NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Kareem Hunt 2017 Outlook

jetfan1983

Height: 5-11

Weight: 216

40-time: 4.62, 4.60 (Combine, Pro Day)

3-cone: 7.22 (Pro Day)

College: Toledo

Senior Year Stats: 13 games, 262 carries, 1475 yards, 10 TDs (5.6), 41 receptions, 403 yards, 1 TD, 0 fumbles

Drafted: 3.22 by the Chiefs (traded picks 3.40, 4.26, and 7.27 to Vikings)

NFL.com Profile

While he does look as slow as his 40-times, he does appear to have good instincts in tighter spaces. He's getting quite a bit of hype from both Rotoworld and a couple Chiefs beat writers. MAC Conference beat writers seem to like his pro prospects as well. What are everyone's thoughts on this guy challenging Spencer Ware for feature back duties this year? As many will remember, Ware faded hard down the stretch after such a solid start to 2016. It's likely to be some form of committee, but anyone potentially in a lead role for Andy Reid deserves analysis. With 41 senior year receptions, it appears Hunt can play all three downs if needed. And if nothing else, Hunt projects to at least be Ware's primary handcuff over Charcandrick West. 

FFPC Classic ADP: 8.7

FFPC Draft Expert ADP: 10.6 

MFL10 ADP: 9.2

MFL25 ADP: 9.4

I myself am a little off put by his slow forty and 3-cone times, but those might not be the end all, be all of talent evaluation. He profiles similarly to Kenneth Dixon in my opinion, with similar measurables, even if Dixon timed a bit faster. I guess I have some logical doubts given Ware probably isn't going away quietly and that he shares a similar ADP with players like Duke Johnson, Adam Thielen, Cameron Meredith, Marvin Jones, James White, and Jordan Matthews. His pass protection abilities are a bit of an unknown as well as he spent much of his senior year running routes and not blocking (although PFF thought he was pretty good at it). Still, what do we think here? It's late July and this guy needs a thread :D

Edited for spelling errors.

Edited by jetfan1983

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pretty crazy that there has only been one post on Hunt and it is already late July.  I'm targeting Hunt in every single draft this year.  He was one of my favorite players in the draft, I had a 2nd round grade on him and had him just below the big 4 (Leo, Mixon, Cook, McCaff).  I think Mixon and Cook falling into the 2nd combined with the depth of the class and the fact that he played at a small school has him going a little under the radar (except in all my dynasty leagues).  The measurables aren't great but his tape is and he also proved himself against big school competition in the Senior Bowl.  He's one of the most fun players to watch on tape, combining incredible lateral agility, good burst, fantastic hands, sufficient long speed, and amazing balance.  Seriously, watch how Hunt always stays on his feet while getting hit.  That's his signature trait which should translate to the NFL, Marshawn Lynch-eque balance (although without the power). PLUS he got drafted to one of the most RB friendly schemes in an Andy Reid offense and doesn't face much competition in Spencer Ware and Charknado West.  The fact that Reid actually traded up for him makes me even more bullish on his prospects (the now fired GM Dorsey technically traded up for him but I have a hard time believing Reid wasn't championing the move when it involves trading up for a RB).  For people who haven't watched him (and I don't share a league with) I recommend going on draftbreakdown.com and watching some of his games.

Edited by Chwf3rd
spelling

On 7/24/2017 at 5:24 PM, Chwf3rd said:

Pretty crazy that there has only been one post on Hunt and it is already late July.  I'm targeting Hunt in every single draft this year.  

Yea, I agree he's interesting. I'm just not sure Ware is going away. Hunt's measurables really aren't very good as he's essentially got Jordan Howard's quickness at 15 pounds less. Still, I agree that the fact that Andy Reid likes him is a major plus. Also, I do like his film and passing game chops, even tho Ware is good at that too.

Anyway, I just grabbed him at 11.6 in a $250 FFPC Draft Experts Format, so I guess I like him enough to pull the trigger there. We'll see what happens. He seems to bring his lunch pale to work every day. Reports out of KC say teammates and coaches like what they see. Ware is likely to be the guy there still, but I guess you never know in this game. Seems like a good, calculated gamble when the price becomes right, plus a draft experts format makes a selection like this much easier. 

I've been touting this guy as better than Dalvin Cook for months now. Should be going no later than 1.05 in rookie drafts. 

