NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Kareem Hunt 2017 Outlook

jetfan1983

2 minutes ago, dabeesta17 said:

The 2-4 playoff career record is what sticks out though. And one of his playoff wins was a gift from Brian "4 INTs" Hoyer. Smith had a great and unusual game last night. He'll need to string together several of those types of games from last night to change objective observers' perception of him.

he also carried his team against the colts in the playoffs. His defense, and Luck is what cost him that game. 

I'm defending Smith too much right now, so I'm just going to stop here

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, lolcopter said:

Not really. I need players who will actually play, during bye weeks and whatnot. You could just as easily snag the Breitas and Carsons of the world off the wire rather than burning a roster spot on players like West.

Thankfully, someone else actually drafted West in my league so I don't even have to bother with it

come on ..  you're in a draft room and you don't ever draft that backup-up RB as a late draft pick ... you never have a a Gillisee/Prosise/DukeJohnson/McFadden/Henry on your roster?

your roster always has players who actually start and are not backups?

also worrying about bye weeks now?

most of my leagues are 12 team with 6 bench 180 players are drafted and I own a few backup RB's ...

2 minutes ago, lolcopter said:

Professional scouts are wrong just as often as they're right. See: bust rate of 1st round picks 

Exactly, just like the rest of us. We all like to pretend we have knowledge, insight, experience, etc that enable us to predict success, but it's nothing more than self-serving hogwash. Congrats to those lucky enough to end up with Hunt. Hopefully those who wound up with Fournette, Cook, McCaffrey, Mixon experience similar good fortune.

2 minutes ago, raltherr said:

I'm not against owning backups.  If I knew there was a really good backup just waiting for an injury to give him an opportunity, I'd take a chance on him.  West isn't that guy.

whereas i agree on West, let's remember the huge migrating factor of the Andy Reid scheme ... West has shown flashes in it before, but has not been consistently reliable/good.  

give the Fatman his due - he funnels his entire offense through his tailback, and they are guaranteed to be put in positions to succeed ... whether they have the talent to dominate (Westbrook, Charles, Hunt last night) or simply be serviceable is another story. 

also, this Is the most explosive offense Reid's had in KC - 'Reek and Kelce open up so much more of the field for the rbs .... pretty impressive. 

not gonna kill anyone for advocating the 'cuff, but i can also see why some are ambivalent.   

oh, and - HUNT, BABY!! ???

Just now, shakestreet said:

come on ..  you're in a draft room and you don't ever draft that backup-up RB as a late draft pick ... you never have a a Gillisee/Prosise/DukeJohnson/McFadden/Henry on your roster?

your roster always has players who actually start and are not backups?

also worrying about bye weeks now?

most of my leagues are 12 team with 6 bench 180 players are drafted and I own a few backup RB's ...

I mean, this conversation was just in the context of rostering West, and I just don't think he's good enough for that spot. And no, I actually don't really have any backups currently

12 team standard -- Freeman, Hunt, Mixon (3rd string yeah yeah), Martin, Woodhead (not a backup, per se)

8 team full PPR (lmao) -- Johnson, Elliot, Cook, Hunt, Riddick

4 minutes ago, Elcapitan said:

And also lets not get cocky fellow Hunt owners. Remember when Carlos Hyde had that big game in week 1? Seriously though anyone remember? I think he disappeared the rest of the season right?

Good point, Hunt is another sell-high candidate.

I would probably stick with him though. Andy Reid with RB's = gold

5 minutes ago, raltherr said:

I'm not against owning backups.  If I knew there was a really good backup just waiting for an injury to give him an opportunity, I'd take a chance on him.  West isn't that guy.

West is not your guy I can accept that .... but if Hunt went down West "might" be a good replacement  for teams who are strapped at RB. Looking at his player card he has had some good games

West is owned in all my 12 team leagues .....

4 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

West is not your guy I can accept that .... but if Hunt went down West "might" be a good replacement  for teams who are strapped at RB. Looking at his player card he has had some good games

West is owned in all my 12 team leagues .....

West makes sense if ur usng zero rb strategy or ur simply lacking any rb depth. I dont care for him as a Hunt owner, other cuffs I would rather own for higher risk rb's. Same approach I have as a Gurley owner, no point in owning his cuff

6 minutes ago, Elcapitan said:

Drafted Gil and Hunt as my RB1 and RB2 in the 5th and 6th round of a 12man. Please God, let them pan out for me.

And also lets not get cocky fellow Hunt owners. Remember when Carlos Hyde had that big game in week 1? Seriously though anyone remember? I think he disappeared the rest of the season right?

Unlike another person here, I'm going to say bad point.

Entirely different situations. Was this his rookoe year? Lemme guess, QB = CK, only offensive pass catcher worth a damn was likely Vernon Davis. I bet that offense as a whole didnt do much.

Alex Smith > CK

Travis Kelce > Vernon Davis

Tyreek Hill > Garbo backup WRs they had that year.

Kansas City OLine > 49ers OLine

Kareem Hunt is in an ideal situation where he doesnt have to worry about defenses stacking the box because they will get torched through the air trying to stop a rookie.

