NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Donovan Mitchell 2017-18 Season Outlook

14 minutes ago, doomz said:

he's getting better every game, no question about it.

these highlights are scary..

Beast. He's looking much more comfortable now than he did the first few games. Not forcing much anymore. Sneaky athletic. 

That athleticism is off the charts, what a pure natural talent.. scary. He's got the entire package really (aside from posting up due to his height). He sort of reminds me of a hybrid between CJ Mccollum and pre-injury Eric Gordon (someone mentioned it here earlier and it's pretty spot on). He reads the defense really well, weaves in and out between traffic, plays the pick and roll, real nice smooth jumpshot, knows how to put a defender on his hip, can finish with both hands in traffic with high arcing layups off the top of the glass, an array of spin moves and crossovers, the whole thing. 

Incredible to see how talented some of the rookies are in the crop this year, Mitchell looks like a perennial allstar. 

It's rare to get a reaction out of me on a dunk nowadays, the last time I did that was when I saw Terrence Ross "poster" Ryan Anderson and Kenneth Faried, that twisting Alley oop dunk Mitchell had today looked electric - for half a second it reminded me of Vince Carter, I actually moved in my seat and went OH. 

Anyways, a part of me inside dies every time this guy puts up a big line, I hate knowing I dropped him 5 games into the season, he was on the waiver wire an entire week while starting to put together good lines and I was capped out on my weekly moves and couldn't grab him.. and here we are.

Hurts.

Quin Snyder really has to be commended here. He understands the intricacies of his own roster. He doesn't just ride vets because of their status / definition / label. One of my biggest gripes with the NBA is the "boys club" aspect of it, you see guys like Melo go under screens time and again - get punished for it (see Aaron Gordon the other night), and they still get their 30+ minutes because he's Melo. You have a rookie / sophmore doing that even once in a game and they get yanked right away and it messes with their confidence. Kudos to Quin for seeing that Utah is offensively-starved, and that he has this extremely talented young kid who can be dynamic for them. He let him shoot as much as he wants early on - get the bad games out of the way, and develop a rhythm. He showed confidence in him and it paid off, it's the exact opposite of someone like Walton or SVG with Stanley Johnson during his rookie season.

Edited by Lifschitz
  • Like 8

His court vision has been very impressive, he throws dimes on a rope across court right on target and his drop offs to bigs when the defensive collapses on his drives actually put them in a position to score instead of being around their ankles. Having Rubio and Ingles around him to establish unselfish passing habits is very good for him

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Lifschitz said:

That athleticism is off the charts, what a pure natural talent.. scary. He's got the entire package really (aside from posting up due to his height). He sort of reminds me of a hybrid between CJ Mccollum and pre-injury Eric Gordon (someone mentioned it here earlier and it's pretty spot on). He reads the defense really well, weaves in and out between traffic, plays the pick and roll, real nice smooth jumpshot, knows how to put a defender on his hip, can finish with both hands in traffic with high arcing layups off the top of the glass, an array of spin moves and crossovers, the whole thing. 

Incredible to see how talented some of the rookies are in the crop this year, Mitchell looks like a perennial allstar. 

It's rare to get a reaction out of me on a dunk nowadays, the last time I did that was when I saw Terrence Ross "poster" Ryan Anderson and Kenneth Faried, that twisting Alley oop dunk Mitchell had today looked electric - for half a second it reminded me of Vince Carter, I actually moved in my seat and went OH. 

Anyways, a part of me inside dies every time this guy puts up a big line, I hate knowing I dropped him 5 games into the season, he was on the waiver wire an entire week while starting to put together good lines and I was capped out on my weekly moves and couldn't grab him.. and here we are.

Hurts.

Quin Snyder really has to be commended here. He understands the intricacies of his own roster. He doesn't just ride vets because of their status / definition / label. One of my biggest gripes with the NBA is the "boys club" aspect of it, you see guys like Melo go under screens time and again - get punished for it (see Aaron Gordon the other night), and they still get their 30+ minutes because he's Melo. You have a rookie / sophmore doing that even once in a game and they get yanked right away and it messes with their confidence. Kudos to Quin for seeing that Utah is offensively-starved, and that he has this extremely talented young kid who can be dynamic for them. He let him shoot as much as he wants early on - get the bad games out of the way, and develop a rhythm. He showed confidence in him and it paid off, it's the exact opposite of someone like Walton or SVG with Stanley Johnson during his rookie season.

