NBC Sports Edge Forums

Dice-K is now Dice-BB

ssmarsh

Can't anyone shares some insight as to why his pitches are toping out at 89'ish. He's only at 100 pitches.

EDIT: I also noticed he's been throwing a lot of breaking balls.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's a question: Would Dice be in Iowa if he were a Cub and Rich Hill pitched for the Red Sox?

I'm really having trouble seeing the difference between these two pitchers--other than the fact that one has a mild back strain...and the other is Japanese.

A few weeks ago he pitched the Sunday Night Baseball game. I remember saying to my buddy, Francona should seriously consider embarrassing the guy. Just pull him in the fourth inning after another walk (this was the game where he walked 7 or 8), and tell him he can come back out an be a starting pitcher when he decides to compete. Maybe he destroys him? Who knows, but his issues are ridiculous. Twice (twice!) already today, he has walked Gordon, then thrown a WP to advance Gordon, and then watched Gordon score on a hit.

I'm all for this. I need the W...but I'd rather have somebody read him the riot act and set his proverbial ship straight before he totally falls apart. This is SH** pitching for a $100+ million dollar contract.

I'm all for this. I need the W...but I'd rather have somebody read him the riot act and set his proverbial ship straight before he totally falls apart. This is SH** pitching for a $100+ million dollar contract.

His contract is about $50 million, not $100 million. He also has an ERA under 3.00 and maybe 8-0 in a couple hours. But I understand you completely, because this guy is just brutal to watch pitch. I think I'd almost rather attend a game that Wakefield is pitching over this guy.

His contract is about $50 million, not $100 million. He also has an ERA under 3.00 and maybe 8-0 in a couple hours. But I understand you completely, because this guy is just brutal to watch pitch. I think I'd almost rather attend a game that Wakefield is pitching over this guy.

They paid an exhorbitant fee just to be able to negotiate a contract with Dice. I'm taking that part into consideration as well....not just the $$$ he pockets.

They paid an exhorbitant fee just to be able to negotiate a contract with Dice. I'm taking that part into consideration as well....not just the $$ he pockets.

Very true, but I try to leave that 'fee' out of the equation when deciding how much Matsuzaka is actually being paid. I put the Fee into the realm of 'Paid this much money to allow us to become a massive phenomenon overseas' Fee. The Sox paid $50-ish million to negotiate, but it is more an investment than a fee. They are definitely reaping rewards. Still...they are paying Matsuzaka about $10 million cash to pitch, and it's tough to watch.

For those saying that Dice-K sucks and should be pulled out of games because he's doing so badly, look at his W/L record and ERA...walks dont mean anything as long as they're stranded when he takes care of the batters when it counts.

I guess they are trying to save the bullpen, but this could easily backfire. They used Lopez, Hansen, Delcarmen and Timlin each for an inning last night. That only leaves Papelbon and Okajima who didn't pitch. (pardon me if I miss someone). Im assuming they'd prefer to avoid Timlin, and not have to use the other 3 for another inning each.

he he's also only given up like 35 hits to go along with that...

Any major league team will take a guy who is 8-0, 60 innings and 53ks...2.40 era and a 1.32 whip on the year. He has lost numerous guys on 3-2 pitches. Eventually he will get a break and start k in more guys per 9. Im not worried about him as previously mentioned when guys are on base he takes care of business.

Any major league team will take a guy who is 8-0, 60 innings and 53ks...2.40 era and a 1.32 whip on the year. He has lost numerous guys on 3-2 pitches. Eventually he will get a break and start k in more guys per 9. Im not worried about him as previously mentioned when guys are on base he takes care of business.

Or maybe he'll stop getting breaks and more of those walks will score. His WHIP does not match his ERA.

Or maybe he'll stop getting breaks and more of those walks will score. His WHIP does not match his ERA.

Exactly. I've never heard of a guy who gets bad luck on walks, and eventually it will come down to suit his ERA. That makes no sense. If anything, his ERA will come up to match his walks. He's not getting bad luck on the calls, he's getting great luck on stranding runners. There is no reason to think his ERA will improve this much, if it improves at all, over last year. And he was pretty awful last year after the All Star break if I remember.

Before today's game he's pitched 54.3 innings, 46 K's, 32 BB's, 2.15 ERA, 1.23 WHIP, 7-0.

2.15 ERA in the American League is pretty sick in my opinion.

Can speculate all you want on him being on the edge, being lucky, having run support, blah, blah, blah.

Its his 2nd year in American baseball playing for a pretty high profile organization and I think he's still learning.

Not crowning him as CY Young material, but a 2.15 ERA isn't in need of run support everytime out, eh?

Here are his walk rates broken down by 1/2 seasons:

2007 1st half: 2.9

2007 2nd half: 4.4

2008: 5.8 (prior to today's start)

This is unsustainable. His ERA is going to balloon if he doesn't start throwing strikes.

Before today's game he's pitched 54.3 innings, 46 K's, 32 BB's, 2.15 ERA, 1.23 WHIP, 7-0.

2.15 ERA in the American League is pretty sick in my opinion.

Can speculate all you want on him being on the edge, being lucky, having run support, blah, blah, blah.

Its his 2nd year in American baseball playing for a pretty high profile organization and I think he's still learning.

Not crowning him as CY Young material, but a 2.15 ERA isn't in need of run support everytime out, eh?

I'll speculate all I want. With guys like Cliff Lee and Joe Saunders playing how they are, flukes are going all around. But I don't think DiceK will last because his games are very ugly. He's getting lucky. Last year he walked 80 guys in just over 200 innings. We're at about a quarter of that now, and he's already walked 30+ batters. He's on pace to walk 40 more guys than last year. That's a 50% increase! The fact they're getting stranded can't last. He is still on the same strikeout pace, so its not like he's deficient there. The things that he's gotten lucky on are stranding his walks by not allowing as many hits. But that means he's getting insanely lucky on getting outs from balls put in play. This is the guy who landed a 4.40 ERA last season. You can speculate that he either will do better or worse in his second year, but ignoring his luck thus far is a little naive in my opinion.

I expect a pretty big correction for Dice K over the rest of the season.

the wins are nice but these walks they is a killin' me....

without this run support, he'd be a .500 pitcher

Like it's been mentioned, his 2.15 era prior today went up to 2.40. Doesn't take a whole lot of run support like that to go 8-0. Only Clemens' as an Astro could pitch like that and not get any wins.

The walks are frustrating though.

Archived