Ricky Rubio 2017-2018 Season Outlook

• Replies 711
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

He's putting up first round value on my punt-winning team

To everyone who posted that they sold....the only way that information is insightful to anyone is if you say what the trade was and your league settings (8 or 9 cat, roto/H2H, # of teams). Without tha

I was messing around with Rubio's pass tracking stats, and I found it interesting to look at the frequency of who he passes it to most, and what that player is doing after they receive the pass. This

Saw the game last night and it's pathetic, really: Rubio dribbles the ball up court, passes it and goes to the corner..done, that's it...Everything is run through Mitchell and Ingles..The problem with this is he seems content with this role, less responsibility etc. Some players would be screw this s--- and DO/SAY SOMETHING but he doesn't seem that guy, which sucks for us owner...Gotta have some kind of pride, Rubio!!!

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Starvela said:

Saw the game last night and it's pathetic, really: Rubio dribbles the ball up court, passes it and goes to the corner..done, that's it...Everything is run through Mitchell and Ingles..The problem with this is he seems content with this role, less responsibility etc. Some players would be screw this s--- and DO/SAY SOMETHING but he doesn't seem that guy, which sucks for us owner...Gotta have some kind of pride, Rubio!!!

Are you equating pride with being selfish on the court?

The dude is a pass first point guard. His team was just crushing everyone they played. Is/was he happy with his performance....I can guarantee you he isn't. No competitor would be. Is he going to act out because of it....doubt it. It doesn't seem to be the nature of a pass first point guard. 

7 minutes ago, Starvela said:

What can he say/do? He can't create. Honestly I don't watch Utah but if they play a slow half court game then it makes no sense to have Rubio. Rubio needs to run and gun. Plus Donovan Mitchell needs the ball in his hands

Edited by IkeDola510
6 minutes ago, Starvela said:

This is the same thing that happened to him in Minnesota before Lavine went down.  But the situaiton is worse for him because this team has more playmakers/chuckers on it than Minnesota (Mitchell, Ingles, Burks, Hood, Iso Joe). 

And obviously this is Mitchell's show in the backcourt from here on out and the Jazz are fully invested in him where the Wolves weren't with Lavine/Dunn, so Rubio still had opportunity to run it there where he doesn't with the Jazz anymore unless Mitchell gets hurt.

Rubio is a team first player who wants to win so he is not going to demand anything.  Like I said last night, I love Rubio, but unfortunately I think this is the beginning of the end of him as a starting point guard.  I believe he should be a starter somewhere and just let him run the show, but I think he has ran out of teams that feel the same as I do. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, duke of queens said:

I watched last night's game and Donovan Mitchell, good or not, is a true chucker. No one is getting shots on that team except for him. He brings the ball up court and looks to no one. but that's the NBA we live in these days. Sorry Rubio your time has come. 

100% agree. The ball movement and flow of the offense is a snail's pace when Mitchell is running the show. He gets stats because he dictates what happens. But the team is far easier to defend this way and I think it will show in stretches where Mitchell misses tough shots. At the end of the day this offense isn't going to lead to good numbers for Ricky. He needs to be traded in the exact same way they need to trade Favors. The Jazz can't afford the luxury of their depth and let them leave for nothing. There is zero chance Ricky stays in Utah and zero chance Favors stays in Utah unless they give MASSIVE hometown discounts. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

What are we saying here? That Rubio's game is headed towards extinction?

I think it is more about offensive philosophy and its scarcity than the extinction of Ricky's game.

The Jazz literally run a system, when it is flowing well, where everyone moves to create mismatches that result in someone getting the best shot available because no one could create a good shot on their own (until Mitchell went nuts and starting pulling up off the dribble using screens). The Warriors are similar only with 5,000% more skill. The Spurs are similar. Maybe Boston is in this category. Aside from that, I can't really think of a team that doesn't primarily depend on one or two players to create while spacing the floor with a couple dudes sitting in the corners. Houston, Cleveland are great examples that space the floor and have a couple guys moving to create. It is superstar talent vs. team approach. That is kind of why GS is so unstoppable. They are just unselfish superstars playing team basketball creating the best, most open shot for one another and not worrying about who gets the shot. 

Ricky still has a place in today's NBA. It just isn't with the Jazz. Just think how hard it would be for Ricky if they ran a pnr with Gobert, defense went under the screen, and the guy "guarding" Favors in the corner cheated to deter Ricky from driving or penetrating. There is literally zero space to operate in the paint and if they kick it to Favors for a 3 that is a shot the defense would prefer the offense to take. He is misplaced. And the idea the Jazz wanted him is total bullsh*t. They traded for him because Hayward said he wanted to play with him. Gordon Hayward, the dude that isn't even on the Jazz, is the reason why Ricky is on the Jazz. 

I think Rubio is gonna start comin along. If you look back at the beginning games of the season he was actually decent and had a nice game with gobert. Since gobert is back, I believe the assists should trend up.

1 hour ago, ryanii said:

Great for you if Rondo somehow was on the waiver wire, Nelson/Jack are the best available in my league lol

Yeah the guy who owned him dropped him and I had to snatch him up as I saw Rondo putting up good assists