NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Donovan Mitchell 2017-18 Season Outlook

3 minutes ago, mackdonald said:

Question is will they sit good again for Mitchell.....

They fed the hot hand.

Most nights rather than not he will not get this kind of opportunity.

He will however be their 6th man/first wing off the bench on most nights. Everyone on the team loves him.

It's the Lakers.. he's going to be inconsistent all year as long as the current rotation stays in tact, especially with Hood currently starting. If he has any cold game, Quin is not going to just let him snap out of it (and he's had a lot of those thus far and can't seem to shake it off and just keeps chucking). 

He needs a lot more of these. 

Edited by Lifschitz

8 hours ago, Soafanforlife said:

They fed the hot hand.

Most nights rather than not he will not get this kind of opportunity.

He will however be their 6th man/first wing off the bench on most nights. Everyone on the team loves him.

As the first guard off the bench he will have every opportunity to do this every night.  His game is NBA ready on both sides of the floor, he is not some project coming in like Exum.

10 minutes ago, El_Chingon said:

As the first guard off the bench he will have every opportunity to do this every night.  His game is NBA ready on both sides of the floor, he is not some project coming in like Exum.

He also did this to the Lakers in the last game of the preseason, which was a big reason his stock shot up..

I think he's more of a guy to keep your eye on and if he does it at least two more games in a row then you immediately pick him up. For rookies there is a longer learning curve to learn good/bad shots, and it takes them time to slow the game down and not rush it. There's certain guys who are just special off the bat like Fox or Tatum, but they were picked top 5 for a reason. 

Just now, Lifschitz said:

He also did this to the Lakers in the last game of the preseason, which was a big reason his stock shot up..

I think he's more of a guy to keep your eye on and if he does it at least two more games in a row then you immediately pick him up. For rookies there is a longer learning curve to learn good/bad shots, and it takes them time to slow the game down and not rush it. There's certain guys who are just special off the bat like Fox or Tatum, but they were picked top 5 for a reason. 

I didn't say he would PRODUCE like he did against the Lakers every night.  I said he will have OPPORTUNITY (playing time) every night.  Mitchell has flaws in his game and a lot to learn, as you have duly noted.

2 hours ago, dfstout said:

Joe Johnson injury allows this kid to explode? Thoughts? Pick up regardless? 

I have him on my 14 GM league, he's not helping in % but I really like his upside and his aggression.  I believe he's got the highest usage among rookies more than 20 mins (read in roto).  I had a chance to use my waiver to pick up J. Murray and dropping Donovan but I want to see where this kid will grow into., we already know what Murray is.  Mitchell reminds me of Kobe with his extreme confidence in FGAs.  Shooting stroke looks fine, just a matter of time till the game slows down enough. For a rookie to average 11 fga in 22 minutes is green light for success.  Given same minutes shooting at 43%, he can creep to 12ppg level with 1.1 st and .6 blk.  He will only have more minutes with JJ out.

• Thanks 1

On 10/28/2017 at 10:15 PM, Lifschitz said:

It's the Lakers.. he's going to be inconsistent all year as long as the current rotation stays in tact, especially with Hood currently starting. If he has any cold game, Quin is not going to just let him snap out of it (and he's had a lot of those thus far and can't seem to shake it off and just keeps chucking). 

He needs a lot more of these. 

Quin has actually been letting him play through some of his cold spells which you are correct he has a lot of them but I think he just needs to pick and choose his spots a little better. he's a dynamic player so that's why I think the coach will let him play because he plays defense unlike some other guys *cough* alec burks *cough*

2 minutes ago, affliction said:

he has the green light and they won 

Just.  Odd that they were dominating inside, had a huge size advantage and Gobert and Favors combined took just over half the shots that Mitchell did.  

Good for fantasy purposes that Utah went so small but Mitchell had tunnel vision most of the time.

3 hours ago, DM45 said:

Quin has actually been letting him play through some of his cold spells which you are correct he has a lot of them but I think he just needs to pick and choose his spots a little better. he's a dynamic player so that's why I think the coach will let him play because he plays defense unlike some other guys *cough* alec burks *cough*

You sure about that?

Dallas: 3 / 8 - 17 minutes

Phoenix : 1/7 - 12 minutes

Minnesota: 1/7 - 20 minutes

OKC 1/7 - 22 minutes

The funny thing is the Dallas / Phoenix games came after the Minnesota / OKC games, not only coupled with Hood's return, but he also saw fewer minutes as he kept trying to chuck.

He's abysmal on FG% - especially when you factor in just how much he's shooting in such a short period of time. It's nice that he has the green light, but it's a double edged sword with a rookie.

His explosion today came with Hood receiving only 20 minutes and going 0/11.. that won't happen every game. I still wouldn't cut anyone trust worthy for him, he's just as likely to get 5-7 points next game as he is 20. Volatile players can be killers. 

Edited by Lifschitz
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lifschitz said:

You sure about that?

Dallas: 3 / 8 - 17 minutes

Phoenix : 1/7 - 12 minutes

Minnesota: 1/7 - 20 minutes

OKC 1/7 - 22 minutes

The funny thing is the Dallas / Phoenix games came after the Minnesota / OKC games, not only coupled with Hood's return, but he also saw fewer minutes as he kept trying to chuck.

He's abysmal on FG% - especially when you factor in just how much he's shooting in such a short period of time. It's nice that he has the green light, but it's a double edged sword with a rookie.

His explosion today came with Hood receiving only 20 minutes and going 0/11.. that won't happen every game. I still wouldn't cut anyone trust worthy for him, he's just as likely to get 5-7 points next game as he is 20. Volatile players can be killers. 

All good points, but he's the kind of player that will get better and better as the year goes on. I can guarantee his second half stats will be much better than his first half stats. The jazz love him and need him to evolve into a big time player for them. 

So personally, I'd rather hang on to him and ride out the early season instability for the second half payoff versus picking up some random middling player with zero upside.

1 minute ago, wideopen21 said:

All good points, but he's the kind of player that will get better and better as the year goes on. I can guarantee his second half stats will be much better than his first half stats. The jazz love him and need him to evolve into a big time player for them. 

So personally, I'd rather hang on to him and ride out the early season instability for the second half payoff versus picking up some random middling player with zero upside.

It depends on your league size, as well as your team build. I can tell you in my 12 man he still hasn't been picked up even with this explosion and the last one with the Lakers. People need to see it a few times in a row before they're convinced.

For me the drops went Lamb (whom I regret dropping) ---> Mitchell ---> Rozier ----> Dinwiddie

I can tell you I'm quite happy with what I ended up with. I'm leading the league in FG%, the last thing I want right now is a guy to come in and shoot 4/20+ in a week..

Edited by Lifschitz

9 minutes ago, wideopen21 said:

Im with you here. He is going to be special.

Is it time to pick him up after this game? Who's the better add between these two- Mitchell vs Stanley Johnson?

I wonder if this is when he gets comfortable with pro ball since rookies usually start off slow..wouldn't want to miss out on this gem but wondering if he's worth my last move of the week.