Jump to content
NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Kareem Hunt 2017 Outlook


jetfan1983
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, joshua18 said:

 

Barrett was pounding the table since February. I've been on board since April when I saw how similar his production and measurables are to Brian Westbrook...I'm sure Andy Reid noticed those too when he traded up to draft him in the same round he drafted Westbrook in PHI. 

 

 

Yeah I saw his reaffirmation tweets last night but I wasn't paying attention until post draft :ph34r:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, Lamont Sanford said:

Copied from NFL.com's draft profile-

 

Kareem Hunt

 

Bottom Line

 

"Big back with plus vision and enough elusiveness to make the first defender miss. Feel for the rushing lane helps him choose the correct path between the tackles but lacks the burst to turn the 4-yard run into 14. Zone-scheme runner with serviceable hands out of the backfield. Adequate in most areas and has talent to become a backup that can step in and handle a bigger load if needed."

 

In other words, none of us, including  professional football scouts who get paid to analyze these guys, have any idea wtf we're talking about. 

When there's that many players being analyzed, there's going to be a diverse range of opinions. It's about finding guys with opinions you trust. There's a forum out there that really focuses on college players and the Draft. I've been there for a decade now and it's littered with quality posters who know what they're talking about. The consensus there is very high on Hunt. The problems with NFL.com, CBS, or any mainstream outlet is they don't look indepth as college isn't really their schtick. They look at size, 40, and bench and offer a cookie cutter analysis. Those three things might be the worst predicators of success out there. Hunt killed it in his split drills and cone work,  both are indicators of burst and we saw that last night. 

 

Long post short: there's quality work out there on prospects if you're willing to look. Stay away from mainstream "paid professionals" and find guys you trust. The ones doing it as a hobby out of passion I've come to find are the guys who know their stuff; and that goes for things outside of football too. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This offense is going to score a lot of points, and if they use hunt the way they used him last night, especially in the redone he has as good a chance as anyone to finish top 10. The threat of Tyreek hill and deanthony thomas on the outside is going to keep opening up holes for hunt. Who said he was slow?? dude turned on the jets down the sideline on that 60 yarder. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

with regards to the sell high atmosphere, i own him in a money league, sent out offers 1-1 for freeman and shady (i own hunt) and was looking at murray but i draw the line at shady and freeman as RBs i would trade hunt straight up for

 

for reference on my opinion on the situation

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, kmoore1521 said:

with regards to the sell high atmosphere, i own him in a money league, sent out offers 1-1 for freeman and shady (i own hunt) and was looking at murray but i draw the line at shady and freeman as RBs i would trade hunt straight up for

 

for reference on my opinion on the situation

I think the 1-1 trade idea is the wrong way to go. If you really want to sell high, you need to ship him to a RB needy team after week 1 has played out. (Especially since there's at least 1 RB who ends up getting hurt this week).

 

Trade him for a really good WR and a meh replacement RB that maybe you're higher on than most. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, FootyFan said:

 

No posts after all the diarrhea & troll-borderline misinformation on Hunt leading up to last night's game?  I guess 12000+ posts & "All-Star" status doesn't mean anything in this forum.  Btw your signature is from 2015 with multiple players that aren't in the league yet.

Now, back on topic...  Anyone buying Hunt 2017 RB1 overall?

 

I'm not 100% convinced that Hunt's big night didn't have a whole lot to do with the Pats defense looking terrible.  For example, that long TD reception up the seam looked like a blown coverage by the DE that came into the game to replace Donta Hightower after Hightower got his knee rolled on in a pileup.

 

That DE?  Was just acquired in a trade ~5 days ago:

 

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/patriots/2017/09/05/patriots-newcomer-cassius-marsh-playing-catch-before-opener/MnMTSyOtETOAcmdLHm6scI/story.html

 

http://nep.247sports.com/Bolt/Cassius-Marsh-promises-defense-will-turn-it-around-107098292

 

I'd have to look at the rest of his runs again.  Almost any back, including FBs, can score on simple receptions into the flat near the goal-line.  So that one didn't really impress me in any way.  The fumble on his first NFL carry DID make me laugh, though.  Thought he was gonna David Wilson it up on the sideline after that, but he bounced back from it.

 

To be honest, a lot of his plays looked really well-blocked.  For example, Charcandrick West took his only carry right up the gut for a 21-yard TD run.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Experienced Rookie said:

I think the 1-1 trade idea is the wrong way to go. If you really want to sell high, you need to ship him to a RB needy team after week 1 has played out. (Especially since there's at least 1 RB who ends up getting hurt this week).

 

Trade him for a really good WR and a meh replacement RB that maybe you're higher on than most. 

