Jump to content
NBC Sports Edge Forums

Jonathon Isaac 2017-2018 Season Outlook


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The Magic are going to let this kid feast, and he is going to take advantage of that opportunity.  As a SF, in that line up, and Fournier hurt, we're looking at   PG: Payton SG: Simmons

They played 3 in 4 with a B2B Friday/Saturday. Sunday was probably a rest day. They probably practiced today and won't have an update until tomorrow because it is all about how injured players respond

This is a bad take.

Posted Images

28 minutes ago, stevenzhang said:

@trusthaprocess  8/6/1/1.5/2? That seems too good to be true BUT I'm going to trust you because you have Mitchell and Evans on your team.

OK, 1.5 and 2 might be stretching it, but he was averaging 1.7 blocks in November before he went down. 1 steal per game might be abit more realistic. But I took a flier on him for the blocks. Anything else is a bonus. 

 

Yeah, I just remained alert. I research. This article led me to get Evans. 

 

https://www.rotoballer.com/fantasy-basketball-week-3-analysis-waiver-wire-adds/423124

 

Tyreke Evans, SG/SF, Memphis Grizzlies (29% Ownership): The former Rookie of the Year in 2009 has been a forgotten man thanks for injuries. The Memphis Grizzlies signed him this off season, in hopes that he can be the team’s Sixth Man and provide a much-needed spark off the bench. Evans has shown this ability thus far this season with averages of 12.3 points, 5.7 rebounds, 2.2 assists and 1.7 3-pointers, good for late round value. Not bad for a guy who you can get off the waiver wire right now.

 

I can't find the article for Mitchell, but I got him after that 3/21 game. I knew he was for real in Summer League. Someone got scared after that game and dropped him. I scooped him up and never looked back! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, trusthaprocess said:

OK, 1.5 and 2 might be stretching it, but he was averaging 1.7 blocks in November before he went down. 1 steal per game might be abit more realistic. But I took a flier on him for the blocks. Anything else is a bonus. 

 

Yeah, I just remained alert. I research. This article led me to get Evans. 

 

https://www.rotoballer.com/fantasy-basketball-week-3-analysis-waiver-wire-adds/423124

 

Tyreke Evans, SG/SF, Memphis Grizzlies (29% Ownership): The former Rookie of the Year in 2009 has been a forgotten man thanks for injuries. The Memphis Grizzlies signed him this off season, in hopes that he can be the team’s Sixth Man and provide a much-needed spark off the bench. Evans has shown this ability thus far this season with averages of 12.3 points, 5.7 rebounds, 2.2 assists and 1.7 3-pointers, good for late round value. Not bad for a guy who you can get off the waiver wire right now.

 

I can't find the article for Mitchell, but I got him after that 3/21 game. I knew he was for real in Summer League. Someone got scared after that game and dropped him. I scooped him up and never looked back! 

The blocks and the steals are for real. That's his talent, a guy with long arms and athletics that be a monster on D. The only thing holding him back is the offense and the TO. Hopefully the magic being a better team than last year will be good for him.

 

Pick him up! From a guy that drafted Tatum and picked up D Mitch

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, rob0403 said:

The blocks and the steals are for real. That's his talent, a guy with long arms and athletics that be a monster on D. The only thing holding him back is the offense and the TO. Hopefully the magic being a better team than last year will be good for him.

 

Pick him up! From a guy that drafted Tatum and picked up D Mitch

Tatum has been a stud this year! I'll take your advice haha

Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, RipCity0 said:

In a dynasty league he is a top asset. How wasn't he drafted? Everyone win now? He is must own in any dynasty league. 

It's year 4/5 so after next year you throw everyone back in the draft. So a keeper that may take a few years to breakout is not must draft. Now if I had him for the next 4-5 yrs he would've been must draft 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, LosingEffort said:

Best starting five for Orlando is 

Payton Fournier Simmons Isaac Vucevic 

I think he's better than Aaron Gordon 

Orlando is losing every game since he's injured 

Wouldn't simmons be better 6th and Isaac slides into the 3 position? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Stefan said:

Guys please... 
is this hype 4real... 
or is it just like with Jarrett Allen and Jordan Bell... ?????
I really can't tell 
Shhiieet  :D

If you're expecting immediate results as with the other guys mentioned that it's hype for now. But these guys get hyped for a reason, I expect Isaac to get consistent minutes and flash his upside more likely around February then right now...but he might not be sitting on your wire come February

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Slickthenick said:

If you're expecting immediate results as with the other guys mentioned that it's hype for now. But these guys get hyped for a reason, I expect Isaac to get consistent minutes and flash his upside more likely around February then right now...but he might not be sitting on your wire come February

That's all the answer I need (runnig :D now ) 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Page 3 of this thread was people trying to figure out some realistic production considering his minutes are going to be somewhere in the 20s once he gets off of minutes limit from injury. The conversation was realistic. The alternatives to target that were "veterans" were also realistic.


Page 4 and 5 has some unrealistic expectations mounting and even a mention of him starting over Aaron Gordon (wtf). This is the first time I can remember that a rookie, who never cracked 30 minutes, has been out a while with an ankle sprain, and his stock skyrockets. What other rookie has had his hype grow while he was hurt and sitting out games?

