NBC Sports Edge Forums

Chris Flexen 2017 Outlook

Gets the call Thursday for the Mets in place of Wheeler. I admit I've never even heard of him until recently. Skipping AAA, and had solid numbers in AA this year.

And he was just added to Yahoo today. 

Skipped AAA and Vegas's thin air.

Longenhagen:

Chris Flexen, RHP, New York NL (Profile)
Level: Double-A   Age: 22   Org Rank: HM Top 100: NR
Line: 7 IP, 5 H, 0 BB, 1 R, 8 K
Notes
Flexen has a Tommy John under his belt and began the season on the DL after requiring surgery to remove a bone chip from his right knee. In six starts since his return, he has been 92-96, flashing an above-average slider and throwing all four of his pitches for strikes.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/instagraphs/daily-prospect-notes-619/

Coolguy: What’s Chris Flexen‘s upside?

Eric A Longenhagen: Could max out as an above average starter. Will show you 96, throws strikes with all four pitches, fastball has some tail to it.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/revenge-of-eric-longenhagen-prospects-chat/

Sickels:

The Mets are jumping him from Double-A to the majors with no intervening Triple-A exposure. That’s a risk but it also shows how much confidence they have in him. If Flexen maintains the improved command he’s shown this year, he could be a solid mid-rotation starter.

https://www.minorleagueball.com/2017/7/25/16025624/mlb-rookie-profile-chris-flexen-rhp-new-york-mets

Edited by Light Tower Power

Maybe he can be another Jake Faria (minus the trip to AAA), who was also a fairly unknown guy to come up and do pretty good.  Wish I was able to actually pick him up, as I would have to wait until the day after his start to pick him up.

The best nickname has already been said, so I won't throw one out there.  It's hard to top "Sexen".

Edited by KilloWertz
2 hours ago, Cmilne23 said:

@NyMetsfan5 you flexing on Flexen?  Honestly never heard of this guy.  Last guy Mets called up I never had heard of (Adam Wilk) had worst stuff I've seen all season.  

Flexen is a legit prospect. Wilk was AAAA fodder. 

He will probably only have a few starts before suffering a catastrophic arm injury though. 

I posted it in the minor league forum, but I went to an AA game in Hartford and watch him pitch. I admittedly Had never heard of them eitherbut was extremely impressed with him and his stuff.  Had good command in the zone, and was routinely throwing mid 90s.  Came away with a note to add him in my dyno, which I forgot until he was called up.  I'm streaming him tomorrow for what it's worth.  Don't know what he'll give, but again I liked what I saw 

@Cmilne23   Before the Mets signed Adam Wilk, he already pitched 26 Innings in the majors and had an ERA of over 6, so he was already really bad.

I'm really impressed by what Flexen did in July for AA. 3 straight starts of 7+ IP, no more than 2 ER in either, and 99 pitches was the fewest he threw in those starts, which is a good sign for depth.

I'm also surprised that out of all 10 starts between A/AA, his worst start is 6.2 IP, 3 ER. .

On July 13th, he gave up just 1 hit over 8 innings (Home Run) to the Reading Fightin Phils. Reading has 3 of the 8 Eastern League players with the most home runs (Including #1) 4 of the top 9 in Slugging (#1) and 3 of the top 5 in AVG. 

That was ugly.  His stuff looked terrible.  Nerves could of played a role.  First start in bigs.  Padres about as easy matchup as it gets.  Didn't see anything to make me even put him on my scout team.  But I'll keep an eye out on all young arms.  

On 7/27/2017 at 10:48 PM, Cmilne23 said:

That was ugly.  His stuff looked terrible.  Nerves could of played a role.  First start in bigs.  Padres about as easy matchup as it gets.  Didn't see anything to make me even put him on my scout team.  But I'll keep an eye out on all young arms.  

He was def very nervous.    He has a nice little fastball but his secondary stuff needs a lot of work.  Number 4 guy if he can find some secondary stuff. Nothing special