Funny to see petekrum flip-flopping like a politician on Hunt; this was a post he liked after the draft:

Hunt is a stud...glad more people are starting to realize it. 

He's not going to amount to much this year.

A great handcuuff, for sure... for when/if Spencer Ware fumbles too many times or gets a concussion.

1 hour ago, ponza88 said:

He's not going to amount to much this year.

A great handcuuff, for sure... for when/if Spencer Ware fumbles too many times or gets a concussion.

Why do you say that? The Chiefs have already invested a lot more into Hunt than they have into Ware.

14 minutes ago, Chwf3rd said:

Why do you say that? The Chiefs have already invested a lot more into Hunt than they have into Ware.

Hunt's going to need a season ending injury to Ware to make an impact this season. Ware was good last season. 

24 minutes ago, Chwf3rd said:

NFL Production.

10 minutes ago, boltup15 said:

Hunt's going to need a season ending injury to Ware to make an impact this season. Ware was good last season. 

Just now, ponza88 said:

NFL Production.

So the reasoning is that Ware was too good last season for Hunt to replace him.

I like Ware but all the indicators seem to show that Reid will give Hunt an opportunity to take over the job.  I have a hard time believing the Chiefs would give up a 3rd + 4th + 7th to draft a RB they don't plan on giving an opportunity to while handing the job to a former fullback who they resigned to a 2 year 3.6 million deal.  Again, I like Ware but I also like any RB starting in an Andy Reid offense.  Hunt could very well play the entire season behind Ware but acting like that's a given is ludicrous. Plus that risk is already baked into his ADP.

The reasoning is,

Ware was GOOD in almost every aspect of the game, at the NFL level... and Hunt has NO EXPERIENCE with NFL Competition. It's easy to assume that Ware would have to f--- up extremely bad and Hunt would have to be a Round 1 talent type of player to take the job outright. 

There could be a split in workload  by seasons end.... but it will more than likely look like a 70/30 split in favor of Ware.

Edited by ponza88

1 minute ago, KennyWoo said:

I honestly think that Ware is JAG and I don't think Reid is committed to him.  That doesn't mean Hunt will force anything more than a value-killing timeshare, of course.  But Hunt has big upside.  Reid's #1 backs eat.

You haven't watched tape on Ware then.

But everyone has their opinion. Hope my leaguemates share your sentiments.

Edited by ponza88

4 minutes ago, ponza88 said:

The reasoning is,

Ware was GOOD in almost every aspect of the game, at the NFL level... and Hunt has NO EXPERIENCE with NFL Competition. It's easy to assume that Ware would have to f--- up extremely bad and Hunt would have to be a Round 1 talent type of player to take the job outright. 

There could be a split in workload  by seasons end.... but it will more than likely look like a 60/40 split in favor of Ware.

Ware was good last season and Hunt is an excellent prospect.  I think we can both agree that the job will not be handed to Ware and that both players have the chance to run away with it.  That alone makes Hunt a great player to target because of the immense upside of being the RB (and a super talented hand picked RB no less) in an Andy Reid offense.

4 minutes ago, Chwf3rd said:

Ware was good last season and Hunt is an excellent prospect.  I think we can both agree that the job will not be handed to Ware and that both players have the chance to run away with it.  That alone makes Hunt a great player to target because of the immense upside of being the RB (and a super talented hand picked RB no less) in an Andy Reid offense.

I don't agree. Lol.

Hunt is merely a good handcuff to have. Until I see proof of him consistently turning it on.

Also Ware's ADP that you mentioned is the 18th RB off the board... He can have elite RB1 production on good matchups.... Not sure many outside the top 12 can tout that.

Ware is still a bargain imo.

Edited by ponza88

30 minutes ago, UcanTry said:

In 3 of my dynasty leagues I've had to burn a 1st on hunt. I should say in all 3 I have ware hunt and west. Kinda dreading what might be a timeshare. West and ware split last year so not really sure why hunt and ware wouldn't. 

I don't recall Ware and West splitting anything. 

1 hour ago, UcanTry said:

In 3 of my dynasty leagues I've had to burn a 1st on hunt. I should say in all 3 I have ware hunt and west. Kinda dreading what might be a timeshare. West and ware split last year so not really sure why hunt and ware wouldn't. 

The only time West got into the game last year was if Ware needed a breather or was hurt, or very limited passing downs.  C-West is hot garbage.

