NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Alvin Kamara 2017 Outlook

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Lamont Sanford said:

But NO was able to adjust, make changes, and get production elsewhere  after Kamara’s  injury. They don’t have to just suck it up and play with 10 players.

:blink:  You do realize your playing FANTASY football.  

Edited by youngrice

11 minutes ago, Coachacola37 said:

Yep but somehow fantasy football has consolation games once playoffs start. Have yet to see the NFL run a season like that.

no need to, each team is making a ton of money, regardless of who wins the SB - we talkin' tons of money - ya dig?

does your magick foosball gig divvy up hundreds of millions amongst themselves each year, like the NFL does?

yeah, didn't think so ?

2 minutes ago, Lamont Sanford said:
10 minutes ago, Coachacola37 said:

Yep but somehow fantasy football has consolation games once playoffs start. Have yet to see the NFL run a season like that.

Say what?

Not sure how what I said wasn't clear but to expand it a bit. Yes, the idea of fantasy football is to more or less simulate games and a football season. When the regular season ends in the NFL, the teams that just missed out on wild card spots do not play some meaningless games for fun. Most fantasy football leagues have a consolation games during the playoffs. The NFL has never done so.

Just now, Lamont Sanford said:

Yes. A virtual game designed to simulate actual football games in which injured players are often replaced with backups.

Lol I give up.  Its called Fantasy football for a reason.  It is not simulating a virtual game.  You want a simulation go play madden.  

4 minutes ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

no need to, each team is making a ton of money, regardless of who wins the SB - we talkin' tons of money - ya dig?

does your magick foosball gig divvy up hundreds of millions amongst themselves each year, like the NFL does?

yeah, didn't think so ?

Hundreds of millions, no. Millions, yes.

3 minutes ago, youngrice said:

Lol I give up.  Its called Fantasy football for a reason.  It is not simulating a virtual game.  You want a simulation go play madden.  

No kidding.  If it were a simulation we wouldn't be getting points for yards.  Or more than 3 points for kicks at distance. 

Edited by iheartrubio

56 minutes ago, Coachacola37 said:

Not sure how what I said wasn't clear but to expand it a bit. Yes, the idea of fantasy football is to more or less simulate games and a football season. When the regular season ends in the NFL, the teams that just missed out on wild card spots do not play some meaningless games for fun. Most fantasy football leagues have a consolation games during the playoffs. The NFL has never done so.

Oh. Ok. Neither of my leagues have these “consolation games”.

2 minutes ago, Lamont Sanford said:

Oh. Ok. Neither of my leagues have these “consolation games”.

Nice. There was some talk in the game thread last night about how maybe a commish had subbed out Kamara late using commish tools because of his injury. Turned out it was just a player with a Gray's Sports Almanac 2000-2025 (joke) but if someone running one your leagues is willing to and your leaguemates agree, that could be the avenue to allowing late subs. 

1 hour ago, youngrice said:

Lol I give up.  Its called Fantasy football for a reason.    

You give up what exactly? Trying to convince me that your opinion of what does and doesn’t belong in fantasy football is the “correct” opinion? In that case, cool. 

I’m not trying to convince anyone that my suggestion of finding a way to involve backups to in-game injurues is the “correct” way to do things. It’s merely a suggestion that would improve fantasy football in my opinion. 

3 hours ago, Al.Davis said:

Feeling bad for all AK owners....BUT I must point out how quick some are to curse the bad luck of an early KO Week 14 and never mention the good luck of drafting him in round 15, or having waver wire priority to nab him early, or how your FAAB lottery ticket paid off.  

THERE IS LOTS OF LUCK IN FF....we just like to call it 'skill' when it happens to be good luck.

I don't fully agree. I drafted Kamara a solid few rounds above his ADP because I saw the talent and the way Saints would utilize him plus saw AP as a bum. Yes, him getting traded is luck but Kamara would still be very good either way. 

However, yes there is a ton of luck. I got the most points scored on me by a mile combined with drafting DJ, Robinson, and others. Yeah that's unlucky because you can't predict that at all.

I also think playoffs are pretty much 100% luck. One week is a shame to decide winners.

1 hour ago, Gohawks said:

I don't fully agree. I drafted Kamara a solid few rounds above his ADP because I saw the talent and the way Saints would utilize him plus saw AP as a bum. Yes, him getting traded is luck but Kamara would still be very good either way. 

