NBC Sports Edge Forums

Jonathon Isaac 2017-2018 Season Outlook

2 minutes ago, greatestmetfan said:

Yeah I would, Curry can't shake this injury. If you have an IR you can probably pick up Isaac and Curry will still be available. No time table and talking about surgery when Isaac is due back any day makes it an easy decision for me. 

I've got D'Angelo on my IR right now, so I'd have to drop. But it doesn't seem like he's gonna shake it anytime soon and I see the hype growing on Isaac on RW. What is his game like for someone who's never watched him play?

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The Magic are going to let this kid feast, and he is going to take advantage of that opportunity.  As a SF, in that line up, and Fournier hurt, we're looking at   PG: Payton SG: Simmons

They played 3 in 4 with a B2B Friday/Saturday. Sunday was probably a rest day. They probably practiced today and won't have an update until tomorrow because it is all about how injured players respond

This is a bad take.

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, ak427 said:

I've got D'Angelo on my IR right now, so I'd have to drop. But it doesn't seem like he's gonna shake it anytime soon and I see the hype growing on Isaac on RW. What is his game like for someone who's never watched him play?

Below isn't his best fantasy game but displays some of the things he can do. In 19 mins a game he averaged 1.3 blocks and with and with some players down for Orlando we expect him to get increased mins. Seems like he has a lot of potential being a long shot blocker who can hit 3s.

https://youtu.be/-KCaiI2f17Q

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, paokmaniak said:

If the magic have decided that he is a pf than i can not see the hype, Aaron is definitely the no1 in orlando.

Do you think that isaac can coexist with Aaron as a SF??

They can both play on both positions. We'll see how often will they be on the floor at the same time

2 hours ago, paokmaniak said:

If the magic have decided that he is a pf than i can not see the hype, Aaron is definitely the no1 in orlando.

If Isaac's defensive presence is THAT much of a factor then Vogel probably won't have any option other than to play Gordon and Isaac together for periods.  On offense I can see it working, both Vucevic and Gordon are stepping out and taking a heap of 3s this season so it's not like spacing is a big problem.

4 hours ago, paokmaniak said:

Yes. Isaac and can guard multiple positions. It won't be a problem on def IMO. Hes a 3-4. He can guard wings and some post too. And can hit the 3 so spacing on offense won't be a problem. He doesn't even need the ball to back an impact. He will get hustle points, steals and blocks. That's his thing. 

Edited by IkeDola510
  • Like 1

Today, honestly, the practice felt like any other,” Isaac said. “I feel like I’m picking up where I left off. I honestly feel even more confident.”

Isaac has missed 16 consecutive games because of the sprain.

In the 12 games he’s played, he distinguished himself on defense because of his smarts, length and agility.

The Magic have missed his versatility.

But the team shouldn’t expect too much from Isaac too soon. Because he had an ankle injury, he lost some of his conditioning.

Asked how Isaac looked in practice, coach Frank Vogel responded, “A tired young man. He looked good. He looked healthy. Obviously, his conditioning is pretty far behind. But we look different with him out there, and we’re eager to get him back."

• Like 3
7 hours ago, paokmaniak said:

Thinking we need them to play 10-12 minutes together at least. Let's say Gordon gets 32-35 minutes, for good fantasy value Isaac needs 22-26, so that is 54-61 minutes combined, or 6-13 minutes together, if we take the high side of that they need to be on the court together 10+ minutes. I see no problem making this happen, especially as Orlando's season circles the drain.

• Like 2

Gordon is the lone solid healthy defender on arguably the worst team defense in any pro sport. If Isaac’s defense is driving coach’s wish to give him minutes, they will have to figure out how to play together stat.

Damn, Gordon just might have a sprained calf?

Isaacs thrusted into the fire right when he gets back? His defense is needed now more then ever . Prob a couple games on mins restriction, then full workload/usage/all he can handle until Gordon gets back?

Edited by IDatDude
1 hour ago, IkeDola510 said:

Yes. Run don't walk. Im glad I have him already stashed.  He's has to get 30 mins on that team. I have Gordon too.

I'm in the same situation as you. Let's see what he can do.

Last game none of the Magic bench caliber did anything.

Edited by rob0403
5 hours ago, rob0403 said:

I'm in the same situation as you. Let's see what he can do.

Last game none of the Magic bench caliber did anything.

