NBC Sports Edge Forums

Rafael Devers 2017 Outlook

3 hours ago, Flyman75 said:

I think that's a bit ambitious. That makes him a top 36 player in a 12-team draft, and I'm not convinced he's going to be have that kind of value next year. And I own Devers in a keeper, so I would love for him to return top 36 value. 

Yeah could he be a top 36 producer next year... Yeah maybe.  But there's no value there.  If you're drafting a guy in the top 3 rounds to be a top 3 round producer me personally I'm going to want someone who is more of a sure thing.  Sophomore season's tend to be the riskiest of all seasons.

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's been like a week, so I'm not even close to thinking about next week. Let's see where he's at in a month. Pitchers adjust, we'll see how the 20 year old adjusts back. But mannnnnnnnnnn can he swing. That opposite field pop makes my heart flutter. At the rate he's going, he'll have the key to the city with another hot week. 

He had a really nice play either last night or game before. He hit a chopper to 3B, then hauled booty down the line and had a head first slide into 1B, was called safe and got the base hit. I was really impressed from everything else I've seen, as a Sox fans he's surpassed my expectations so far. He looks cool and calm no matter what he's doing, be interesting to see how he fairs ROS. 

On 7/25/2017 at 11:03 PM, RotoGenius said:

They're going to want to see what they have in Devers. Depth is never a bad thing, and Nunez fits there well.

But they have every incentive to see what Devers looks like in the majors as they assess what their postseason roster should look like. In the postseason, even if they decide his defense isn't ready, a guy like Devers can be an extra bat because less pitchers are needed on the 25. They want to see if he could be that X-factor off the bench, but of course they'd love if he shows he can be better than a solid option like Nunez and take the full-time job.

They're just not counting on it. But they need to see what they have, so Devers will play as long as he looks decent.

Should be dropped in all formats. Definitely going down when Pedroia gets healthy next week.

59 minutes ago, slaphitter said:

The question is, why wasn't he up a month ago?

Another question is... Why is he still available in any leagues?  Nobody should be able to even ask if they should add him.

5 hours ago, Lightning Bat said:

Do you guys think he's here to stay in the Sox lineup now? Time to smash the add button? 

You play in a four team league?  Is you league the last one on planet earth to still have him in the free agent pool?

And yes I said on this thread last week the Sox had said that when they called him up he was here to stay.  He wasn't going to shuttle back down. 

And for people still worrying about Nunez.  Nunez was traded to be the utility guy and more insurance for a struggling Xander Bogaerts then Devers though he will have to play full time at 2B for a while.  Even when Pedroia is back Dombrowski said flat out Pedy would have a worrisome knee for the rest of his career and Farell said once Dustin is back he will be getting more regular time off the rest of the way.

Lefties?  Devers handles them just fine.  Jonny Gomes got into the advantage of throwing right but batting left and how it helps these players a lot vs lefties.  Some sort of palm up / palm down, they can wait longer, guide stuff through the swing better tech stuff I honestly didn't pay that much attention to at the time because I was multi-tasking with making a sandwich then and I suck at multi-tasking apparently, heh.  But I do know a few other Red Sox that threw rightie and batted lefty.  Like Wade Boggs, Yaz and Ted Williams.  I'll "settle" for Devers to turn out like them, hah.

As for sophomore slump?  It is always possible.  But David Ortiz was already saying that he plans to work with him personally in the off season and beyond to help with adjustments to pitchers and so forth.  Not a bad personal mentor to have.

One wee, final thing.  His name isn't pronounced to rhyme with "fever" which will mess up some owners who might be thinking of re-naming their teams along those lines about now.  Sorry but it rhymes with Kev and rev etc.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
8 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

One wee, final thing.  His name isn't pronounced to rhyme with "fever" which will mess up some owners who might be thinking of re-naming their teams along those lines about now.  Sorry but it rhymes with Kev and rev etc.

well arent you a debbie downer.

14 hours ago, Lightning Bat said:

Do you guys think he's here to stay in the Sox lineup now? Time to smash the add button? 

Not to pile on, but the time to smash the add button was a week ago.  A top hitting prospect that gets called up to Boston is an add now, ask questions later.

Edited by JJ1223

What are the odds that Devers sticks at 3B?  I haven't looked up the league average, but his career fielding percentage is .938 throughout the minors.  Assuming that figure stays consistent, is that good enough to stick at 3B?

I'll take solid.  I drafted this kid a couple of years ago hoping he'd be a future 3B for me and with Goldy at 1B I really want him to stick at 3B to give me a great 3B option moving forward.  I just have seen so many times when great prospects come up playing one position and then end up at another one due to their defense (or lack thereof).  I'm really hoping he keeps playing a solid 3B!