NBC Sports Edge Forums

Jonathon Isaac 2017-2018 Season Outlook

The Magic are going to let this kid feast, and he is going to take advantage of that opportunity.  As a SF, in that line up, and Fournier hurt, we're looking at

PG: Payton

SG: Simmons

SF: Isaac

PF: Gordon

C: Vucevic

Gordon and Isaac make up one of the best defensive Forward combos in the league.  Isaac is not a ball dominant guy, more of a 3rd option on offense, and probably 4th option in this lineup.  That fits his abilities right now, with out putting too much pressure on him out of the gate.  He is a smart player, very aware of his abilities, and does not force the issue.  I see him fitting beautifully into this lineup, and I'll go as far as saying that the Magic will be a play-off team next year considering AG's ridiculous shooting development, and Elfrid Payton still needing consistency, but with the weapons developing around him to be a triple double threat, and Vuc now able to spread the floor with his 3pt shot, this team is going to give EVERYBODY headaches on both ends.  Vuc lacks the ability to hold down the paint on defense, but Gordon, and Isaac can certainly protect the interior together to make up for that.  There's plenty of talk about the 76ers future, and obviously Boston is built to be contenders for the next 3-5 years, but don't sleep on the Magic being right up there with the Bucks, as a team in the East that's full of young, special talent.  

Anyway, I see Isaac getting comfortable in the weeks leading up to the ASB once he comes back at the end of the week, and his second half will be:

1 3pter, 12 pts, 6 reb,  2 assists, 1.2 stls, 1.5 blks per game. 

Similar to Danny Green type stats, with a better shooting percentage, and more rebounds, but less 3pters.  This is all based on him starting at SF, and maybe staggered with AG to cover the PF position, too while AG rests.  With 28-30mpg, these stats are attainable, but second half, health being key, he should receive 32-34 mpg, and the line above will be almost a lock.  Stash this guy.  He is special, and a perfect fit for an up-and-coming Magic squad a year or two away from being "kind of a big deal". 

Lastly, Isaac grew up playing Guard, and hit a growth spurt very recently.  He's not a playmaker per-say, but the kid has well above average handles and passing ability for someone 6'10".  They say he's closer to 6'11" now, and could become a true 7fter SF in the next year or two.  Giannis is miles ahead of him in development, but I followed the Freak since 2014, and watch him go from a physically gifted potential beast, to a top 5 NBA player with the possibility of being one of the greatest of all time.  It would be too early to truly compare the two, but there are more similarities in Isaac and Giannis, than anyone in the league not named Brandon Ingram. Defensively, Isaac is already closer to Giannis, but Ingram is ahead in scoring ability and assists.  This is an exciting time for 7ft SF's.  Durant and Lebron paved the way for nearly perfect physical specimens to run the positionless, present day NBA.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3
  • Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The Magic are going to let this kid feast, and he is going to take advantage of that opportunity.  As a SF, in that line up, and Fournier hurt, we're looking at   PG: Payton SG: Simmons

They played 3 in 4 with a B2B Friday/Saturday. Sunday was probably a rest day. They probably practiced today and won't have an update until tomorrow because it is all about how injured players respond

This is a bad take.

Posted Images

2 hours ago, HulkSmash said:

The Magic are going to let this kid feast, and he is going to take advantage of that opportunity.  As a SF, in that line up, and Fournier hurt, we're looking at

PG: Payton

SG: Simmons

SF: Isaac

PF: Gordon

C: Vucevic

Gordon and Isaac make up one of the best defensive Forward combos in the league.  Isaac is not a ball dominant guy, more of a 3rd option on offense, and probably 4th option in this lineup.  That fits his abilities right now, with out putting too much pressure on him out of the gate.  He is a smart player, very aware of his abilities, and does not force the issue.  I see him fitting beautifully into this lineup, and I'll go as far as saying that the Magic will be a play-off team next year considering AG's ridiculous shooting development, and Elfrid Payton still needing consistency, but with the weapons developing around him to be a triple double threat, and Vuc now able to spread the floor with his 3pt shot, this team is going to give EVERYBODY headaches on both ends.  Vuc lacks the ability to hold down the paint on defense, but Gordon, and Isaac can certainly protect the interior together to make up for that.  There's plenty of talk about the 76ers future, and obviously Boston is built to be contenders for the next 3-5 years, but don't sleep on the Magic being right up there with the Bucks, as a team in the East that's full of young, special talent.  

