NBC Sports Edge Forums

Dice-K is now Dice-BB

ssmarsh

he will keep at it. it's already... 10 starts?-ish into the season, and who cares if he walks a ton of guys... he gets out of it doesn't he? otherwise his ERA wouldn't be so low... quit nitpicking imo lol.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What are people doing with this guy? Sell high before his ERA catches up to his WHIP, or hold as he'll get it figured out?

I'm sticking with him as well. I like the fact that he hasn't been perfect but has been able to make up for his mistakes.

I'm in a casual Yahoo league that counts K:BB as a category, and also W-L, so I'm gonna wait 'til his upcoming string of easy matchups ends before I decide what to do with him. If he keeps up the walks, I'll probably sell.

he will keep at it. it's already... 10 starts?-ish into the season, and who cares if he walks a ton of guys... he gets out of it doesn't he? otherwise his ERA wouldn't be so low... quit nitpicking imo lol.

It's not nitpicking. Just because he has been getting out of these situations so far doesn't mean he'll continue to do so. The law of averages will catch up to him unless he improves his command. I think he can still straighten out his command issues, but I wanted to see what the general consensus was.

Everyone says that his BB ratios show that he's just getting lucky and he'll implode at any minute. Does anyone stop to think that maybe if his walks are such a problem, he would have a higher ERA by now? He walks 1 or 2 per inning and retires the rest...the other team doesnt get points for having runners stranded on base, do they?

And when he finally does have a bad game (as EVERY pitcher does eventually), everyone is going to flood into this thread and say "I told you so!!!"...even though they probably said that 5 or more games ago.

It's not nitpicking. Just because he has been getting out of these situations so far doesn't mean he'll continue to do so. The law of averages will catch up to him unless he improves his command. I think he can still straighten out his command issues, but I wanted to see what the general consensus was.

I dont think the 'law of averages' applies here. By your logic, Barry Zito should win his next 5 starts because he's lost so many this year, Volquez will give up 5 earned runs per game from here on out...Chipper Jones will bat .200 the rest of the way...etc etc

Well, the 'law of averages' can't really be used as a blanket statement here, but I understand his point. Matsuzaka's BABIP is .205, one of the lowest in the league this year. It is due for a rebound. His 2.10 ERA will not stand much longer. Has anybody finished with an ERA under 3.00, with a WHIP over 1.30?? I highly doubt it.

ESPN's Baseball Tonight had a nice analysis of him the other week.

Said the guy still has alot of "Japan" in him.

Mindset is to never give in, thats why he tends to knit-pick the strike zone instead a challenging the batter on 3 ball counts.

Think someone would tell him, lol

I dont think the 'law of averages' applies here. By your logic, Barry Zito should win his next 5 starts because he's lost so many this year, Volquez will give up 5 earned runs per game from here on out...Chipper Jones will bat .200 the rest of the way...etc etc

As someone else pointed out above, I'm not using a blanket statement of the law of averages. I understand that not every pitcher will end up 14-14 with a 4.20 ERA or whatever. I'm saying that by digging into the right statistics, you can determine whether or not a pitcher's ERA is sustainable. With Dice-K's low BABIP (which should be lower than average based on his plus stuff, but not as low as it is now), his strand rate, and his K:BB ratio, you can tell that his current ERA is indeed not sustainable. Fantasy baseball is somewhat like the stock market where you want to sell high and buy low, as I'm sure you're very aware of. Dice-K's ERA, Ws and Ks would make him worth a lot on the trade market right now, and it'd be a benefit to your team if you could avoid an ERA explosion by moving him elsewhere for a pitcher likely to pitch better from here on out.

The point of my posts is to facilitate a discussion, hopefully including the more pitcher-savvy posters on this board, to determine whether or not dealing Dice-K right now is a smart move.

what are going to sell him for? I mean all of his wins still count the same even if he walks people! I love the idea of selling high, but unless you are getting a TON for him, there is little point in selling IMHO as wins and k's just aren't that easy to find!

Have you guys seen him pitch? There are two ways to get away with a lot of walks. One is to walk the guys who are otherwise going to pound the ball, painting the corners and being extra careful not to serve up meatballs. The other is to just pitch sloppy. Dice-K IMO is much more of the latter than the former. I would be fine with all those walks if he was walking the most feared hitter, and working the corners expertly. But you can tell from his body language and the lack of rhythm in his pitching that he is just letting counts get away from him. If I owned him, selling high would be extremely appealing.

I thought the last run should have been unearned.....no?

1 out, then an error, then there was another out on the same play as when the run scored. So...there should have been a 3rd out made on the same play when the runner scored...I guess it has to do with whether the run scored before or after what would have been that 3rd out?

bah...at least no BBs so far!

1 out, then an error, then there was another out on the same play as when the run scored. So...there should have been a 3rd out made on the same play when the runner scored...I guess it has to do with whether the run scored before or after what would have been that 3rd out?

bah is right....i guess he needs to walk some in order to get the wins. who knew?

MLB.com has it as only 2 ER, so safe to ignore cbs or espn or wherever you saw the 3d run as earned.

He's got good enough stuff that I'd rather him give up 7 hits and no walks. The hits will normalize. The walks don't unless he keeps throwing strikes.

edit: Just hurt himself in during warmups. Not sure what happened. Don't think it was serious. Looked like a pulled muscle or something. He's out of the game.

Matsuzaka leaves the game with the training staff before starting the 5th inning. Possible injury to the right side of his torso. (oblique)?

dag-gon it...at least i have a plethora of arms to back him up.

any more updates are much appreciated ahead of time.

Archived