However, yes there is a ton of luck. I got the most points scored on me by a mile combined with drafting DJ, Robinson, and others. Yeah that's unlucky because you can't predict that at all.

I also think playoffs are pretty much 100% luck. One week is a shame to decide winners.

^WISE WORDS^

3 hours ago, Coachacola37 said:

Wrong:

http://mentalfloss.com/article/54808/nfl-used-play-third-place-game-losers-bowl-losers

12 minutes ago, bendover said:

Interesting piece of NFL history...

So “the s--- bowl” sounds like it was replaced with the ProBowl, minus the losers...

Actually, the players in the ProBowl are only there because their teams failed to advance.

”Loser Bowl” lives!

22 minutes ago, bendover said:
4 hours ago, Coachacola37 said:

Wrong:

http://mentalfloss.com/article/54808/nfl-used-play-third-place-game-losers-bowl-losers

I stand corrected. Of course now I'm torn. Do I call consolation games "pitiful", "hinky-dink", or "the s--- bowl"?

4 hours ago, Anteater99 said:

Vegas doesn't give you your bet back when a player from the team you bet on gets injured mid-game. This is part of the luck of fantasy football. Making a workaround for it is totally impractical. Dealwithit.gif

sn1RMvs.gif

7 hours ago, Gohawks said:

So a big money league i am in there are no said playoffs. Week 17 you play the team closest to you in the standings. Regardless of the outcomes best record wins the league point totals being the tie breaker. Takes the 2 week luck out of a 16 or 17 week season.

8 hours ago, Anteater99 said:

Vegas doesn't give you your bet back when a player from the team you bet on gets injured mid-game. This is part of the luck of fantasy football. Making a workaround for it is totally impractical. Dealwithit.gif

That’s your opinion, to which you’re certainly entitled. I disagree, and don’t see any relevance whatsoever to Vegas betting rules other than both things involve football. 

Yes, injuries are part of the luck factor involved in fantasy football. That’s the whole point. Many of us believe the more we can reduce the role luck plays the more enjoyable and rewarding fantasy football would be. Spending an entire season, (and offseason for some of us) following players, making trades, prioritizing faab additions, analyzing schedules, building a deep bench, etc only to have your season abruptly end because one of your best players gets injured early in a playoff game ruins the whole experience in my opinion, and makes the whole thing feel like an utter waste of time. I’ve been playing fantasy football since we had to scour the USA Today for stats, so my opinion is based on many years playing this game. It’s not a knee-jerk reaction to Kamara’s injury. 

Maybe you haven’t been playing fantasy long enough to have a season, or multiple seasons, ruined by a poorly timed injury. Personally, I’ve seen it happen to mysef, and others, enough times to realize it’s a fatal flaw in what most of us would like to be a highly competitive and strategic game where experience, knowledge, and effort are rewarded, rather than a random game of luck where entirely unpredictable injuries are a deciding factor.

PPR, flex players, IDP, 2 QB leagues, etc were all out-of-the-box ideas at one point. I remember thinking PPR was a bad idea, now it’s my system of choice. Perhaps the suggestions made in this thread to address dealing with injuries in fantasy football haven’t been well thought out enough to be practically implemented, but there’s not a doubt in my mind that a solution of some kind is possible and mitigating in-game injuries in some fashion to reduce their impact would be a huge improvement in the overall enjoyment of fantasy football. 

I understand some people like the game the way it is and would prefer to just “deal with it” when it comes to injuries. I guess I just prefer games that are won and lost based on merit as opposed to luck as much as possible. Others would rather just take turns rolling the dice I guess. Neither is right or wrong, just different views on the type of game we want fantasy football to be. 

Both sides of this issue make sense to me.

On one hand it's the status quo to not be able to put a backup in when a player gets injured, and all teams are subject to the same rules. What hurts you one week could help you the next, that's where the element of luck is. Do you lose your kicker in week 1 or do you lose Kamara on the 1st drive of the 1st playoff round? 

Having a backup in the event of injury more closely mirrors an actual NFL game, it just brings up a lot of questions as to how it works.

