NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Ricky Rubio 2017-2018 Season Outlook

ballr3

His passes are wild as hell lol.  He can’t shoot, his passing ability is way over rated, and his defense is more gambling for stl.  Dude doesn’t really look like a legit starting PG in the league right now.  Never ever drafted him in any leagues in the past, never been a fan of his game.  But all the fantasy sites were so high on him in Utah this year so I bite.  Damn I regret.

3 hours ago, flippy said:

im satisfied with his stats last night or my expectations of him is so low right now?

I think this is where I am at as well.  Rather than expect big things from a 4th round pick, I'm looking for silver linings each and every night.  So last night it was "well, 7 assists and 2 steals is nice."  Problem is it came with 2 points on terrible shooting.  This is something that you shouldn't have to do with one of your top picks.  All you can hope for is a trade to a team that is more pick-and-roll centered at this point.  Utah doesn't run a ton of it and that is where Ricky excels at racking up the dimes.

I don't mind owning him in 12-14 team leagues with daily rosters in a streamer+ role. 

In 10's or weekly rosters his highs just don't make up for the lows.  Maybe if you were punting FGP and TO and just needed a bkp PG. 

Playing for UTA has killed his value. 

3 hours ago, RipCity0 said:

I have been disappointed as well, but some things that have been written here are really embarrassing for the people that wrote them. Yes Rubio is overrated passer. It must be the first case in NBA history of a fluke holding for 6 years.

It’s the system he was in before that made his asst.  There’s a difference between a gifted passer and a guy who gets asst in boxscore.  

10 minutes ago, JballFan said:

It’s the system he was in before that made his asst.  There’s a difference between a gifted passer and a guy who gets asst in boxscore.  

Image result for WHAT GIF

I think you have that backwards.  It is the system he is in now that has made his assists low. 

If there is one thing this dude is gifted at, it is passing.

I held on for as long as I could but this week, I couldn't justify holding onto him any longer in my league (settings in sig below).  Had to drop with the amount of good FA's we still had in our pool because of league settings.

I do want to say that I am absolutely disappointed.  He was my fifth round pick and was excited because the first week of the season the scoring and assists were there so clearly HE CAN still play.  Somewhere along the way the coaching staff decided to change it up.  I understand the emergence of Donovan Mitchell is a big part of his sharp decline in numbers, but man, every time I catch the Jazz on TV, I see a lot of Rubio bringing the ball then handing it off then being told to stand in the corner.  Mind boggling to me that the Jazz have it backwards: instead of Ingles or Mitchell waiting for the ball / wait for a pass, it's the pass-first PG that's told to do so instead. 

Or maybe he's playing hurt (he did miss a game with a sore achilles)?  I don't know anymore.

I truly hope for everyone else here that he does turn it around, either by trade or leading the 2nd unit.  I really don't see him turning it around like he did in Minnesota last season due to the way the Jazz run their offense. 

Good luck to the rest of you sticking it out with Rubio.  Maybe I can pick him up again if he does turn it around cuz even now, he's cleared the waiver period and still available as FA.

Edited by gill2k

11 minutes ago, Tekno Team 2000 said:

Image result for WHAT GIF

I think you have that backwards.  It is the system he is in now that has made his assists low. 

If there is one thing this dude is gifted at, it is passing.

Then you havnt been watching the Utah games.  He throws wild wild ugly passes.

34 minutes ago, JballFan said:

Whatever helps your case man. You have 6 years on one side and 2 months on the other side and you lean towards the 2 months being a better sample.

He played for 3 different coaches, but for you it was the system. OK!

Edited by RipCity0
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, JballFan said:

I think more would agree with me then you.  Let’s see how his career plays out in the near future.  

Whoever agrees with you that Rubio is not a good passer should better quit watching basketball coz he is wasting his time. It's like saying Korver cannot shoot the ball.

Just now, RipCity0 said:

Whoever agrees with you that Rubio is not a good passer should better quit watching basketball coz he is wasting his time. It's like saying Korver cannot shoot the ball.

Well Minnesota didn’t feel like he was a better PG than Jeff Teague and let him go.  Now it would appear Utah doesn’t really need his “gifted passing” either.  So there’s a good chance he gets traded.  Let’s see which team picks him up and see if that works out for him.  If the next team doesn’t work out for him then I don’t see him being a starting PG in the league anymore.  That would make 20+ Proff NBA franchises who don’t see him as the “gifted” passer you see him to be.  So like I said, the future will tell if other professional basketball minds see his skills the way u see them.  But watching his games, I don’t see it.

8 minutes ago, JballFan said:

Then you havnt been watching the Utah games.  He throws wild wild ugly passes.

