NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Kareem Hunt 2017 Outlook

jetfan1983

The intersection of talent and opportunity. His talent could be middling (we won't have any idea for a while), but the opportunity is there to have a huge season. When Latavius Murray is made relevant last year in a worse situation opportunity wise I think if you have Hunt you'd want to keep him around. 

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's very talented, what are you on about? He was breaking tackles left and right and throwing out stiff arms for additional yardage consistently. And in the passing game? Pretty self explanatory. He may not have the break away speed of his teammate Tyreek, but he is far and away the most talented runner in that's Chiefs backfield since a young Jamaal Charles (and NO that is not a direct comparison, JC was more speed whereas Hunt seems like a more complete back)

Kareem Hunt trade scenarios

1. Someone gives you a stupid offer you can't refuse for him, enough to upset your other league members

2. You are loaded with rb1's from the draft and need help in other position slots like rb/te/qb because ur current roster is a bunch of  barely startable 3's

3. you think you are 'upgrading' or getting a safer rb option like DJ/Bell and for some reason the other guy wants to do that type of trade.

As someone reminded me CJ Spiller had a similar type of hot start and the hype was out of control and then he didnt produce second half of season

I dont think the real story was Kareem Hunt, I think the real story was Alex Smith played like he was fighting/auditioning for his starting job. It was like he had a chip on his shoulder and was trying to prove he really is not a Game Manager.

If he keeps playing like this that offense really opens up and Kareem will feast

1 minute ago, dashoe said:

I dont think the real story was Kareem Hunt, I think the real story was Alex Smith played like he was fighting/auditioning for his starting job. It was like he had a chip on his shoulder and was trying to prove he really is not a Game Manager.

If he keeps playing like this that offense really opens up and Kareem will feast

Alex Smith is early favorite for waiver add of the week.  Not something I'd ever thought I'd state.

3 minutes ago, Trifecta said:

Alex Smith is early favorite for waiver add of the week.  Not something I'd ever thought I'd state.

yeah, that dood was lit last night, and good for him.  he's one of the good guys in the league, glad he went and got him some.  

and, if that Berry injury is serious, that's gonna hurt the team by weakening that defense quite a bit.   Smiff and the kid may need to ball out a hell of a lot more. 

2 minutes ago, beerfish said:

I always hate using a roster spot on a handcuff, be us Hunt owners pretty much have to handcuff him with West, right?

I've never believed in the handcuff theory.  I'd rather use my roster spot on a starter or regular contributor.

3 minutes ago, raltherr said:

I've never believed in the handcuff theory.  I'd rather use my roster spot on a starter or regular contributor.

Why not guarantee yourself a starting running back in case Hunt misses time? Handcuff all the way. Let's be real, you're not going to use that player who's in the 14th or 15th spot of your roster anyway. Might as well stash lotto tickets. West is an RB2 without hunt. 

1 minute ago, smetana34 said:

Why not guarantee yourself a starting running back in case Hunt misses time? Handcuff all the way. Let's be real, you're not going to use that player who's in the 14th or 15th spot of your roster anyway. Might as well stash lotto tickets. West is an RB2 without hunt. 

We've seen West before. He isn't that good.

1 minute ago, smetana34 said:

Because every other RB I currently have rostered is better than a full time West

18 hours ago, dabeesta17 said:

No it means the Patriots (and pretty much all NFL teams) can keep eight defenders close to the line of scrimmage because they know even if Tyreek Hill or any other receiver breaks free on a go-route, Smith can't get them the ball beyond 25-ish yards anyway.

Oh... oh dear

2 minutes ago, smetana34 said:

Because the handcuff strategy assumes that the guy replacing your starter is going to produce similar numbers.  Unless you have Larry Johnson sitting behind Priest Holmes, that usually isn't the case.  I'd rather use the roster spot on a more talented player.  

6 minutes ago, smetana34 said:

1. bye week havoc 

2. usually better stashes and lottery tickets to  have than a handcuff without standalone value, particularly if ur already strong in rb and weaker in other slots

16 minutes ago, raltherr said:

it's like buying insurance. peace of mind. and it's not like there are any 'starters' or 'regular contributors' where West is going in drafts (doubt he is drafted often)

There's got to be talent too though, which is why Henry and Foreman types are far more appealing handcuffs than West imo 

1 minute ago, Chippa said:

Oh... oh dear

HAHA!! I'll quote SBNation.com from this morning on this, which echoed many of my observations yesterday. Good game by Alex Smith.

First, some context:

For his career, Smith’s averaged 6.8 yards per attempt. On Thursday against the Patriots, he averaged 10.5 yards per attempt.

On Kareem Hunt’s 78-yard touchdown early in the fourth quarter, Smith even passed up a wide open Travis Kelce on a crossing route to chuck it down the field. He NEVER passes up a good crossing route, or at least he didn’t used to.

Smith threw the ball deep, i.e. more than 20 yards in the air, four times on Thursday night. He completed three of those passes.

In one game, he connected for a 75-yard and a 78-yard touchdown. Between 2006 and 2016, he had that same number, two, of touchdowns for 75 yards or more. He is also the only quarterback with two touchdowns of 75-plus yards against Belichick’s Patriots. Smith is only the second quarterback with 300 yards and four touchdowns in a game against the Belichick Patriots (Drew Brees is the other one).