NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Donovan Mitchell 2017-18 Season Outlook

with that kind of usage he has to be a hold. it's not like he's consistently bad. he's just consistently inconsistent. i mean, imagine if half of those shots fell. You don't wanna miss out on that. He has the minutes and the green light. It's easy for me as I'm punting FG, but I can see why he wont' fit in most teams.

He looks like more hype than he deserves.  I would sell him if people are still so sure he's going to be a star.  He looks like the 6th best PG in this draft.  A deep PG draft for sure.  I would rather have Ntilikina.  Actually, I think I would rather have Ntilikina than Fox even.  He's going to surprise a lot of people.  But Mitchel looks completely MEH. 

I watched 75% of the game, since I got both Mitchell and Hood. Alot of Mitchell's shots were in-and-outs. It just wasn't his night.

Hold? Oh you bet ya. But expect this to happen with a rookie, not the first and won't be the last! Look at the positive side- started second half infront of Hood, had the green light to take 20 shots, and still aggressive as heck. 

Let's hope for a bounce back on the next one. 

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, NBA_OG said:

I watched 75% of the game, since I got both Mitchell and Hood. Alot of Mitchell's shots were in-and-outs. It just wasn't his night.

Hold? Oh you bet ya. But expect this to happen with a rookie, not the first and won't be the last! Look at the positive side- started second half infront of Hood, had the green light to take 20 shots, and still aggressive as heck. 

Let's hope for a bounce back on the next one. 

Yes. Most of his shots were almost in and about half of his attempts were wide open. Just can't make a bucket tonight. He'll be inconsistent like any rookie but he'll be ok.

The coach likes him and he has the green light.  He just needs to learn to not force shots specially when he is cold.   

• Thanks 1

Kid can really play. He's an extremely gritty player. 

I saw enough of him in the previous games, of his movements and body language on the court, to believe he will be a big time player in a few years.

Def a hold for me. No coach will give a rookie that much usage without expecting big things from him.

"He looks like more hype than he deserves."

No. He put up a fantastic series of games that ranked him 19th overall for the week. Had a bad game yesterday, and even for a streaky rookie that DM is, yesterdays game was an extreme outlier. 

I see threads of many nba players that are certainly overhyped in terms of fantasy this year such as Bogdan Bogdanovic, or Fox and DSJ both who have bright futures ahead but lack fantasy friendly games. Biggest difference is that Mitchell was likely picked up for free in many leagues and other rookies were actually drafted. People tend to give a longer leash to the rookies that they've burned a draft pick on.

• Like 2

He didn't drain his shots tonight but this is starting to feel like Brandon Ingram at the start of the year. Brandon sucked too but he had the green light to take a ton of shots and he's doing pretty well now. 

Think about it this way, Mitchell was allowed to take 21 shots!  And he has great stocks potential. Be ready for a bumpy ride and lose Fg% in random weeks.

He's a rookie. What did you all expect? 20 points a night on 50% from the field. He's gonna go through ups and downs. We've seen both now. He's still a clear hold. Better believe he's gonna be on a lot of playoff teams late in the season

He's going to have value, this early in the season acquiring that is good even if it doesn't fit your squad. I'm a big fan of bundling WW pickups into 2 for 1 or 3 for 2 deals where you upgrade (in line with your build) and open up another spot for streaming or value adding.

Long term if you're a keeper you just have to add this kid, he's got the look

What matter's the most is that Utah has only Joe Jonhson and D.Mitchell from the bench...

Sefolosha, Burks, Neto are almost out of the rotation....

Behind Rubio, Wood (Injury risk) and Ingles....Snyder has only 2 options for 3 slot positions..

Even if they stays heathly, Mitchell will improve his minutes all along the season..all staters can handle 48min each game..

However, you have to punt %FG some weeks...

But, for me, with my punt %FG team...at the moment, he is the Gold Free Agent..

Edited by 23_gaby_23

39 minutes ago, THE_MAGIC_MAN said:

If you're close in FG% by tonight would you still start him tomorrow & Saturday?

Depends, are you hoping to pick up at least 2 categories in his stat profile? If not why risk losing one you have? He can definitely sink you completely in FG% if he has a night like the last time, so make sure its worth it.