I agree. Snyder is doing a really good job. No Hayward, Gobert and Joe Johnson hurt and they are 8th in the West.

On 7/20/2017 at 4:53 AM, Tom Chambers said:

So people are pretty high on him after after summer league.  Like...super high. 

I'm not sure I see a great path to minutes, though.  I expect Hood to start at the 2, and Thabo to see significant swingman minutes based upon his defense.  That leaves minutes shared between Burks, Joe Johnson, and Mitchell. 

I wouldn't feel comfortable guessing numbers after summer league anyway, but especially not if I can't guesstimate minutes. 

What do you guys see? 

How do you feel about him now haha! :)

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, RCRanger03 said:

His court vision has been very impressive, he throws dimes on a rope across court right on target and his drop offs to bigs when the defensive collapses on his drives actually put them in a position to score instead of being around their ankles. Having Rubio and Ingles around him to establish unselfish passing habits is very good for him

imo it's not even just his court vision, BBIQ is off the charts for a rookie. If you watched last night's game and the games before... discrete PnR bounce pass to Favors (ala Lebron James style...), touch pass to his open teammates before the ball even fully touches his hands, knowing cutting angles/times to cut or shoot, highlight reel athleticism... need I say more? :P  I love him, can't even imagine how good he'll be 2nd/3rd year. BEAST

20 minutes ago, Jake the snake said:

Although I doubt it happens he is the only player with a shot at beating Simmons for ROY...

HE.GOT.GAME.

Not even close. Simmons is a generational talent. But man, Donovan is fun to watch.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, doomz said:

Not even close. Simmons is a generational talent. But man, Donovan is fun to watch.

Not this bloody generational talent talk again. He plays in the same generation as the King, Kawhi, Curry, Durant, Giannis (and as people have used the term on him before) Embiid all of who are better and at least 3 (LeBron and Durant and Curry) of them he has no chance of being better than. That is a lot of generational talents within the same generation. 

And you totally misconstrued my statement to boot

Edited by Jake the snake

3 minutes ago, Jake the snake said:

Not this bloody generational talent talk again. He plays in the same generation as the King, Kawhi, Durant, Giannis (and as people have used the term on him before) Embiid all of who are better and at least 2 (LeBron and Durant) of them he has no chance of being better than. That is a lot of generational talents within the same generation. 

And you totally misconstrued my statement to boot

Easy bro :)

As you say, Ben is a generational talent as much as all the other players you mentioned. In fact, i think Ben has a fair chance to be even better than Lebron when it's all said and done. I don't see Donovan reaching that level, at least from what i see now, that's why i stressed the difference between the two, but that's just my opinion. 

And i didn't mean to misconstrue anything here, all i'm saying is Ben right now is on a whole another level. But then again, that's the way i see it, eh?

1 hour ago, doomz said:

Easy bro :)

As you say, Ben is a generational talent as much as all the other players you mentioned. In fact, i think Ben has a fair chance to be even better than Lebron when it's all said and done. I don't see Donovan reaching that level, at least from what i see now, that's why i stressed the difference between the two, but that's just my opinion. 

And i didn't mean to misconstrue anything here, all i'm saying is Ben right now is on a whole another level. But then again, that's the way i see it, eh?

Whoa...there, whoa there...reign it in.

I don't say he is a generational talent. I'm saying the term generational talent is used WAY too much. IMO there are maybe two "generational" players in the league. LeBron and Curry. LeBron being almost in the argument of best ever with MJ and Curry having completely changed the game and being the greatest shooter EVER. Its not fair to any of these guys, least of all Simmons, to throw him into the "generational" talent statement. I mean he can't even shoot. I would be absolutely shocked if he was a better career player than LeBron. He is an awesome player already. But LeBron is one of the two best players to ever play the game...Let's keep the hyperbole in check a little eh?

And like I said I don't think Donavon will beat him for ROY, but he is the 2nd best rookie right now by a clear way so he has the best shot at doing so...which is very different to saying he will beat Simmons...

Edited by Jake the snake