutes at SG.

There are 144 minutes available for these three frontcourt positions. Lakers dealt with some injuries last year, and they brought in some players who've dealt with injuries in their own right.

Now, if you hold any hopes for Kuzma to play 28 minutes, you'd probably have a 'rotation' like this:

SF Ingram (28) Deng (12) Kuzma (14)

Ingram - 28

Deng - 16

Kuzma - 28

Randle - 28

Nance - 20

Lopez - 26

Bogut - 2

Zubac - 2

Even when taking into account that players will play less minutes in the future (which seems like an expected league wide trend), this minute allocation seems rather unrealistic. Kuzma isn't gettting (shared) most minutes in their front court. 

My prediction would have Kumza playing approx 18-20 minutes a game, if he does well. 

For reference: only 1 rookie got 28+mpg last year (Ingram), and over the last decade only 47 rookies played 28+ minutes a game. It isn't the norm, especially with rookies drafted post lottery. 

Whats your mins projection if lakers trade randle and deng or just one of them gets traded?

15 minutes ago, ber said:

Whats your mins projection if lakers trade randle and deng or just one of them gets traded?

Depends on what pieces are brought back in. Don't see them trading both Deng and Randle.

Probably 20-24 minutes/game for Kuzma, some 24-26 minutes for Nance, 28-30 for Lopez?

6 hours ago, PuzzBeterson said:

SF Ingram (28) Deng (12) Kuzma (14)    ******

Ingram - 28

Deng - 16

Kuzma - 28

Randle - 28

Nance - 20

Lopez - 26

Bogut - 2

Zubac - 2

Heads up that on your proposed SF rotation you have 28 + 12 + 14 = 54 which must be a typo (6min over), so that changes up the minutes for Kuz or Deng.

Also, with regards to the Lakers trading Randle or Deng it also depends on who comes back in the trade

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, chaiway said:

Heads up that on your proposed SF rotation you have 28 + 12 + 14 = 54 which must be a typo (6min over), so that changes up the minutes for Kuz or Deng.

Also, with regards to the Lakers trading Randle or Deng it also depends on who comes back in the trade

Thanks for pointing that out. It kind of proves my point about how hard it would be for Kuzma to get 28 a game with the current roster indeed!

8 hours ago, PuzzBeterson said:

i'm sure there's a good comparison, but I can't really think of it.  Maybe how Florida State football always thinks they have the best prospects?  Laker fans blowing their dudes up in basically unparralled in North American sports, and you combine that with optimistic fantasy owners and you get the perfect storm.

That said, Kuzma isn't reaching Anthony "Earvin 'Magic' Johnson" Randolph levels of hype yet, so I'm okay with it.