NBC Sports Edge Forums

Jonathon Isaac 2017-2018 Season Outlook

1 minute ago, thezing1 said:

I hear ya man. We all get excited and the numbers are easy to "round up" when projecting without realizing how rare they actually are. I just wanted to put a little context to the stocks. But I do think his game is super fantasy friendly so it is worth it to be patient with him. 

Personally, I try to remove emotion, stay realistic, and watch games to gather info. We need to see Vogel's rotations. We need to give it at least 10 days before we can assume there isn't a minutes limit on him. Watching rotations without bias will allow us to see what minutes Isaac might get. It is going to require a ton of patience to get through the next 2 weeks though. If you go into the next couple weeks expecting immediate returns you will be disappointed. 

No, I'm playing the long game with this one. Based on what Vogel said about him, it seems like he's headed for more minutes. But he's a rookie, so expectations need to be held in check. But I feel like with more minutes, he should be productive. I lost a lot of blocks in my Giannis trade, so he was the best option on the wire to at least somewhat make up for it. But yeah, I agree with you. 

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The Magic are going to let this kid feast, and he is going to take advantage of that opportunity.  As a SF, in that line up, and Fournier hurt, we're looking at   PG: Payton SG: Simmons

They played 3 in 4 with a B2B Friday/Saturday. Sunday was probably a rest day. They probably practiced today and won't have an update until tomorrow because it is all about how injured players respond

This is a bad take.

Posted Images

1 minute ago, trusthaprocess said:

So am I the only one stashing this guy?

I am in a FAAB only league ($1,000) and I snagged him a couple Sundays ago, Nov 12. It is weekly lineups and FAAB. Start 12, 4 man bench. I have been fortunate with health and had the luxury of stashing on my bench and I got him for $3. In general I am pretty patient and my roster is allowing me to be patient. I don't expect many minutes or production until the last week of December, but those won't make him a weekly starter. I am in it for the second half potential or when the minutes creep to 25+. He is stocks insurance, and I think if you view him as insurance or a lottery ticket that is probably the best way to approach it. I don't think he will be a savior this year. 

• Thanks 1
23 hours ago, rando said:

I added him for MKG who I am tired of patiently waiting for to blow up. 

This was yesterday, and it happened immediately after reading Rotoworld's roundtable column. All the guys gushed about Isaac, and I figured next league mate who read it would take him off the wire. He has so much upside, with my six man bench this was a total no-brainer.

• Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, rando said:

This was yesterday, and it happened immediately after reading Rotoworld's roundtable column. All the guys gushed about Isaac, and I figured next league mate who read it would take him off the wire. He has so much upside, with my six man bench this was a total no-brainer.

I read that as well, but I also had him on my watch list before T Ross got injured. He was getting decent minutes even before his injury. With that injury, he became a must add. That article just confirmed by opinions about him. 

Are those of you stashing right now all playing in keeper/dynasty leagues? If you play in a redraft league, isn't it better to just pick up guys like Wesley Johnson, MKG, or Aminu (assuming you are in standard size leagues). Won't those guys put up similar numbers to what you hope Isaac will? Or do you guys expect much better numbers than that?

5 minutes ago, Bugs bunny said:

In redraft leagues he should have been drafted/stashed in deeper 12 teams and higher.

How many minutes do you expect him to get? And what type of line do you see him producing in those minutes?

1 minute ago, bballshinobi said:

How many minutes do you expect him to get? And what type of line do you see him producing in those minutes?

I stay away from worrying about those types of things.  I've learned to be more of a wait and see type manager.

10 minutes ago, bballshinobi said:

Probably a slight uptick in what he was getting before. 25 MPG is reasonable, right? I'm thinking 8/6/1 with an occasional 3 and around 1.5 blocks and 1-1.5 steals are reasonable numbers for him. 

1 hour ago, bballshinobi said:

Are those of you stashing right now all playing in keeper/dynasty leagues? If you play in a redraft league, isn't it better to just pick up guys like Wesley Johnson, MKG, or Aminu (assuming you are in standard size leagues). Won't those guys put up similar numbers to what you hope Isaac will? Or do you guys expect much better numbers than that?