 

The kid is young. He has some tools, but he isn't going to be a savior. If he slides into minutes at the 3 with the majority of Payton, Fournier, Gordon, Vuc surrounding him exactly where are his shots coming from? Are they running any action for him as the clear 5th option? He will space and get hustle plays. Even his minutes at the 4, if Gordon or Vuc are at the 5 the offense is going to run through them. If Bismack is at the 5 then he has a chance to get some offensive opportunity. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Fantasy GMs tend to do this with rookies and unknown players. You ask them what they project and they tell you numbers that not many proven stars can currently produce or they start telling themselves a story about how that player will magically get playing time and usage. 

 

I think picking up Isaac is still the right move if you have a player to drop though. Owning an unknown is always more fun than owning proven mediocrity. There's always that 1% chance he somehow fulfills the hype this year instead of next year lol

 

 

 

4 hours ago, thezing1 said:

Page 3 of this thread was people trying to figure out some realistic production considering his minutes are going to be somewhere in the 20s once he gets off of minutes limit from injury. The conversation was realistic. The alternatives to target that were "veterans" were also realistic.


Page 4 and 5 has some unrealistic expectations mounting and even a mention of him starting over Aaron Gordon (wtf). This is the first time I can remember that a rookie, who never cracked 30 minutes, has been out a while with an ankle sprain, and his stock skyrockets. What other rookie has had his hype grow while he was hurt and sitting out games?

 

The kid is young. He has some tools, but he isn't going to be a savior. If he slides into minutes at the 3 with the majority of Payton, Fournier, Gordon, Vuc surrounding him exactly where are his shots coming from? Are they running any action for him as the clear 5th option? He will space and get hustle plays. Even his minutes at the 4, if Gordon or Vuc are at the 5 the offense is going to run through them. If Bismack is at the 5 then he has a chance to get some offensive opportunity. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

This has the Jarrett Allen Experience written all over itself. Just like with Allen, people are manufacturing hype out of nothing with this kid. Yeah, maybe he produces for a 3-4 weeks at the end of the regular season when Orlando gets eliminated from the playoffs race. Yes, dynasty league owners should be excited, but also already own him.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't understand why is everyone saying he might be a letdown pickup like Jarrett Allen. They are rookies for god sake!

 

When y'all pick them up you expect them to have monster numbers. They are letdowns only because of your high expectations. I picked up Allen a week ago and haven't dropped him yet, I am pleasead with what he gave so far knowing he can get better. I mean, he had 12-6 the last game with 60%, that's great for a low-end big.

 

The same thing will probably be with Isaac, so keep your expectations in check. Always add those guys like you know they will be low-end players (and drop the low-end players for them, not some mid-round players) and if he doesn't get good numbers you can just drop him like any other streamer and you won't feel sorry. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Slickthenick said:

If you're expecting immediate results as with the other guys mentioned that it's hype for now. But these guys get hyped for a reason, I expect Isaac to get consistent minutes and flash his upside more likely around February then right now...but he might not be sitting on your wire come February

 

The development process with Isaac is different than with Bell for two major reasons:

 

1. Ross' season is over, it opens up a lot of additional PT for Isaac

 

2. Isaac was already performing at very nice levels in 15-20 minutes previously, and that's as a last ditch guy in the first unit. The Injury to Ross is a huge opportunity for his touches to go up

 

3. He flashes the rare 1 / 1 / 1 potential, sure guys like Mbah a moute and Wesley Johnson do the same, but they don't have this guy's ceiling, and the scary thing is he hits his freethrows.. that's pretty rare for the 1 / 1 / 1 club PF members.

 

4. His team has struggled mightily without him, which says a lot. Vogel explained that losing Isaac messed up their defense. The record speaks volumes (they likely would've come back down to earth, but they were giving up far fewer points with him than without him). They've lost a ton since he got injured, but won a lot with him.

 

5. If the Magic keep losing even after he returns, there is a good chance they just blow it up and move Vucevic and / or Fournier, which can only mean better things ahead for Isaac, especially if they start tanking.

 

For me personally I'm waiting a few games in his return to see how he does with Ross out, and what his role is. I wouldn't cut anyone valuable of course, but if you have some crappy end of the bench guy, this guy could be a monster. 

 

 

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JormaJormala said:

This has the Jarrett Allen Experience written all over itself. Just like with Allen, people are manufacturing hype out of nothing with this kid. Yeah, maybe he produces for a 3-4 weeks at the end of the regular season when Orlando gets eliminated from the playoffs race. Yes, dynasty league owners should be excited, but also already own him.

 

 

It's a completely different situation than Allen.

 

Isaac was a top 6 pick, he's more talented. Backup rookie Centers get fed a lot less, and BKN's system isn't about feeding their bigs anyhow. Bigs take longer to develop, and Isaac is further ahead on the development scale talent wise. 

 

Isaac has already flashed his 1 - 1 - 1 potential with a plethora of multi-cat lines, Allen has barely had any noteworthy games, the only ones consistently hyping him up is rotoworld. They've pretty much hyped up every rookie not named Fultz. They go ga-ga for shiny new toys.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, bballshinobi said:

Fantasy GMs tend to do this with rookies and unknown players. You ask them what they project and they tell you numbers that not many proven stars can currently produce or they start telling themselves a story about how that player will magically get playing time and usage. 

 

I think picking up Isaac is still the right move if you have a player to drop though. Owning an unknown is always more fun than owning proven mediocrity. There's always that 1% chance he somehow fulfills the hype this year instead of next year lol

 

 

 

 

Well said, man.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...