 

see my issue with the WR route, is if your playing hunt as your flex, are you really even gaining points trading for any WR? the stud WR get around 200 points and i think at this junction that is hunts floor barring injury so why even bother you know? odds are youll still be playing your WR2 at flex and just move hunts production to the WR slot

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Robrain said:

 

I'm not 100% convinced that Hunt's big night didn't have a whole lot to do with the Pats defense looking terrible.  For example, that long TD reception up the seam looked like a blown coverage by the DE that came into the game to replace Donta Hightower after Hightower got his knee rolled on in a pileup.

 

That DE?  Was just acquired in a trade ~5 days ago:

 

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/patriots/2017/09/05/patriots-newcomer-cassius-marsh-playing-catch-before-opener/MnMTSyOtETOAcmdLHm6scI/story.html

 

http://nep.247sports.com/Bolt/Cassius-Marsh-promises-defense-will-turn-it-around-107098292

 

I'd have to look at the rest of his runs again.  Almost any back, including FBs, can score on simple receptions into the flat near the goal-line.  So that one didn't really impress me in any way.  The fumble on his first NFL carry DID make me laugh, though.  Thought he was gonna David Wilson it up on the sideline after that, but he bounced back from it.

 

To be honest, a lot of his plays looked really well-blocked.  For example, Charcandrick West took his only carry right up the gut for a 21-yard TD run.

 

Fair enough.  Plus Belichick didn't gameplan for him.  More he puts on tape, the more teams might figure them out.  We have to give kudos to Reid for all the misdirection & play design last night, but he won't have all summer to prepare for a game anymore.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's only a one-game sample, but I wouldn't handcuff Hunt with West.

 

If you look at the way the Chiefs used Hill, Kelce, and Thomas, it was clear that when they weren't using Hunt, it's not like they were feeding West. 

 

If Hunt goes down, I'm guessing they move to a true RBBC with Hill, with a lot of the same shuttle passes, etc. I don't think they put West in and make him a workhorse. So he's not a "replacement" for Hunt. I think Hunt will continue to produce RB1 numbers in that offense if he stays healthy, but if he's injured, West is at best RB2/Flex material. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, bwarbiany said:

It's only a one-game sample, but I wouldn't handcuff Hunt with West.

 

If you look at the way the Chiefs used Hill, Kelce, and Thomas, it was clear that when they weren't using Hunt, it's not like they were feeding West. 

 

If Hunt goes down, I'm guessing they move to a true RBBC with Hill, with a lot of the same shuttle passes, etc. I don't think they put West in and make him a workhorse. So he's not a "replacement" for Hunt. I think Hunt will continue to produce RB1 numbers in that offense if he stays healthy, but if he's injured, West is at best RB2/Flex material. 

 

That looked like intentional misdirection gameplanned versus the Pats to throw them off.  Same reason Hogan ended up with 2 carries lol.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, joshua18 said:

For perspective: 

 

After week 1 of his rookie season, Kareem Hunt has 246 scrimmage yards and 3 TDs. 

 

Le'Veon Bell didn't reach 246 scrimmage yards or 3 TDs until week 8 of his rookie season. 

 

#HuntIsNoFluke

 

 

Ummm, terrible job researching relevant facts dude.

 

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2013/8/20/4642052/leveon-bell-injury-steelers-lisfranc-nfl

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, FootyFan said:

 

No posts after all the diarrhea & troll-borderline misinformation on Hunt leading up to last night's game?  I guess 12000+ posts & "All-Star" status doesn't mean anything in this forum.  Btw your signature is from 2015 with multiple players that aren't in the league anymore.

Now, back on topic...  Anyone buying Hunt 2017 RB1 overall?

Don't you just love to shower yourself in hindsight bias?

 

I would never bench Hunt if I drafted him with a top 4 or 5 pick but there was reasonable concern. The Patriots were good at run blocking and a lot of people expected the game to be one sided. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, kmoore1521 said:

with regards to the sell high atmosphere, i own him in a money league, sent out offers 1-1 for freeman and shady (i own hunt) and was looking at murray but i draw the line at shady and freeman as RBs i would trade hunt straight up for

 

for reference on my opinion on the situation

 

Really don't know why anyone would trade an RB1 for a rookie RB1 but ok...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, skye2388 said:

 

Really don't know why anyone would trade an RB1 for a rookie RB1 but ok...

 

me either but guy is considering it he said 

 

you never really know how high someone could be or someone might want the hot new RB so you gotta try, gotta take shots as ya nevaaaa know

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Robrain said:

 

I'm not 100% convinced that Hunt's big night didn't have a whole lot to do with the Pats defense looking terrible.  For example, that long TD reception up the seam looked like a blown coverage by the DE that came into the game to replace Donta Hightower after Hightower got his knee rolled on in a pileup.

