NBC Sports Edge Forums

James Conner 2017 Season Outlook

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

19 minutes ago, CharlesHustle said:

Dude is gonna get 15 touches today I am telling you. Bell is not totally ready yet and they will not risk the season once the Steelers are up but a few TD's

Yea I think it's certainly possible. I have to play him in a 14 and 16 teamer due to JA having surprise BYE and a general modified zero RB game-plan.

Any non Bell owners holding Conner? Would he be likely be a bellcow if Le'Veon were to go down? I like stashing upside guys on my bench and he's still out there. AP is burning a hole in my bench so I just looked at whats out there and am curious now.

On 9/13/2017 at 3:49 PM, Ffguy0087 said:

Any non Bell owners holding Conner? Would he be likely be a bellcow if Le'Veon were to go down? I like stashing upside guys on my bench and he's still out there. AP is burning a hole in my bench so I just looked at whats out there and am curious now.

I don't understand why anyone would rather own players stuck in 3 RB committees than a quality backup to a workhorse that has nobody behind him and a great offensive line. Rather have this guy than Kerwynn Williams every day of the week, and AP too. 

28 minutes ago, miasma16 said:

I don't understand why anyone would rather own players stuck in 3 RB committees than a quality backup to a workhorse that has nobody behind him and a great offensive line. Rather have this guy than Kerwynn Williams every day of the week, and AP too. 

He is a rookie too tho. Do we really know how that backfield would even play out?

Edited by Ffguy0087
22 minutes ago, CABLE87 said:

Whos scooping him up before the games tomorrow :ph34r:

I would say yes. I drafted Conner in the last rounds of 2 of my leagues to sure up the backfield and I feel comfortable with him as the handcuff for Bell. Terrell Watson looks like the type of back that would steal goal line carries if Bell were to ever go down, but I don't envision him leapfrogging Conner unless Conner gets hurt or develops "Matt Jonesitis".

There's not a lot of sure fire handcuffs in the league right now. Hell, we barely have any bell-cow backs now. So for the little few handcuffs out there like a James Conner, I would definitely protect your RB investment with him.

I know that these blogs and team sites can be pro-player sometimes, but this was a nice write-up on Conner a few weeks back:

https://stillcurtain.com/2017/08/19/pittsburgh-steelers-expectations-james-conner-simple/

Edited by nonstopfan

I was able to acquire him via trade in a Dynasty where I also own Bell - relieved to have him.

The Bell/DeAngelo formula worked very well and is a signature strategy PIT goes to either during Bell injury or meaningless games. Fact of the matter is Conner is a #3 pick and there is no one behind him so he is logically expected to fulfill the DeAngelo role. 

He will be obviously not be as dynamic a back as DW was. DWill was a superstar in college and really had a strong ending to his career with his receiving skills. Conner is much more of a banger.

On 9/13/2017 at 5:49 PM, Ffguy0087 said:

Any non Bell owners holding Conner?

After the Bell owner strung me along for three weeks before backing out of a trade where I'd have gotten Bell, I made it a point to draft Connor before he could handcuff him.  Maybe I get nothing out of him.  Maybe Bell gets hurt again.  Maybe (though unlikely) Pitt doesn't franchise him again next year, and I really have something.  I'm willing to ride it out just on the off chance -- provided I don't get in too big a need of the roster spot.

2 minutes ago, Bandito said:

After the Bell owner strung me along for three weeks before backing out of a trade where I'd have gotten Bell, I made it a point to draft Connor before he could handcuff him.  

We are cut from the same cloth my friend haha. 

Still a shame you can't still use the "moving eye" avatar BTW - that was the bomb.

1 hour ago, SuperJoint said:

Still a shame you can't still use the "moving eye" avatar BTW - that was the bomb.

FGkIQLJ.gif

For old times sake.......

200w.gif

Edited by Bandito
  • 3 weeks later...

Bell just carried the ball 35 times this past week.

If any RB would be at a higher than average injury risk right now, it would be him. Connor is being significantly undervalued in most leagues, considering how valuable a starting RB in Pittsburgh is.

11 minutes ago, frog34 said:

I reckon this thread will have 10 sites in an hour or so. Fasten your seatbelts! :ph34r:

So it was FAKE NEWS - but still an important reminder that Conner is one of the more valuable handcuffs out there!

Haven’t been able to watch much of the Steelers so far this season. How does this guy look in comparison to the other rookies? Limited by opportunity I’m guessing, but talent-wise where does he slot in? 

Edited by lolcopter

Idk what was so exciting, but Conner looked pretty quick getting to the corner last Sun. These workloads are insane for Bell and I fully believe they'd basically transfer right over to Conner if something were to happen to Bell. Also keep in mind in keepers that Bell is a FA and they MAY have drafted Conner in the 3rd to replace him...? They have a lot of $ tied up in the offense.

Long term project. Someone who spots Bell so he can get his breath back and little more right now. 

Looks a very powerful and direct runner though, not comparable to the languid, patient style of Bell.

Has broken off a couple of decent runs in his very limited opportunities though. Clearly seen as one for the future.

2 minutes ago, urban2014 said:

If Bell gets suspended they will just bring in DeAngelo who knows the system and is probably still better at his age

Suspended for what? Is there some news story I'm missing right now that is bringing people to Conner's thread?

Edited by default_account