NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Kareem Hunt 2017 Outlook

jetfan1983

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, PlayTheWaivers said:

Top 10 Rb talk is hilarious. I was on the Booker train last year as well. I learned

my lesson from that one.

If I owned Hunt in a dynasty, I would maximize that trade value immediately in order to acquire a great proven player.

In terms of redraft, I will repeat that Hunt is a rb in the 18-24 range. The KC offense is going to blow this year. Make no mistake.

You don't recover so easily when you dump Maclin and lose your top running back who has worked as the top RB all offseason. And also, let's not forget that Alex Smith is the qb and is feeling the heat of being benched for Mahomes each week.

If you're saying Ware is head-and-shoulders better than the hand-picked rookie 3rd rounder, then fine. I like Ware too, so I'll wait and see how Hunt fills the Ware role in Andy Reid's offense. Hunt will get a good majority (65% minimum) of the carries from Week 1. He's either going to take the job and run with it, or allow Spiller and West onto the field on 3rd down and hurry-up situations. But Hunt's proven himself as a pass blocker all summer. He's trusted by the coaches and the QB.

You say Alex Smith has heat on him. In my opinion, Mahomes would make this offense better, particularly with getting the ball to Hill deep. But even with Alex Smith at QB, the Chiefs return their top two receivers from 2016 (Kelce and Hill). Maclin was tied for third in receptions on the team (44) with Chris Conley. I don't see how Maclin was as pivotal to the offense as you say he is. He only played in 12 healthy games last year and the rest of the offensive guys stepped up big time.

Kelce, Hill and Ware were all solid weekly fantasy starts most of 2016.

Are these 10 man leagues? I'm in 16 teamers and there is no way Hunt lasts to the 3rd round, might not make it to the 2nd. 

I'm sitting with the 7th pick and I'm intrigued by the workhorse numbers he could get on a great team. Compared to likely backs available, the only one I'd consider over Hunt is Gurley or Murray. Howard, no. Cook, prob not. 

3 minutes ago, djenders said:

Are these 10 man leagues?

Hunt's 3.03 ADP (PPR) is in 12 teamers.

I know he's a bell cow by default, but bell cow he is nonetheless, and on a run-first, playoff caliber team to boot.  What he lacks in flash he more than makes up with in well-roundedness.  

Could he screw the whole thing up when the bullets begin to fly because he is still a snot-nosed, wide-eyed kid who just got off the train from Toledo?  Sure.

Could he start well and then hit the proverbial "rookie wall," leaving you high and dry come the FF post-season?  Sure.

All signs are that Andy Reid loves him.  If Reid thinks he can do it, then so do I, damn the torpedoes.  

1 minute ago, bigbluecrew56 said:

Nobody even the slightest bit scared of Charknado eating into his worload? He did go for 7 carries 100 in the second preseason game. 

It's possible but why would they not play the young guy who could be their future and present back?   Everyone needs a blow once in awhile. But I think Hunt gets almost 20 carries a game.  At least 20 touches a game.

Just now, bigbluecrew56 said:

Nobody even the slightest bit scared of Charknado eating into his worload? He did go for 7 carries 100 in the second preseason game. 

But West went for 3.3 yards per carry last season in games that counted. Hunt was Reid's hand-picked guy. Reid's offense turned a 4.6 40 full back from LSU named Spencer Ware into a guy who looked liked a superstar from Weeks 1-7 last year, until the concussion, Ehinger injury and play-calling changed. After McCoy, Westbrook, Charles, and Ware for half a season last year, I'm very ok with any Reid-picked RB in a Reid offense who will get a vast majority of the touches.

18 hours ago, PlayTheWaivers said:

The KC offense is going to blow this year.

Probably one of the more ignorant statements I've seen in a while, considering virtually everything remains unchanged with the loss of Maclin and the marginal difference between Ware and Hunt.

7 minutes ago, dabeesta17 said:

But West went for 3.3 yards per carry last season in games that counted. Hunt was Reid's hand-picked guy. Reid's offense turned a 4.6 40 full back from LSU named Spencer Ware into a guy who looked liked a superstar from Weeks 1-7 last year, until the concussion, Ehinger injury and play-calling changed. After McCoy, Westbrook, Charles, and Ware for half a season last year, I'm very ok with any Reid-picked RB in a Reid offense who will get a vast majority of the touches.

He did look decent in 2015 when he got the call. I remember him specifically winning me a couple of weeks as i went through the Charles, Ware, and Nado carousel. I think West was also banged up last year. I'm just saying he's the incumbent veteran and he's seen and done this before. He's also looked explosive so i'm just saying that I think Hunt's leash may not be as long as some think. I'm also not enthused with Hunt's price tag going into my draft next week.  

19 minutes ago, bigbluecrew56 said:

He did look decent in 2015 when he got the call. I remember him specifically winning me a couple of weeks as i went through the Charles, Ware, and Nado carousel. I think West was also banged up last year. I'm just saying he's the incumbent veteran and he's seen and done this before. He's also looked explosive so i'm just saying that I think Hunt's leash may not be as long as some think. I'm also not enthused with Hunt's price tag going into my draft next week.  

Guess my point is that this is obviously Hunt's job to lose. The Chiefs already know the upside of Spiller and West. They hope Hunt is the game-changing, sticks-moving RB they drafted, who can pass block and catch the ball out of the backfield. Nobody knows if Hunt will live up to this. But he's going to get the opportunity for at least five games. West and Spiller offer no upside. There is plenty of film to show that.

I agree that the price for Hunt is getting high. But he's like Elliott 2016. Unproven rookie RB in a great situation. I guess that's also Fournette 2016, but he's been injured all preseason. Hunt will get 18+ touches for at least five-plus weeks and has shown competence with pass blocking and vision. I have no more drafts, but late 3rd is not a stretch at all for Hunt. 4th anywhere is perfect.

Edited by dabeesta17

He's nothing like Zeke. KC's o-line is hot garbage compared to Dallas. Mobile QB vs Alex Smith. Top tier 1st selection vs 3rd round. Idiot coaching staff that has no idea how to use their best players

agree on the prices. 3rd may be pushing it but go 4th all day long

Edited by lolcopter

Hunt is a rookie RB in a great situation for RBs (Chiefs, Reid, history). That is how he compares to Elliott 2016 ("Dallas O-line"). Alex Smith is a very mobile QB. He had 500 yards on the ground at 6 yards/carry in 2015. He's just aging now (33). I wouldn't call Reid "idiot coaching staff" when it comes to RBs. He's proven he knows how to get the most out of his RBs. Even with the funky rotations late last year, Ware was still getting 15+ carries per game.