NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Jonathon Isaac 2017-2018 Season Outlook

On 12/9/2017 at 1:33 PM, trusthaprocess said:

Orlando isn't offering any update, this ain't looking good! They said "close" last week, that's why I've been optimistic! But not even an update today, sheesh, now he has a couple days more rest, he should come back next game...I'm thinking!

They played 3 in 4 with a B2B Friday/Saturday. Sunday was probably a rest day. They probably practiced today and won't have an update until tomorrow because it is all about how injured players respond after practice. 

Just chill out. Impatience with a return tends to lead to unrealistic expectations upon the return. He is going to be on a minutes limit for sure. He has a chance to carve out a big role, but it isn't really urgent because Gordon will return before Isaac's minutes limit is removed so it won't matter. Just let the kid get healthy and hope that he doesn't tweak it again. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, thezing1 said:

They played 3 in 4 with a B2B Friday/Saturday. Sunday was probably a rest day. They probably practiced today and won't have an update until tomorrow because it is all about how injured players respond after practice. 

Just chill out. Impatience with a return tends to lead to unrealistic expectations upon the return. He is going to be on a minutes limit for sure. He has a chance to carve out a big role, but it isn't really urgent because Gordon will return before Isaac's minutes limit is removed so it won't matter. Just let the kid get healthy and hope that he doesn't tweak it again. 

Well said

Josh Robbins‏Verified account 
@JoshuaBRobbins
The Magic's preliminary injury report for tomorrow's game against the Clippers lists Aaron Gordon as questionable because of his concussion and Arron Afflalo as questionable with back spasms. Evan Fournier, Jonathan Isaac and Terrence Ross are listed as out.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, chud12 said:

Josh Robbins‏Verified account 
@JoshuaBRobbins
The Magic's preliminary injury report for tomorrow's game against the Clippers lists Aaron Gordon as questionable because of his concussion and Arron Afflalo as questionable with back spasms. Evan Fournier, Jonathan Isaac and Terrence Ross are listed as out.

Man... I was hoping tomorrow would be the day.  Is he even practicing right now?

6 minutes ago, DoctorLove said:

Man... I was hoping tomorrow would be the day.  Is he even practicing right now?

Personally, I don't think he's close. There has been zero updates since we saw him during shootaround, I think he had a setback and the Magic have just been low key about it like they always are. Getting ruled out a day in advance is never ever a good sign. 

11 minutes ago, chud12 said:

Personally, I don't think he's close. There has been zero updates since we saw him during shootaround, I think he had a setback and the Magic have just been low key about it like they always are. Getting ruled out a day in advance is never ever a good sign. 

Bummer if that's the case.  I have two IL spots, so I'll just keep stashing, but I was really hoping to see what he can do with an increase in playing time.

Old article (came out 11/29), but it says the following about his 11/28 practice:

"After practice Tuesday, Jonathan Isaac was going through several dribbling drills with assistant coach Jay Hernandez. The going was slow for the rookie. He has missed the last eight games with a sprained ankle and had not been back on the court for a practice since that time.

His movements are still a bit ginger. During one shooting drill, he appeared to tweak his ankle and stumbled back to the starting point to restart. Little tweaks like that will happen. The ankle is a notoriously tricky area to allow to heal and it is clear Isaac is not fully up to speed."

Sounds like he probably has suffered some type of setback, although that's pure speculation on my part based on the comment from the article.  Wouldn't be surprised if he's out until after the New Year.

29 minutes ago, chud12 said:

.@OrlandoMagic got Nikola Vucevic & DJ Augustin back to practice today after overcoming minor injuries, but Arron Afflalo (back spasms) missed the practice. Aaron Gordon (concussion) & Jonathan Isaac (ankle) did non-contact work

He’s not close. 

Thats what I was fearing. 

13 minutes ago, greatestmetfan said:

How high are we on this guy? Very curious what the forum thinks about him, am I dumb for holding for the last week?

I've been holding him too. The problem with my WW is that I know what everyone else is capable of. Isaac is the unknown with upside who can provide stocks. I'm hoping he's a better Aminu. 

