NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Pick up Marwin? Drop Thames/Villar/Moncada? WHIR!

kornball

After losing Correa, I'm a bit thin at SS (currently starting Villar). Marwin can play every position in my league except catcher, and he's the primary fill in for Houston while Correa is sidelined. Is it worth picking him up? Team is in sig (10 team 5x5 re-draft roto).

Thames has seemingly become a platoon guy, and his numbers for the last month are awful (only 74 AB). Villar has been a major disappointment this season given where I drafted him. Moncada is obviously one of the biggest prospects in the game, but is he worth rostering in a 10 team re-draft right now?

Any input is much appreciated. Leave a link and WHIR!

Yikes tough on who to possibly drop, don't want to be the guy saying drop this player and cost you. I can say Marwin has been pretty dam solid all year even before Correa going down, I think he should continue being fairly productive in that lineup. Last time I looked seemed like he was on pace for his best season to date too. 

I know Villar hasn't put up like last year, but he's come around slightly of late I thought, and still chipping in some steals which isn't bad. I'd het a few more opinions before I made a move personally. Maybe before I dropped anyone, I'd furiously try trading Thames or Moncada and see what I might get, maybe aim for a 2 for 1 and free up a spot but still get something back instead of just dropping one of them. If Moncada struggles this might be the best time to shop him while his hype is still fresh in people's minds.

8 minutes ago, tonywow said:

I know Villar hasn't put up like last year, but he's come around slightly of late I thought, and still chipping in some steals which isn't bad. I'd het a few more opinions before I made a move personally. Maybe before I dropped anyone, I'd furiously try trading Thames or Moncada and see what I might get, maybe aim for a 2 for 1 and free up a spot but still get something back instead of just dropping one of them. If Moncada struggles this might be the best time to shop him while his hype is still fresh in people's minds.

Thanks for the input! Unfortunately, trades hardly ever happen in this league (managers overvalue players big time). Additionally, even if I did pull off a 2 for 1, Marwin comes off waivers tomorrow, and I'm worried someone else will use their claim to snag him (I have #4)...

If you had to drop anyone, think I'd still try and keep Thames/Villar. Villar offers the steals which is hard to come by this year and he's hit better of late, maybe he'll turn a corner at some point. Thames has been on a HR drought but he's hit ok just not great lately, if you drop him looks like you'd have to slide Bryant to 1B then leaving a hole in 3B. If you put Marwin there then you can't really use him at SS if you planned on it. I think Moncada makes sense to drop being redraft.  Marwin would let you play your best matchups at SS/1B and other spots, the overall production you could get moving him around could be pretty valuable. 

20 minutes ago, Members_Only_76 said:

What are the other top available wire guys?

Over the last month based on Yahoo rankings: Gennett, Reddick, Domingo Santana, Hosmer, Gurriel, and Castellanos (then Marwin)

For the entire season so far: Domingo Santana, Logan Morrison, Hosmer, Souza Jr, and Moustakas (then Marwin)

Definitely get Marwin.  You are lucky that he is on the wire.  I picked him up 6 weeks ago as a flexible backup for Bregman, Correa, or anyone else that might take the day off.  He usually played better than the starter for that roster slot.  He is filling in nicely at SS, and with Correa out, he won't have many days off.  As far as your drop, I would drop Thames (.243/3/5) or Villar (.253/2/4 and 4 SB) over their last 30.  Sometimes you have to make a tough drop, but remember you are picking up a player who hit .318/5/18 over the same last 30 days and he has been consistent all year.  Moncada could be the worst of all but keep him for the potential.

Jeez, you've got a really solid team whether you grab Marwin or not. That's part of what makes the decision so tough. I think the best route is trying to find a 2-1 trade including VIllar/Thames/Moncada and free up a spot for him. However, with him coming off waivers tomorrow, you probably won't have time to make a deal work. I think Moncada is the guy to drop here in redrafts, just because his huge strikeout rate makes him much more likely to slump hard against major league pitching. Also he's hitting in the nightmare of the CWS lineup which hurts too. Tough decision, but Moncada is the guy to go if you don't work out a trade by tonight.

I would drop Moncada to get MG. Moncad has proven nothing. Potential won't win anything. It may be a year or two before we see anything from Moncada. Villar although having a down season is as said above stealing bases. Go with proven over potential.

Archived