NBC Sports Edge Forums

Brandon Ingram 2017-18 Outlook

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Let's get the elephant in the room here out of the way. This dude is trash. OK, hopefully, he can serve a good bench role for his career. 

I honestly don't understand what people see in him

Yeah and if I learn to dunk, shoot the 3 and cross people over I'll be pretty good too. 

Watching this dude play. I just dont get hype. Cant get to the hoop, too weak to post, mediocre shooter at best. Fails my eye test miserably. Yuck.

Edited by Code of Hammurabi
20 minutes ago, Code of Hammurabi said:

Watching this dude play. I just dont get hype. Cant get to the hoop, too weak to post, mediocre shooter at best. Fails my eye test miserably. Yuck.

was getting to the rim with ease last week and finishing

it was against den and wilson chandler ha

• Like 1

Ingram doesn't pass the eye test at all. He has no fluidity to his game. No moves. Very awkward, rigid, and forceful.  Watching him attempt a turnaround fadeaway is  cringy; he gets zero separation.  Watching him drive to the hoop is so predictable and he's constantly running into his man, instead of blowing by them.  If you compare Ingram's game to someone like Jayson Tatum, it's like night and day.  Tatum passes the eye test. I feel very confident that Tatum will one day be a solid 18+ ppg scorer; the only question being how well he does on defense. 

I've been targeting Ingram like crazy in all of my drafts so far (especially in dynasty/keeper leagues), but i'm pretty worried as of today. I think we might need to wait yet another year for him to develop.  At best, Ingram's ceiling appears to be prime-Rudy Gay.  But right now, I'm hoping for an extremely poor man's version of otto porter. 

Edited by valensi24
  • Like 2
3 hours ago, Code of Hammurabi said:

iirc, last year he was better at getting to the hoop unassted than Giannis and Leonard at the same stage in their development. His shot is ugly though. But he shot 40+% from 3 in college right? Not all is lost. 

Just now, PuzzBeterson said:

iirc, last year he was better at getting to the hoop unassted than Giannis and Leonard at the same stage in their development. His shot is ugly though. But he shot 40+% from 3 in college right? Not all is lost. 

He just needs to adjust. There are countless guys that light it up from 3 in college and can't shoot their first year or 3. I'm not at all worried about his shot long term. 

He shouldn't be either. Right now he needs to fill out. And apparently get his confidence back. 

outside of min played/ fga/ pts and ft% Ingram post AS numbers were very similar to another skin and bones lanky 19 year old

ingram 32 min, 11.4 fga,  47.5 fg%, 0.7 threes/27%,  4 reb,  2.5 assists, 2 t/o, 1.1 steals, 0.5 blks, 

kd        37 min, 16.9 fga,  47.6 fg% 0.4 threes/30%, 4.8 reb,  2.7 assists, 3.1 t/o  1 steal, 0.7 blks

have to think the lines would be even closer or favoring ingram if ingram got that extra usage 

not saying ingram is going to make that jump this year but even kd didnt shoot the three ball alot or that well as a 19 year old

what does make me think about ingram as a player is his trash ft%

1 hour ago, colepenhagen said:

outside of min played/ fga/ pts and ft% Ingram post AS numbers were very similar to another skin and bones lanky 19 year old

ingram 32 min, 11.4 fga,  47.5 fg%, 0.7 threes/27%,  4 reb,  2.5 assists, 2 t/o, 1.1 steals, 0.5 blks, 

kd        37 min, 16.9 fga,  47.6 fg% 0.4 threes/30%, 4.8 reb,  2.7 assists, 3.1 t/o  1 steal, 0.7 blks

have to think the lines would be even closer or favoring ingram if ingram got that extra usage 

not saying ingram is going to make that jump this year but even kd didnt shoot the three ball alot or that well as a 19 year old

what does make me think about ingram as a player is his trash ft%

Those numbers might look similar but if you watch KD's first yr with sonics ( 19 yrs old ), KD just does everything way better than Ingram at the same age. Not to mention KD was already a 20 pts scorer in his rookie season. Not saying ingram won't improve throughout the season but his ceiling will be a lot lower than people expected. Just curious anyone here already drafted ingram and if so in what round and league settings?