Anyway, I see Isaac getting comfortable in the weeks leading up to the ASB once he comes back at the end of the week, and his second half will be:

1 3pter, 12 pts, 6 reb,  2 assists, 1.2 stls, 1.5 blks per game. 

Similar to Danny Green type stats, with a better shooting percentage, and more rebounds, but less 3pters.  This is all based on him starting at SF, and maybe staggered with AG to cover the PF position, too while AG rests.  With 28-30mpg, these stats are attainable, but second half, health being key, he should receive 32-34 mpg, and the line above will be almost a lock.  Stash this guy.  He is special, and a perfect fit for an up-and-coming Magic squad a year or two away from being "kind of a big deal". 

Lastly, Isaac grew up playing Guard, and hit a growth spurt very recently.  He's not a playmaker per-say, but the kid has well above average handles and passing ability for someone 6'10".  They say he's closer to 6'11" now, and could become a true 7fter SF in the next year or two.  Giannis is miles ahead of him in development, but I followed the Freak since 2014, and watch him go from a physically gifted potential beast, to a top 5 NBA player with the possibility of being one of the greatest of all time.  It would be too early to truly compare the two, but there are more similarities in Isaac and Giannis, than anyone in the league not named Brandon Ingram. Defensively, Isaac is already closer to Giannis, but Ingram is ahead in scoring ability and assists.  This is an exciting time for 7ft SF's.  Durant and Lebron paved the way for nearly perfect physical specimens to run the positionless, present day NBA.  

So basically what most of us though Chriss would do. I’m in. 

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, greatestmetfan said:

Sunday???????? I need some stocks!

They play Friday/Saturday so the most action you'll get on Sunday out of him is maybe practice, or him playing Call of Duty or watching football on the couch :P

BTW can a mod change the name of this thread? His name is JonathAn... the JonathOn on the Magic is Jonathon Simmons...

Edited by SirMixalot
  • Like 1
9 minutes ago, SirMixalot said:

They play Friday/Saturday so the most action you'll get on Sunday out of him is maybe practice, or him playing Call of Duty or watching football on the couch :P

BTW can a mod change the name of this thread? His name is JonathAn... the JonathOn on the Magic is Jonathon Simmons...

Saturday??????? I need some stocks! lol

5 minutes ago, DoctorLove said:

What's december 13th?  Beginning of a home stretch?

kind of

DEC 13th is right after THREE day layoff with zero games after playing @ ATL and since he has been ruled out recently without much news even though hes been "close" im just banking on a feeling around the situation from reading articles and such that the long layoff is what they are waiting for to activate him

and its been the only 3 day lay off since the middle of november when he wasnt considered this close

100% a take it FWIW comment however, no sources, just my prediction from being a fan of the team and keeping tabs on what theyre doing

Edited by kmoore1521

Gordon's face made direct contact with Gary Harris' shoulder on a drive, and while he initially played through it after talking to the trainers, he was subbed out for a good a few moments later. He will now enter the NBA's concussion protocol and will not play on Saturday vs. Atlanta. 

If it is really a concussion he could miss more then a week. 

Man, Isaac will get all the minutes he can handle, so glad I picked him up.

1 minute ago, Mad Luke said:

Gordon's face made direct contact with Gary Harris' shoulder on a drive, and while he initially played through it after talking to the trainers, he was subbed out for a good a few moments later. He will now enter the NBA's concussion protocol and will not play on Saturday vs. Atlanta. 

If it is really a concussion he could miss more then a week. 

Man, Isaac will get all the minutes he can handle, so glad I picked him up.

If he will play...im wishing he will play tom too lol

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, theantishere said:

When the Magic are at full strength, does Isaac project to get a lot of burn still? Or is he more of a second half stash in that scenario?

First he needs to go back to the court, and you watch him play to decide. 

1 minute ago, sickrookie said:

First he needs to go back to the court, and you watch him play to decide. 

Well, yeah. But it would be nice to have a little clarity from people who follow the Magic and/or this situation more closely than I do. With one more move left this week, it'd help to get more info right now since there's really no timetable for his return.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, theantishere said:

Well, yeah. But it would be nice to have a little clarity from people who follow the Magic and/or this situation more closely than I do. With one more move left this week, it'd help to get more info right now since there's really no timetable for his return.

Early next week book it! 

I have no idea

• Thanks 1

Didn't think he would be back this weekend. 

They are off until Wed the 13th, he has this whole weekend/early next wk to recoup. 

If he's truly progressing like the reports said, this should def be the more realistic return game. 

If if he isn't playing or at very least getting some full contact work in by then...then we should be concerned. All reports been vague to say the least.