NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Donovan Mitchell 2017-18 Season Outlook

1 minute ago, RCRanger03 said:

0/7 for the half... All my Jazz players had a terrible first half...

Yeah, not the best half...they played good d on him and in general. But, he will keep shooting, keep trying to find it...as he has that mentality. Not afraid to miss and has confidence in his game/skills...and if he gets hot we know what can happen.

5 minutes ago, HK-47 said:

Yeah, not the best half...they played good d on him and in general. But, he will keep shooting, keep trying to find it...as he has that mentality. Not afraid to miss and has confidence in his game/skills...and if he gets hot we know what can happen.

Oh he gunna keep gunnin...

1 of 10

1 minute ago, RCRanger03 said:

Oh he gunna keep gunnin...

1 of 10

Yep, and I like it. Shooters gonna have off nights. But, like Kobe said...he would rather go 0-30 than 0-9 because if you go 0-9 then you psyched yourself out of the game. 

48 minutes ago, Auction>Snake said:

He's a rookie so this was bound to happen, game's like this will be rare. Still, if Philly had a do-over on that number #1 pick they'd take Mitchell in a heartbeat & they'd be meeting LeBron in the east finals.

Its interesting if they did have a do-over would they take Mitchell or Tatum?

But either way, yeah they would be deadly.

1 hour ago, HK-47 said:

Yep, and I like it. Shooters gonna have off nights. But, like Kobe said...he would rather go 0-30 than 0-9 because if you go 0-9 then you psyched yourself out of the game. 

that mindset isn't conducive to winning though

1 hour ago, ovofnd said:

Kobe had 5 rings though?

yeah..based on crazy talent, work ethic, and the best front court in the league for both his runs. Not based on the best IQ. There's a reason those volume chuckers always have worse advanced metrics than their boxscore stats suggest (Kobe's still good, but worse superstar peers) and why wins don't follow as smoothly.

Look at what happened when Shaq left. Shaq continued winning while Kobe missed the playoffs with the same two guys that rookie Wade made the 2nd round with. Gasol was playing out of his mind when they won 2 rings..and their FC faced much bigger challenges (Dwight, Garnett, Duncan, Yao, Amare). When Gasol and Odom started trending down, Kobe didn't exactly carry them to anymore finals appearances.

Then what happened as Kobe's career died down? If that mindset and IQ was so good, it shouldn't be a cancer when he gets to old age. His farewell tour was a spit in the face to the game of basketball. Compare that with guys like Duncan, Kidd, Dirk, even Gasol..none of them were like the terrible STD that Kobe was as they aged.

14 minutes ago, LuN said:

yeah..based on crazy talent, work ethic, and the best front court in the league for both his runs. Not based on the best IQ. There's a reason those volume chuckers always have worse advanced metrics than their boxscore stats suggest (Kobe's still good, but worse superstar peers) and why wins don't follow as smoothly.

Look at what happened when Shaq left. Shaq continued winning while Kobe missed the playoffs with the same two guys that rookie Wade made the 2nd round with. Gasol was playing out of his mind when they won 2 rings..and their FC faced much bigger challenges (Dwight, Garnett, Duncan, Yao, Amare). When Gasol and Odom started trending down, Kobe didn't exactly carry them to anymore finals appearances.

Then what happened as Kobe's career died down? If that mindset and IQ was so good, it shouldn't be a cancer when he gets to old age. His farewell tour was a spit in the face to the game of basketball. Compare that with guys like Duncan, Kidd, Dirk, even Gasol..none of them were like the terrible STD that Kobe was as they aged.

Wow, tell us how you really feel about Kobe lol, 'terrible STD that Kobe was'.

2012-13 season with Dwight and Nash - Kobe willed them all to the playoffs.

Despite what you may think, Kobe is a winner. I'd take his opinion on keeping your shooting confidence up - even in a 0/10 night - over yours, sorry.

39 minutes ago, LuN said:

Kobe destroyed your team in the playoffs didn't he 

1 hour ago, LuN said:

He actually had one of the more low-key farewells considering his status and what he had done in the NBA.

Definitely NOT "a spit in the face" nor a "terrible STD". 

Back to Donovan. Rough night but it's expected. We have been spoiled lately by his stats. 

Edited by NBA_OG

1 hour ago, LuN said:

Haha damn I wouldn’t go that far but I’m definitely with you in that Kobe seemed like one of those guys who just had other worldly talent and work ethic so he automatically thought he was great at everything, especially doling out unsolicited advice to anyone and everyone as narcissists tend to do. Anyone who has heard the Westbrook “this is your team, f--- KD” story can attest to that. Just sounds like BS anyway, I do not believe for one second that a guy like Kobe would lose confidence if he didn’t keep shooting until he was 0/30...that’s just his excuse so he doesn’t have to stop hogging the ball. Seems like an arbitrary thing to focus on but there’s no logic in that, missing 30 shots would make you way less confident and have a much worse effect by that line of thinking!

As for Donovan Mitchell I’m not sure what I think of him both for fantasy and real life. I watch a lot of Jazz games since I’m on the East Coast and by the time I’m hanging out watching league pass the Jazz/Nuggets home games are typically right underway. There’s no question he’s extremely talented and absurdly athletic with amazing body control for a kid his age. When I watch him though I get the feeling that he may struggle later in the year when teams start scouting him better and learning his weaknesses. Of course that’s kind of standard for any great young rookie but I’m curious if his offensive game is good enough for him to overcome that. Don’t take that the wrong way I think it’s obvious he is at minimum a solid starter on an ok team or 6th man type on a championship caliber team so far but I don’t know about this whole thing with him playing PG. What do you guys think? Ofc there are guys like Lillard and IT and Curry that are scoring PG but they all possess far above average playmaking skills since high school and with Mitchell I don’t really see that, and typically that seems to be something that’s basically innate or at least learned early on. Even though his shooting has really improved I’m skeptical of that as well too once teams learn to guard him better, because he is athletic but he definitely seems to have average size at best. Two thing I definitely don’t question though are his heart/winning mentality and defense. Curious to hear all of your takes on that. Maybe I’m wrong but I’ve typically had a really good track record with predicting careers, although I definitely been dead wrong 20% is the time too...

Ps - as a 76ers fan I am glad Mitchell wasn’t on the table, just don’t like how he would’ve fit in with the other guys he seems like someone who will need to be the man to be successful or at least be the man with the exception of playing with a great C or PF. 

• Like 1

We're 26 games into his NBA career.

Yes, teams will scout him better, but who's to say he won't be able to adapt? 

The concerns about his size and playmaking aren't warranted at this point. Mitchell is still so green and he's shown a willingness to absorb everything and learn. Size can be covered through playcalling/offensive and defensive schemes. See: IT. Plus, he's 6'3" and has shown good tenacity to fight through screens + athleticism to beat his defenders off the dribble.

Didn't we have concerns over his shooting and shot selection in the first 10 games? Where's that concern now?

Edited by ovofnd
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, THE_MAGIC_MAN said:

Ariza's length bothered him against Houston but salvaged the line in garbage time against Eric Gordon, tonight going against a Bucks team that has crazy length from positions 1-4 definitely gave him another challenge. I don't know what he has to do to over come these matchups most coaches will throw at him.

He's a rookie. Ariza and the Bucks' length bothers most 5-year vets. 

I don't doubt that he'll have more bad shooting nights as he adapts to these matchups (see: Roberson on Mitchell, where Roberson's length also got the best of him until OKC put Russ on him). I think it's on Coach Snyder and the coaching staff to make sure they can switch Mitchell quickly on those offensive sets to cover for his lack of size.