33 minutes ago, ber said:

Those numbers might look similar but if you watch KD's first yr with sonics ( 19 yrs old ), KD just does everything way better than Ingram at the same age. Not to mention KD was already a 20 pts scorer in his rookie season. Not saying ingram won't improve throughout the season but his ceiling will be a lot lower than people expected. Just curious anyone here already drafted ingram and if so in what round and league settings?

Going by his rookie numbers, Dirk Nowitzki's ceiling is rather low, as well. 

39 minutes ago, ber said:

yea i agree.. i was mainly pointing out the 3 ball and how kd didnt even shoot it all that much especially post AS 

anyone know what KD adp was his 2nd year? has to be wayyyyy high than where ingram is going

i took ingram  at 75 in 12 team 9 cat punt ft% and assists which was a reach but one i was comfortable taking as he wasnt going to make it back to me

still love the appeal of the 1/1/1 on low t/o + the possible upside

1 hour ago, PuzzBeterson said:

Going by his rookie numbers, Dirk Nowitzki's ceiling is rather low, as well. 

Dirk rookie season is a lot better than his rookie numbers. It was an lockout nba season in first 30 games of the season Dirk didn't start and play like 15 mins ish per game and in the last 20 games dirk start and play close to 25 mins+ per game and avg almost 13 pts with signs of 3pt range and post moves, pump fakes to get his shots off. If it wasn't the lockout season i have no doubt Dirk's rookie season numbers will be a lot better.Dirk definitely pass the eye test and you had a good feeling about him going to be good in the nba. Ingram on the other hand just don't look good at all in preseason. Again small sample size gonna watch how he performs in his 2nd yr but don't put your hopes up lol.

Edited by ber

Dirk was prrrrretty 'awful' as a rookie. Your eyetest would say the same if you had watched him play back then. Heck, loads of 'eyetests' said he was a bust back then. Ingram is too young to dismiss and eyetests of random forum members are not important to take into consideration. 

• Like 3
13 hours ago, PuzzBeterson said:

His shooting form is pretty good actually, has high release, good vertical, he sets himself up okay, always shuffles his legs when needed to be in a position etc.

He definitely hasnt got a broken shot.

Ingram is still just a young kid in a weird lanky long body. His second year is barely starting so I don't understand if anyone is writing him off now.

He had a good run late last season and I would not think he got worse after this summer. No red flags indicate that he has a lazy mentality. Seems in a hurry to prove himself if anything.

2 hours ago, PuzzBeterson said:

Dirk was prrrrretty 'awful' as a rookie. Your eyetest would say the same if you had watched him play back then. Heck, loads of 'eyetests' said he was a bust back then. Ingram is too young to dismiss and eyetests of random forum members are not important to take into consideration. 

People are hilarious. These overreactions are more than common here at rotoworld.

1 hour ago, LuSamSiam said:

People are hilarious. These overreactions are more than common here at rotoworld.

Ingram is the 2nd pick of lakers, of course people will look at him more than other rookie. Anytime a top 3 pick is not playing well its a big deal to their fan base. Most fans are expecting ingram to show up and play well in preseason especially after so many news about ingram work so hard in the offseason to improve his game. Again preseason is too little sample size, ingram has a whole season to prove himself.

3 hours ago, ber said:

Again preseason is too little sample size, ingram has a whole season to prove himself

Preseason sample is all we have to work with before we draft.

He can take the rest of the season to show why I should draft him next year.

magic put too much pressure on him by saying he "expects 20 ppg"....kinda got ingram lookin rattled in preseason.

but if we look at his progression over the second half of last season, it's easy to see that he has great potential to be a steal for those who take him in the 90-100 range.

i expect some struggles in the first couple months of the season, followed by some big strides where he starts ballin out around january or so.

15 ppg

6 rpg

3 apg

1.5 3fg

1 steal

1 block

very attainable numbers for BI

13 minutes ago, IsraeliPSYCHO said:

magic put too much pressure on him by saying he "expects 20 ppg"....kinda got ingram lookin rattled in preseason.

but if we look at his progression over the second half of last season, it's easy to see that he has great potential to be a steal for those who take him in the 90-100 range.

i expect some struggles in the first couple months of the season, followed by some big strides where he starts ballin out around january or so.

15 ppg

6 rpg

3 apg

1.5 3fg

1 steal

1 block

very attainable numbers for BI

Well said, he's your classic high risk high reward guy. I'm sipping the kool aid and buying. 

• Like 1