Edited by blabety
  • Like 2

How high are we on this guy? Very curious what the forum thinks about him, am I dumb for holding for the last week?

yes you are, he is just hype at this point and a luxary stash lol...everyone holding him like hes the next fantasy stud lol.

Not all holds are created equal. Is your league weekly or daily? H2H/roto? Does it have an IR spot? Do you need to utilize every roster spot including your bench? How deep is your league? All of these questions make it impossible to make a blanket statement, but the fact that we are on page 8 for a guy that hasn't played in a long time should say that people are intrigued by his fantasy friendly game. If it makes you feel better I have been holding since Nov. 12th. Let me know if anyone needs to know my league settings to put that in context. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, JChan17 said:

yes you are, he is just hype at this point and a luxary stash lol...everyone holding him like hes the next fantasy stud lol.

You say he is a luxury stash right after saying that greatestmetfan was dumb to have stashed him for a week. Very confusing, especially since you have no idea what size league he is in. You have no idea if he has a stash spot on his bench. You have no idea if it is roto or H2H. Weekly/daily.  It is impossible to make a statement like you did without knowing a lot more details.

Edited by thezing1

2 minutes ago, JChan17 said:

says the guy who will pick him up next week lol. Not many high upside guys left on the waiver. He offers the John Collins euphoria effect.

30 minutes ago, greatestmetfan said:

Hold if you can I have an IR spot. I'm really high on him. I was high on him coming out of college. I thought he was the best prospect honestly. The Ross injury just opens up more hope for me. 

I think he's better than Jason Tatum... similar but I think Isaac has better defense.

43 minutes ago, greatestmetfan said:

Looking at his game log and seeing those blk's, how can anyone not be high on this guy. AND he's a decent shooter

I've been dicking around with the Wes Johnson's of the world, this guys' going to save my team.

Vogel feels the same way.

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, JChan17 said:

Lots of leagues have INJ slots genius. Costing most of us absolutely nothing to wait and see, If someone more important get's injured and i need that slot then I move on with no worries. Why wouldn't we stash if we can afford to??????

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Mad Luke said:

Why is it so hard to get an update on this guy?? Is it a government secret? It's not like I want to find out what he ate for lunch today, how hard it is for someone to report if he practiced or not?!

Maybe this will teach you not to bother owning any Orlando players. Most frustrating team in the NBA for fantasy managers.

I'm in 12 team 9 cat H2H sorry I gotta update my signature.

Seems like people still feel good about his defensive value so I'll continue to hold.

Last 2 weeks I lost Jokic, Wall, Hood, THJ and so last week I was not competing even a little bit and only have one IR. So because I wasn't competing I snagged him knowing most of my guys are back this week like I was expecting for him. Appreciate all the answers @SkalChriston @thezing1 @blabety @IkeDola510and even see where @JChan17 is coming from as Isaac is a rookie.

Still holding because I'm fine playoff wise and everyone is back this week except THJ. I'll be revisiting this thread after his 1st game back to hopefully brag about the hold.

7 minutes ago, greatestmetfan said:

I'm in 12 team 9 cat H2H sorry I gotta update my signature.

Seems like people still feel good about his defensive value so I'll continue to hold.

Last 2 weeks I lost Jokic, Wall, Hood, THJ and so last week I was not competing even a little bit and only have one IR. So because I wasn't competing I snagged him knowing most of my guys are back this week like I was expecting for him. Appreciate all the answers @SkalChriston @thezing1 @blabety @IkeDola510and even see where @JChan17 is coming from as Isaac is a rookie.

Still holding because I'm fine playoff wise and everyone is back this week except THJ. I'll be revisiting this thread after his 1st game back to hopefully brag about the hold.

For specifics I think the AC is the way to go or shoot a direct message. 

But, this is a really smart example of tanking a week or two in a H2H because of injury. One IR slot and Wall, Jokic, THJ, Hood out means you have almost no chance to compete until those guys get back. I think Wall and Jokic will be back with good minutes to start next week so you probably don't have too much time stashing Isaac. In this case, you are literally free rolling Isaac for your second half/playoff stretch and it isn't costing you anything because there is no way you win a week where Jokic and Wall aren't playing. I think you need to stick with THJ in the IR slot though, but wouldn't know for sure unless I saw your roster and understood your team build strategy. 

• Like 1