YeA their bench sucks and starters play too many mins. That's why I know Isaac will shine. He's their BEST option off the bench imo. They have guys like Owundu, Speights and Herzonja. He's better than all those guys. 

22 minutes ago, IkeDola510 said:

YeA their bench sucks and starters play too many mins. That's why I know Isaac will shine. He's their BEST option off the bench imo. They have guys like Owundu, Speights and Herzonja. He's better than all those guys. 

I agree that he is better than the bench options you mentioned, but that doesn't make him good, great, or whatever description you want to give a player that "will shine". If you are above a low bar you are better than the fodder under the bar, but who knows by how much.

I have stashed for a long time, but I am in no way expecting some fantasy savior type of production. He has skill and a fantasy friendly game, but he needs to add muscle and experience before he breaks out. He is a nice source of stocks but those will come with weak points and mediocre boards for a good while. Your team build needs to be able to stomach his weaknesses to capture his stocks potential. 

26 minutes ago, thezing1 said:

I agree that he is better than the bench options you mentioned, but that doesn't make him good, great, or whatever description you want to give a player that "will shine". If you are above a low bar you are better than the fodder under the bar, but who knows by how much.

I have stashed for a long time, but I am in no way expecting some fantasy savior type of production. He has skill and a fantasy friendly game, but he needs to add muscle and experience before he breaks out. He is a nice source of stocks but those will come with weak points and mediocre boards for a good while. Your team build needs to be able to stomach his weaknesses to capture his stocks potential. 

Fantasy savior? It's like people don't know this guy has played THIS YEAR! He played already! Even if he just gets a little better he will definitely be someone you want. He plays good defense. Don't believe what I say. Just watch him and look what he's done ALREADY THIS YEAR even if it was only 12 games he was getting blocks on a regular. He can move his feet really well and has a long wingspan. If you've played bball and you know defense...he has it. His defense awareness is very high for a rookie. I don't think he's good I know so. Better than Jason Tatum.

Edited by IkeDola510
7 minutes ago, IkeDola510 said:

Fantasy savior? It's like people don't know this guy has played THIS YEAR! He played already! Even if he just gets a little better he will definitely be someone you want. He plays good defense. Don't believe what I say. Just watch him and look what he's done ALREADY THIS YEAR even if it was only 12 games he was getting blocks on a regular. He can move his feet really well and has a long wingspan. If you've played bball and you know defense...he has it. His defense awareness is very high for a rookie.

Let me better define fantasy savior. Like a WW pickup of the year candidate. Like a Don Mitchell type. I play 8 cat so that is my reference point as well.

So yes, do I think Isaac will be a top 50 player....highly unlikely. Which is exactly why I said "Your team build needs to be able to stomach his weaknesses to capture his stocks potential." So I clearly understand his defense as you highlighted, but in fantasy we play offense AND defense, and those are not necessarily weighted equally. 

So does it matter that he has played already and blocked some shots? Does it? We all knew that was his game. Like we all know his offensive game has potential to be amazing, but at this point it is pretty basic. Look, I am stashing him for a month now in a weekly league, start 12, 16 total roster spots no IR. I think he will be serviceable. But he just isn't likely to hit a crazy high, top 50ish upside this year. 

Edited by thezing1
23 minutes ago, thezing1 said:

Let me better define fantasy savior. Like a WW pickup of the year candidate. Like a Don Mitchell type. I play 8 cat so that is my reference point as well.

So yes, do I think Isaac will be a top 50 player....highly unlikely. Which is exactly why I said "Your team build needs to be able to stomach his weaknesses to capture his stocks potential." So I clearly understand his defense as you highlighted, but in fantasy we play offense AND defense, and those are not necessarily weighted equally. 

So does it matter that he has played already and blocked some shots? Does it? We all knew that was his game. Like we all know his offensive game has potential to be amazing, but at this point it is pretty basic. Look, I am stashing him for a month now in a weekly league, start 12, 16 total roster spots no IR. I think he will be serviceable. But he just isn't likely to hit a crazy high, top 50ish upside this year. 

Nobody is  claiming him to be that. BASICALLY I just want him to keep doing what he's doing with more mins. Hes exactly what my team needs. I'd compare him to Aminu light...but he's going to get better as the year goes like MOST rooks. And down the stretch when orl isn't playing for anything and they unleash him...that's what I'm waiting for. But right now he will be serviceable for me and my team. 

Doesn't seem like everyone knows his game...maybe you do but after reading these posts some have probably never seen him play and they don't know what he offers