1. The backup would have to be selected before rosters locking at game time.

2. Does the backup start accruing points when the starter comes off the field, or once the starter has been ruled questionable/doubtful to return to the game?

3. Does this backup apply to players ejected (Crabtree, Evans, AJ Green)?

4. Would every roster spot have a backup available, or would you just have one backup for each position? 

I think the backup idea is intriguing because it would really introduce new elements to roster construction and game day decision making. Sounds fun!

the closest we come to "injury replacement" is put into effect only in the playoffs - we allow the higher seeded team in each match up to designate one "best ball" replacement from RB/TE/WR/Flex positions.

works like this: prior to the games starting, the higher seeded team must post to the league message board his 'mulligan' plan; something like this "i am starting Mike Davis vs Jax, but my best ball replacement will be Kerwyn Williams vs Titans"  - now, if Williams outscores Davis, then the team gets to retroactively insert him into the lineup.   again, only for playoffs, only for higher seed ... we do this to put a bit more weight behind the regular season.  been doing it for the past 5 seasons in that one league, and only two games have been effected. 

39 minutes ago, Mr.STD said:

Both sides of this issue make sense to me.

On one hand it's the status quo to not be able to put a backup in when a player gets injured, and all teams are subject to the same rules. What hurts you one week could help you the next, that's where the element of luck is. Do you lose your kicker in week 1 or do you lose Kamara on the 1st drive of the 1st playoff round? 

Having a backup in the event of injury more closely mirrors an actual NFL game, it just brings up a lot of questions as to how it works.

1. The backup would have to be selected before rosters locking at game time.

2. Does the backup start accruing points when the starter comes off the field, or once the starter has been ruled questionable/doubtful to return to the game?

3. Does this backup apply to players ejected (Crabtree, Evans, AJ Green)?

4. Would every roster spot have a backup available, or would you just have one backup for each position? 

I think the backup idea is intriguing because it would really introduce new elements to roster construction and game day decision making. Sounds fun!

So far, the best system I can think of is this:

This system would have to be implemented and automated via the league host. This isn’t something that could be practically implemented in-league.

The players on your bench are your available backups. QB, RB, WR, TE, K. How you choose to roster your bench is up to you as always. This system would an an interesting new strategic element to how our rosters are comprised. 

In the same manner we currently set our lineups we would set and prioritize our backups (QB2/3, RB 3/4/5, WR 3/4/5/6 TE2 etc) using the same time restraints/roster locks as currently exist. Prior to kickoff for players on THU, SUN, MON, etc. It’s highly unlikely you would ever see your QB3, RB5, or WR6 enter a game, but to cover as many potential scenarios as possible, why not just prioritize them all. We already do so mentally.

In the event one of your starters is officially declared out due to injury, your prioritized backup next in line begins accruing points at the start of the next quarter. If your starting RB2 is officially declared out midway through the 1st quarter, your RB3 automatically begins accruing points when the 2nd quarter begins. This way, you still take a realistic hit due to the injury by getting no production from one of your better players for X amount of time,  but you mitigate the impact by having a backup player step in and contribute the following quarter.

Personally, I would not allow backups for ejected players, since being ejected is a direct result of that players poor decisions/actions, as opposed to an injury which is no fault of the player. But including ejections in this system could be a league decision. 

This system shouldn’t be difficult to implement for someone like CBS, ESPN, etc. It mitigates the luck factor and impact of injuries, and also rewards those with well constructed rosters top to bottom. 

If your QB is knocked out with a concussion on the first drive you take a significant hit,  but you still have a chance when your backup comes in at the 2nd quarter. Having quality backups at every position now becomes important, which would lead to better RBs, and WRs on the waiver wire since most teams would roster at least 2 QBs and TEs as opposed to one. 

Edited by Lamont Sanford

11 minutes ago, joshua18 said:

Things happen in FFL and you have to adjust. Frankly, no one really cares until it happens to THEIR team. Injuries happen, and it's the downside of building a team so reliant on one player...if he goes down, so does your season. 

How exactly do you adjust yo your starting QB getting knoocked out of your playoff game on the first series? Or are you just so awesome at fantasy football that your teams are so stacked you can win without a QB?

Edited by Lamont Sanford

• tonycpsu changed the title to Alvin Kamara 2017 Outlook
  • phatrat locked this topic