 

That DE?  Was just acquired in a trade ~5 days ago:

 

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/patriots/2017/09/05/patriots-newcomer-cassius-marsh-playing-catch-before-opener/MnMTSyOtETOAcmdLHm6scI/story.html

 

http://nep.247sports.com/Bolt/Cassius-Marsh-promises-defense-will-turn-it-around-107098292

 

I'd have to look at the rest of his runs again.  Almost any back, including FBs, can score on simple receptions into the flat near the goal-line.  So that one didn't really impress me in any way.  The fumble on his first NFL carry DID make me laugh, though.  Thought he was gonna David Wilson it up on the sideline after that, but he bounced back from it.

 

To be honest, a lot of his plays looked really well-blocked.  For example, Charcandrick West took his only carry right up the gut for a 21-yard TD run.

This post just reinforces my desire never to post on a game thread again, because when I did, it pretty much turn into a pro Kareem hunt lynch mob/Kareem Hunt zombie attack. Kareem is a good running back, but Reid knows how to scheme players into space. The Pats were focused on stopping Kelce and, to a degree, Hill in that order. Kareem was the beneficiary. Plus this was a huge game for the Chiefs.

 

So is this the new Chiefs? Or a situation where you have the same old Chiefs that played out of their minds and a New England team that has a bit of a Super Bowl hangover and rolled out with a "business as usual" mentality and got out-schemed?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Gohawks said:

Don't you just love to shower yourself in hindsight bias?

 

I would never bench Hunt if I drafted him with a top 4 or 5 pick but there was reasonable concern. The Patriots were good at run blocking and a lot of people expected the game to be one sided. 

 

Indeed.

 

 

 

1-10-KC 25(12:08) (Shotgun) 27-K.Hunt right tackle to KC 32 for 7 yards (37-J.Richards). FUMBLES (37-J.Richards), RECOVERED by NE-32-D.McCourty at KC 32. 32-D.McCourty to KC 32 for no gain (17-C.Conley).

 

------

 

1-10-KC 10(9:25) 27-K.Hunt right guard to KC 19 for 9 yards (37-J.Richards, 24-S.Gilmore).

 

2-2-KC 45(7:05) (Shotgun) 11-A.Smith pass short left to 27-K.Hunt pushed ob at 50 for 5 yards (21-M.Butler).

 

1-10-(6:34) (Shotgun) 27-K.Hunt right tackle to NE 41 for 9 yards (24-S.Gilmore).

 

2-9-NE 9(3:47) 27-K.Hunt up the middle to NE 7 for 2 yards (53-K.Van Noy).

 

------

 

1-10-KC 23(7:22) (Shotgun) 27-K.Hunt right end pushed ob at KC 26 for 3 yards (53-K.Van Noy).

 

2-7-KC 26(6:47) (Shotgun) 27-K.Hunt right end pushed ob at KC 36 for 10 yards (53-K.Van Noy). option pitch

 

------

 

1-10-KC 8(2:47) (Shotgun) 27-K.Hunt left end pushed ob at KC 22 for 14 yards (37-J.Richards). PENALTY on KC-72-E.Fisher, Offensive Holding, 4 yards, enforced at KC 8 - No Play.

 

1-14-KC 4(2:29) (Shotgun) 27-K.Hunt right end to KC 11 for 7 yards (55-C.Marsh).

 

2-3-NE 3(:17) (Shotgun) 11-A.Smith pass short left to 27-K.Hunt for 3 yards, TOUCHDOWN.

 

------

 

END OF 1ST HALF

 

------

 

Hunt had 47 rushing yards on 8 carries in the first half.  Along with 2 receptions for 8 yards and a TD.

 

2ND HALF:

 

  1. 1-10-KC 25(15:00) 27-K.Hunt up the middle to KC 35 for 10 yards (98-T.Flowers; 93-L.Guy).
  2. 1-10-KC 35(14:23) 27-K.Hunt right end pushed ob at NE 45 for 20 yards (32-D.McCourty). PENALTY on KC-70-B.Witzmann, Offensive Holding, 10 yards, enforced at KC 35 - No Play.

 

2-13-KC 32(13:21) 11-A.Smith pass short right to 27-K.Hunt to KC 40 for 8 yards (24-S.Gilmore, 32-D.McCourty).

 

------

 

1-10-KC 14(7:08) 27-K.Hunt up the middle to KC 15 for 1 yard (98-T.Flowers, 45-D.Harris). NE-54-D.Hightower was injured during the play. His return is Questionable.

 

------

 

So Hunt had 57 yards rushing and 16 yards receiving before Hightower left the game.

 

Hunt then added 91 yards rushing and 82 yards receiving after Hightower's injury.  In less than 2 quarters.

 

9b79cc1eafb91eaee61a2aff4f199fd84348f054

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Robrain said:

 

That looked like intentional misdirection gameplanned versus the Pats to throw them off.  Same reason Hogan ended up with 2 carries lol.

It definitely threw them off lol. I think Reid did that to see who the Pats dedicated to shadowing Kelce as well as to confuse the defenders.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share


×
×
  • Create New...