I have. I have watched him since his rookie year. Have you watched him beyond this year?

I have heard people question his shooting, his defense, his finishing around the rim, but I never heard anyone question his passing before today. Again, one thing that I believe just about everyone would agree on (I guess besides you) is he is a gifted passer with great vision.

1 minute ago, Tekno Team 2000 said:

I have. I have watched him since his rookie year. Have you watched him beyond this year?

I have heard people question his shooting, his defense, his finishing around the rim, but I never heard anyone question his passing before today. Again, one thing that I believe just about everyone would agree on (I guess besides you) is he is a gifted passer with great vision.

That’s when he played in Minnesota.  And they dumped him.  Now he is a so called “ gifted passer with great vision” who avg 4 asst 3 TO.  That’s what u call trash.

Edited by JballFan

1 minute ago, JballFan said:

Well Minnesota didn’t feel like he was a better PG than Jeff Teague and let him go.  Now it would appear Utah doesn’t really need his “gifted passing” either.  So there’s a good chance he gets traded.  Let’s see which team picks him up and see if that works out for him.  If the next team doesn’t work out for him then I don’t see him being a starting PG in the league anymore.  That would make 20+ Proff NBA franchises who don’t see him as the “gifted” passer you see him to be.  So like I said, the future will tell if other professional basketball minds see his skills the way u see them.  But watching his games, I don’t see it.

Your analysis is so much lacking that I shouldn't even comment on this but anyway. I never said he is an amazing starting pg or whatever and it might be true that even half teams or more can have a better starting point guard, but it's not only because of passing. Rubio is a terrible shooter and that's his biggest weakness that lowers his ceiling a lot. When it comes to passing I don't think there are more than 10 better players in the league. Utah thinks Mitchell can be their starting pg, so by your way of thinking he is a more gifted passer, right? Because you seem to confuse passing ability with the starting role or whatever.

1 minute ago, RipCity0 said:

Your analysis is so much lacking that I shouldn't even comment on this but anyway. I never said he is an amazing starting pg or whatever and it might be true that even half teams or more can have a better starting point guard, but it's not only because of passing. Rubio is a terrible shooter and that's his biggest weakness that lowers his ceiling a lot. When it comes to passing I don't think there are more than 10 better players in the league. Utah thinks Mitchell can be their starting pg, so by your way of thinking he is a more gifted passer, right? Because you seem to confuse passing ability with the starting role or whatever.

This is true.  You are on the money.  But you know a gifted passer need to creat passes which leads to easy shots for teammate which leads to asst.  since he can’t shoot no one guards him that closely so he can’t penetrate easily to lead to easy passes.  There for he becomes worse when he is on a team without great shooters.  So his so called great passing skills becomes not so great.  Product of system

1 hour ago, JballFan said:

Late to this argument (thankfully), but to say the Wolves moved him because they didn't like him really fails to put into context all of the moving pieces the Wolves were dealing with. They needed to trade for Butler, sign Teague, Gibson, and Crawford and they needed to re-up Wiggins to a max. If you know you can sign someone that better fits the vision of your transitioning roster (Teague) and you could get an asset (future first) in addition to freeing up the cap space to transform your roster on the fly wouldn't you do it? It is like you are trying to compare apples to apples (Teague vs. Ricky) with the PG position, but it is really about comparing apples to oranges in the sense of Butler or Rubio? Or Butler/Teague for LaVine/Rubio. You are oversimplifying just how crazily the Wolves transformed their roster in the offseason.

Can you clarify if you think Rubio has good vision but is a bad passer or is he a bad passer with poor vision?

Rubio is incredibly gifted at moving with pace and creating passing lanes. He is amazing at it...how else can you explain a NBA player having the career he has had without an ability to shoot the ball? The Jazz play a completely different style of basketball that does not leverage Rubio's skill. He is miscast. I think he has been since they dealt for him. Remember it was Hayward that wanted to play with him. I don't know where his place is in the NBA in the future with the way the game is evolving. But I know he has skill in the same way that I know Monroe has skill to put the basketball in the hoop. I just have no idea how the NBA will value those skills in the future given the fact that 30% of teams are rebuilding and 30% of teams are superfied and that isn't going to change any time soon. The window for point guards to latch on to teams is really small. It is almost like the NBA's version of the running back position in the NFL. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, The Unknown said:

Funny how the wolves no longer play transition offense anymore 

I don't want to make this about the Wolves, but the offense they run is a joke. The TNT dudes were relentless about it during the XMas game. They need to play as fast as ******** possible and leverage Wiggins' and Jimmy's skillset as much as possible. Instead, they just seem to pace themselves so they can stay on the court for 40 minutes a night. 

• Like 1