26 minutes ago, Iron-cock said:

One of the guys on a dynasty podcast I listen to was super high on Kareem Hunt.  Pre-Combine he was saying he thought Hunt could produce just as well as Fournette and Mixon.  The combine threw a lot of people off though.

It shouldn't have. He had the same measurables as Brian Westbrook for anyone who was willing to listen...

29 minutes ago, dabeesta17 said:

The 2-4 playoff career record is what sticks out though. And one of his playoff wins was a gift from Brian "4 INTs" Hoyer. Smith had a great and unusual game last night. He'll need to string together several of those types of games from last night to change objective observers' perception of him.

The other win was him outdueling Brees and one of the greatest offenses in NFL history in 2011. 

Colts 2013 loss wasn't his fault; his only real bad playoff game was last year vs PIT. 

Winning changes everything.

22 minutes ago, Elcapitan said:

Excellent point, but this was way more impressive

9 minutes ago, Holben said:

Unlike another person here, I'm going to say bad point.

Entirely different situations. Was this his rookoe year? Lemme guess, QB = CK, only offensive pass catcher worth a damn was likely Vernon Davis. I bet that offense as a whole didnt do much.

Alex Smith > CK

Travis Kelce > Vernon Davis

Tyreek Hill > Garbo backup WRs they had that year.

Kansas City OLine > 49ers OLine

Kareem Hunt is in an ideal situation where he doesnt have to worry about defenses stacking the box because they will get torched through the air trying to stop a rookie.

I was not comparing their team/player situation. I am comparing the cockiness of all the people after his good game week 1. In my experience, its the cocky owners/people who tend to have bad luck/karma. Just wanted people to tone it down with SEE I TOLD YOU SO or HE'S THE SECOND COMING posts so we all dont get bad karma lol.

42 minutes ago, Lamont Sanford said:

Copied from NFL.com's draft profile-

Kareem Hunt

Bottom Line

"Big back with plus vision and enough elusiveness to make the first defender miss. Feel for the rushing lane helps him choose the correct path between the tackles but lacks the burst to turn the 4-yard run into 14. Zone-scheme runner with serviceable hands out of the backfield. Adequate in most areas and has talent to become a backup that can step in and handle a bigger load if needed."

In other words, none of us, including  professional football scouts who get paid to analyze these guys, have any idea wtf we're talking about. 

No...THEY have no idea what their talking about. Several of us who actually think for ourselves have been stating since April how special Hunt is -- Scott Barrett, Jake Ciely, Graham Barfield are some of the more prominent fantasy analysts to do so. 

6 minutes ago, joshua18 said:

The other win was him outdueling Brees and one of the greatest offenses in NFL history in 2011. 

Colts 2013 loss wasn't his fault; his only real bad playoff game was last year vs PIT. 

Winning changes everything.

the muffed punt in the NFC 'chip game vs the Jints wasn't his fault either -  and it also led to Kaep the following season, to boot. 

31 minutes ago, Elcapitan said:

I was comparing while examining a sell high but the 49ers were a dumpster fire and then Hyde banged up his ankle. 

One thing I appreciate about Kareem is that he didn't let the fumble bring him down. He immediately came back out and churned a 7 or 8 yard run the next drive. 

He looked really good. You never would have known he was a rookie if no one ever told you. He consistently gained chunks of yardage and fell forward. He shed tackles like a bruiser and stiff armed like Eddie George back in the day. As someone else also pointed out, kudos to Coach Reid for continuing to let #27 tote the rock after his mistake. 

4 minutes ago, joshua18 said:

No...THEY have no idea what their talking about. Several of us who actually think for ourselves have been stating since April how special Hunt is -- Scott Barrett, Jake Ciely, Graham Barfield are some of the more prominent fantasy analysts to do so. 

This is true - I follow Barrett and all the FG folks and they started pounding the table on draft day. 

6 minutes ago, Elcapitan said:

I was not comparing their team/player situation. I am comparing the cockiness of all the people after his good game week 1. In my experience, its the cocky owners/people who tend to have bad luck/karma. Just wanted people to tone it down with SEE I TOLD YOU SO or HE'S THE SECOND COMING posts so we all dont get bad karma lol.

No, you compared Hyde to Hunt. You told players not to get cocky, you didnt compare them to anything.

It's one game, so not going to go crazy here. Obviously it would be impossible to not be hyped though. Smith actually pushing the ball was a sight to see. He threw some beauties, too. That revelation would open things up quite nicely for Hunt. I'll be immediately trying to move Hunt and a wr for DJ/Bell though, and I'm going to offer Hunt straight up for Freeman and see what happens. Still a ton of unknown here. But obviously, very impressive. 

2 minutes ago, JSA2422 said:

This is true - I follow Barrett and all the FG folks and they started pounding the table on draft day. 

Barrett was pounding the table since February. I've been on board since April when I saw how similar his production and measurables are to Brian Westbrook...I'm sure Andy Reid noticed those too when he traded up to draft him in the same round he drafted Westbrook in PHI.