NBC Sports Edge Forums

Ricky Rubio 2017-2018 Season Outlook

He thrives in the half court. Not sure why Mitchell and Ingles have the green light for the offense over Rubio..

He's at his best when he disrupts the offense by penetrating and dishing out to shooters or roll men. Snyder's gotta do something about this. They're in the bottom half of the West and I feel like they could potentially win more games with Rubio at his full potential

• Replies 711
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

He's putting up first round value on my punt-winning team

To everyone who posted that they sold....the only way that information is insightful to anyone is if you say what the trade was and your league settings (8 or 9 cat, roto/H2H, # of teams). Without tha

I was messing around with Rubio's pass tracking stats, and I found it interesting to look at the frequency of who he passes it to most, and what that player is doing after they receive the pass. This

Rubio will be ok. Patience is key. Just like last year when before Lavine got hurt and he was getting ignored/benched in the 4th, he will turn it around. The Jazz didn't trade for him not to be the driving engine of the offense. It will get figured out.

Talk of dropping him is just stupid. You really gonna find someone else with his ability for elite assists/steals on the WW with good rebounding for his position and good FT%? (I never worry about his FG%, I draft others to balance that)

Good luck

12 hours ago, flippy said:

dafuq the wrong is with guy? low asts and stls, high TOs and the usual low FG. 

Everyone and everything on the Jazz is broken at the moment. Tuesday's game vs. the Sixers they were shooting a franchise low for FG% in a game until the end of the 4Q. Think about that for a minute. They were shooting around 28% as a team before making a couple late buckets and edging just above 30%. There was no ball movement, rotations were a mess, one pass and then someone chucking up a 3 or long 2, some of the time without a screen. Iso basketball at its worst. It was bad. I thought a few days to practice would help, but they were a wreck again last night.

When you are slumping it feels like the end of the world. When you are on a heater you feel invincible. It will sort itself out, but it is most definitely broken ATM. The worst part is Snyder will tweak in game rotations trying to find anything that clicks so there will be very little consistency until they get something settled. Then roles and rotations will be sorted out. At the end of the day this team doesn't have much offensive talent though. 

35 minutes ago, gill2k said:

Almost a triple double tonight with 4 steals.  Thanks Ricky! :D

The result is decent, but it was a weird one. He produced like his old self in the first quarter, sleep walked for about twenty-five minutes, and then played well in the fourth before getting pulled for the last couple of minutes.

I think the Jazz should consider starting Jerebko at the 4 with Joe subbing in for him once he's healthy just like they did with Lyles last year. He's a decent defender and spaces the floor better than Favors. They should just stagger the minutes between Gobert and Favors and let Favors finish the game with Gobert.

On 11/12/2017 at 4:16 AM, RipCity0 said:

It's really important that Favors stops playing 4 next to Gobert. I think this is what helps Rubio. With Favors in there there is not much space for his drives and kick outs.

Well.. for the next several weeks, Gobert is out so I wonder if there will be less spacing issues

Gobert is out for a month or so and Favors is an obvious must own/must start option in that time frame with weekly 4,3,3,4,3,4 over the next 6 weeks. I think Rubio will excel in that time as well for a few reasons.

1. Favors is just more talented than Gobert on offense. I get it that we play fantasy. I get it that Gobert has a crazy FG%. I get it that we love Gobert because he cat crushes blocks/boards/FG%. I get it that people draft Gobert way before Favors. But the reality is that Gobert has a very limited skillset on offense. He can't space to the 3. Spot up jumpers aren't his game. It is put backs and rolls. Favors has more ways to score for Ricky to utilize and apply pressure on opposing defenses.

2. Now the 4 should be filled with someone that is a better shooter than Favors and can be honored as a floor spacer by defenses.

3. The team will hopefully play with a bit more pace since they don't have Gobert intimidating the lane and should be worse on defense.

4. The Jazz will need to rebound as a team with the loss of Gobert. I can see him getting close to 5 boards while Gobert is on the shelf.

• Like 7
21 minutes ago, thezing1 said:

Gobert is out for a month or so and Favors is an obvious must own/must start option in that time frame with weekly 4,3,3,4,3,4 over the next 6 weeks. I think Rubio will excel in that time as well for a few reasons.

1. Favors is just more talented than Gobert on offense. I get it that we play fantasy. I get it that Gobert has a crazy FG%. I get it that we love Gobert because he cat crushes blocks/boards/FG%. I get it that people draft Gobert way before Favors. But the reality is that Gobert has a very limited skillset on offense. He can't space to the 3. Spot up jumpers aren't his game. It is put backs and rolls. Favors has more ways to score for Ricky to utilize and apply pressure on opposing defenses.

2. Now the 4 should be filled with someone that is a better shooter than Favors and can be honored as a floor spacer by defenses.

3. The team will hopefully play with a bit more pace since they don't have Gobert intimidating the lane and should be worse on defense.

4. The Jazz will need to rebound as a team with the loss of Gobert. I can see him getting close to 5 boards while Gobert is on the shelf.

I love Gobert (as well as Rubio) - but I agree with this 100%.  

Strong believer he will come through when it counts, playoffs...but Jazz style just seems like a bad fit for him..I drafted him for assist, steals and DD's..I'm only getting steals, the assist and DD are history...Will just ride him the whole season and hopefully come playoff time, he will have it all figured out..