NBC Sports Edge Forums

Dice-K is now Dice-BB

ssmarsh

I have him in my league and we use K-BB as a category. He may get the W tonight, but he's -7 in K-BB!! What the heck has happened to his control? Last year he was +121 in that category!

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He seems to have games like that where his control abandons him. On the plus side, he only gave up two hits and one ER. His line could have been nightmarish.

Mechanics. He's too slow, then explodes toward the plate. He needs to maintain a consistent tempo throughout his delivery. He also drops the glove arm too soon.

He's had problems with walks since he entered the league. The guy walked 80 batters last year. It's part of the package you get with Matsuzaka.

He may have walked 80 last season, in 204.7 IP, but he also struck out 201. I can live with the 3.5 few walks per game, but the 1 strikeout is not good.

Dice BB - hilarious!

That's OK...but can we now agree to call Felix Hernandez "BB King" when he walks a lot of batters?

He has given up more walks than hits. That's dangerous. When those hits start to fall, he will have some 6+ ER starts.

It seems just as likely that the walks start to diminish...would that leave us with some 0 ER starts?

it comes with dice-k. he's usually good at keeping hitters from getting hits- i went to his last 2 starts, and both times he's been keeping them [for the most part] off the bases unless he walked them. esp. the game vs. TOR.

the walks are just his thing... alot of times he nibbles corners because they were strikes in japan or because he just thinks they're good pitches... and those lead to walks. when they lead to walks, he gets frustrated and his control fails him.

I have him in my league and we use K-BB as a category. He may get the W tonight, but he's -7 in K-BB!! What the heck has happened to his control? Last year he was +121 in that category!

I love your title as much as I now hate Dice-BB.

• 3 weeks later...

Two BBs, a single, and a wild pitch so far in the first INN. 1-0 Royals.

This guy hasn't lost yet....but I can't stand to watch him pitch. The most frustrating high-level talent out there.

I wish Varitek would take him into the clubhouse and knock some sense into him.

THROW STRIKES!!!!! B)

Two BBs, a single, and a wild pitch so far in the first INN. 1-0 Royals.

This guy hasn't lost yet....but I can't stand to watch him pitch. The most frustrating high-level talent out there.

I wish Varitek would take him into the clubhouse and knock some sense into him.

THROW STRIKES!!!!! B)

And it will be even worse today -- just the second time in his MLB career he has thrown to someone other than Tek. Bannister is nobody's idea of a big time talent, but he makes you put the ball in play. Dice threw over 30 pitches, and gave up a run with only one ball leaving the infiedl. You'd think he'd trust his stuff and go after guys, especially a weak offense like KC. Can't complain about Dice from a roto perspective but he must make BOS fans pull their hair out.

And it will be even worse today -- just the second time in his MLB career he has thrown to someone other than Tek. Bannister is nobody's idea of a big time talent, but he makes you put the ball in play. Dice threw over 30 pitches, and gave up a run with only one ball leaving the infiedl. You'd think he'd trust his stuff and go after guys, especially a weak offense like KC. Can't complain about Dice from a roto perspective but he must make BOS fans pull their hair out.

Yeah I really can't believe his Roto numbers, because after watching every one of his starts this year, he really doesn't look like one of the top pitchers in the league. His numbers though, make is seem like he is dominating this year. I think he is just getting lucky somehow, because all the walks will eventually come back to bite him.

Yeah I really can't believe his Roto numbers, because after watching every one of his starts this year, he really doesn't look like one of the top pitchers in the league. His numbers though, make is seem like he is dominating this year. I think he is just getting lucky somehow, because all the walks will eventually come back to bite him.

not sure he will get bit by walks so badly in terms of giving up tons of runs. he doesn't seem to give up a lot of hits, period. but he'll never go 7 innings this way.

not sure he will get bit by walks so badly in terms of giving up tons of runs. he doesn't seem to give up a lot of hits, period. but he'll never go 7 innings this way.

Yeah I know he does not give up a lot of hits, but you can't sustain this type of success with his current walk rate. (As of right now, 37 walks in 57 innings). Thats an insane rate for a guy who could likely be 8-0 after the game today.

Overall, I agree but the guy is WHIP ASSASSIN. WAY too many BBs and no where near enough Ks-- at least not anywhere near what I was expecting.

Thanks to Dice and McGowan I'm probably going to have to drop Werth and go out and grab a middle reliever that can help clean up my WHIP #.

I dread whenever he takes the mound, knowing an implosion is imminent at this point. I thought he was starting to get it turned around his last couple starts, but obviously that's not the case. The league will start hitting him harder, and those walks are gonna turn into runs.

As long as he doesn't get blasted today and still manages a win, I'm contemplating a sell high before the imminent ERA ballooning occurs.

A few weeks ago he pitched the Sunday Night Baseball game. I remember saying to my buddy, Francona should seriously consider embarrassing the guy. Just pull him in the fourth inning after another walk (this was the game where he walked 7 or 8), and tell him he can come back out an be a starting pitcher when he decides to compete. Maybe he destroys him? Who knows, but his issues are ridiculous. Twice (twice!) already today, he has walked Gordon, then thrown a WP to advance Gordon, and then watched Gordon score on a hit.

Archived