I'm not sure I see the high upside in Kareem Hunt that a lot of others are seeing. He put up real solid college numbers (in the MAC) but it's not like he set the world on fire. Combine, especially 40 time, was ho-hum. I think people get excited about rookies and tend to project or hope for things that aren't there (*cough* Devontae Booker *cough*). 

Also, it has to be discussed that the NFL success for position players coming out of the MAC, specifically RBs, is frankly quite low. You can peruse the names in the link below, but here are all the MAC running backs drafted in the 4th round or higher since 2000:

- Dri Archer (2014 - Round 3, 97th overall)

- Bernard Pierce (2012 - Round 3, 85th overall)

- Garrett Wolfe (2007 - Round 3, 93rd overall)

- Travis Prentice (2000 - Round 3, 63rd overall)

- Doug Chapman (2000 - Round 3, 88th overall)

The most successful (ever) have probably been Michael Turner (2004 - Round 5, 154th overall) and James Starks (2010 - Round 6, 193rd overall). Now I haven't studied Hunt extensively, but ask yourself what he's done or shown to warrant the upside label and be the most successful MAC running back ever. I think he's a committee member at best, especially in redraft. 

http://www.mac-sports.com/news/2016/4/25/FB_0425162836.aspx

12 minutes ago, '71 Bucks said:

I'm not sure I see the high upside in Kareem Hunt that a lot of others are seeing. He put up real solid college numbers (in the MAC) but it's not like he set the world on fire. Combine, especially 40 time, was ho-hum. I think people get excited about rookies and tend to project or hope for things that aren't there (*cough* Devontae Booker *cough*). 

Also, it has to be discussed that the NFL success for position players coming out of the MAC, specifically RBs, is frankly quite low. You can peruse the names in the link below, but here are all the MAC running backs drafted in the 4th round or higher since 2000:

- Dri Archer (2014 - Round 3, 97th overall)

- Bernard Pierce (2012 - Round 3, 85th overall)

- Garrett Wolfe (2007 - Round 3, 93rd overall)

- Travis Prentice (2000 - Round 3, 63rd overall)

- Doug Chapman (2000 - Round 3, 88th overall)

The most successful (ever) have probably been Michael Turner (2004 - Round 5, 154th overall) and James Starks (2010 - Round 6, 193rd overall). Now I haven't studied Hunt extensively, but ask yourself what he's done or shown to warrant the upside label and be the most successful MAC running back ever. I think he's a committee member at best, especially in redraft. 

http://www.mac-sports.com/news/2016/4/25/FB_0425162836.aspx

fair points, no doubt about it.  That being said, Hunt is sitting behind a 6th round pick as well, granted from LSU, but Ware def wasn't even in the same area code setting the league on fire in college as well.  I think Reid see's a lot he likes in Hunt.  I do expect Ware to get the bulk of the work to start the season, that just makes too much sense.  Ware has also been nicked  up at times and with a steady work load at the end of last season he failed to do much, IMO. So i also think that lends itself to the idea of questioning whether Ware can handle a full season work load.    I think KC overall wants both Ware/Hunt to be an effective time share in the long run.   Which player pushes himself further then the other over the course of time will be interesting to watch.  Ware is not an overall great athlete in any form or fashion, but he is a fine player who will contribute heavily if healthy to start this season

Edited by BlakeP42

Ware is a very good RB.  One person said "he faded down the stretch".  Actually he was slow coming back from his concussion and was playing a bit tentative.  It showed in his run style.  That is the only question in my mind: Is Ware back to his original running style?  One has to remember Ware looked great when he came into his own two years ago pushing Charles and Cwest for time.  He played well to start the 2016 year until his concussion then was slow to get his mojo back.

This is a good backfield to have a piece of and I will be monitoring this situation through TC and preseason. I want to see how both of these guys run.  It is a big transition to the NFL and there is always so much hype with rookie RBs but more often than not they don't end up where people hope they do. 

I'd like to get both Ware and Hunt as a cuff if possible but that usually proves difficult to do.

4 minutes ago, mrblonde1984 said:

Curious to see if he'll be able to pass protect at the NFL level. Always a big question when it comes to rookie RBs.

Yep, it is why the transition is so difficult.  Expanded playbooks, faster pace, more skilled athletes.  It is asking a lot for rookies to come in and instantly play well.  Ware has proven he can be the lead back and have success doing so.