I have him in my dynasty and I have him stashed in a redraft. I don't factor in dynasty because that is an entirely different animal. 

In terms of expectations/projections in a redraft....my league rosters 192 players. The MKG, Aminu types have been drafted and stashed away. Wes Johnson went in FAAB for about $45. For reference, Isaac cost me $3. In terms of FAAB, it is a value play. Also, Wes Johnson's outlook greatly changed when Blake went down. He went for $45 prior to Blake's injury and that is important context. Essentially, Wes Johnson was a placeholder for Gallo a week ago.

Expectations vary by owner. Personally, I have Favors and I am protecting, or trying to insure myself against his downside, with Isaac. I have no idea if it will work, but I vividly remember the lack of stocks Favors provided when Gobert was around. Isaac will exceed those levels of stocks so the rest of the line is secondary to me. Also, I don't expect much in terms of minutes for a good bit. But he was proving to be serviceable with minutes in the low 20s. I am in a weekly lineup setting, so a 4 game week for Isaac at 22 mpg is still something I can tap into if needed. If those minutes creep to 25-30 then I think 2 stocks with something like 9ish points, 5ish boards on decent %'s works to capture his stocks. 

I also 100% understand and agree with your sentiment about using more proven commodities. Unfortunately, not every league has those commodities available at this time. 

With Terrence Ross out, he's a definite stash. He offers that rare combination of threes, rebounds, blocks...and offense. Yes, I said it. Offense. You can't see it now but he has it. And as time goes on, he'll progressively get better and better. I think it's easy to look at a small sample size and think he doesn't have the offense...but this kid actually is gifted offensively as well. He can *actually* shoot the ball. He's not like the majority of high-school to NBA players where he's completely dependent on athleticism. Just look at all of his highlights. This kid can shoot. I'm really excited about this kid. For keeper leagues, he's probably one of the most exciting players out there. Probably the most upside to date. I wouldn't rank him above Simmons but he definitely will overtake Tatum, Mitchell, Lari, Dennis Smith Jr, Daaron Fox, Lonzo Ball and Collins in terms of fantasy NBA statistics in about three years.  I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up being something like Giannis or Durant in about 3-4 years.

Edited by Rotokilla
5 minutes ago, Rotokilla said:

With Terrence Ross out, he's a definite stash. He offers that rare combination of threes, rebounds, blocks...and offense. Yes, I said it. Offense. You can't see it now but he has it. And as time goes on, he'll progressively get better and better. I think it's easy to look at a small sample size and think he doesn't have the offense...but this kid actually is gifted offensively as well. He can *actually* shoot the ball. He's not like the majority of high-school to NBA players where he's completely dependent on athleticism. Just look at all of his highlights. This kid can shoot. I'm really excited about this kid. For keeper leagues, he's probably one of the most exciting players out there. Probably the most upside to date. I wouldn't rank him above Simmons but he definitely will overtake Tatum, Mitchell, Lari, Dennis Smith Jr, Daaron Fox, Lonzo Ball and Collins in terms of fantasy NBA statistics in about three years.  I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up being something like Giannis or Durant in about 3-4 years.

Woah. So you see him as the top fantasy player in 3-4 years? 

You should def. stash but be realistic about what you expect out of him in a re-draft league.

In a dynasty league though I'd be drooling over the potential this kid has. I have a feeling the Magic hit the jackpot with this kid, but it was take time

2 hours ago, IkeDola510 said:

Yes he is if you can afford to stash for about a week. If he can get around 25 mins he's going to put up some elite def cats. 

how is he projected for points and rebounds? I don't really know anything about him but the per 36 stocks are clearly very good. and i see that he can hit 3s.

would you expect more than 10 pts and 6 rebs in 25 mins? what are the projected stocks as well?

39 minutes ago, richg24 said:

how is he projected for points and rebounds? I don't really know anything about him but the per 36 stocks are clearly very good. and i see that he can hit 3s.

would you expect more than 10 pts and 6 rebs in 25 mins? what are the projected stocks as well?

Yes is expect him to reach those stats. 1.3 blks  and a stl. High shooting%

His offensive game is unpolished but as the season goes he will get better. His defense is already close to elite imo. No worries there. 

• Thanks 1