NBC Sports Edge Forums

Alvin Kamara 2017 Outlook

16 minutes ago, milesberg said:

Question is do you hold in Dynasty or sell super high?

Tough call.  Will he always be this good or will more touches (inevitable) slow him down in the future?

Because right now he seems be the #1 asset in all of Dynasty. 

What's your outlook on the saints offense and his role?  that's usually the way I start to approach the value proposition.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, dashoe said:

What's your outlook on the saints offense and his role?  that's usually the way I start to approach the value proposition.

Most important thing for his value is that Sean Payton saved his coaching job.  I have already turned down very tempting offers in dynasty (L. Bell type offers . . .).  It would take a ton to pry Kamara away from me.

23 minutes ago, milesberg said:

Tough call.  Will he always be this good or will more touches (inevitable) slow him down in the future?

I don't have Kamara in my keeper league, but I think you have to hold unless you get an offer that blows you away. The sky truly is the limit for him. As is, he was already the #2-ranked RB (behind Gurley) even while splitting time with Ingram. 

8 minutes ago, milesberg said:

I want to hold too.  But if I could land DeAndre Hopkins, I think I would do it.  Probably the only player for player trade I would make.  I am 1 pt full PPR.  Just seems easier to find RBs than WRs.

As impressive as Hopkins is, I would personally stick with Kamara (but I can understand you wanting to make that move as well, as a full season for Hopkins with Watson could be insane). 

1 hour ago, milesberg said:

It is a tough call. Jamaal Charles was able to sustain his ridiculous efficiency until injuries ruined him. I think he still holds the career record for YPC (there is a minimum # of carries to be eligible). Barring injury can Kamara be the next JC? Kamara was even more efficient than JC as he did it on less touches and shared the backfield with another 1500 from scrimmage rusher. That kind of efficiency is unlikely to be repeatable year in and year out. But if Kamara were to get more touches I think he can sustain his level of fantasy scoring.

28 minutes ago, Corleone said:

As impressive as Hopkins is, I would personally stick with Kamara (but I can understand you wanting to make that move as well, as a full season for Hopkins with Watson could be insane). 

I can agree however only problem I have with Hopkins is he is game script and volume dependent(catchup mode/garbage time) whereas kamara is game script proof and doesnt need a ton of volume to get his points. If HOU ever solves their running game and the def gets healthy they will need less hopkins production whereas the saints are very balanced and the def should only improve and kamara will still get his 10-15 touches a game whether they are carries or targets.

Through one year, Kamara's career is a direct mirror of Chris Johnson's in my eyes. This will start to differ in year two if LenDale White....I mean Mark Ingram, sticks around. That said, I traded CJ a few months into his 3rd year (in dynasty) for Jamal Charles, Calvin Johnson, and a 1st round rookie pick and obviously never looked back. Point being, I absolutely love him right now but if you can land a king's ransom for Kamara at this point, I think it's the safe bet. Fantasy owners always tend to forget it but RB production is so, so incredibly fluid in this league. 

To clarify...I wouldn't trade him just to trade him, but if I could get a package similar to the one mentioned above....I wouldn't think twice. 

Edited by SenatorSpaceman

I think you almost have to keep Kamara for at least another year.

Brees is close enough to a couple of NFL records--and probably wants to stay ahead of Brady regardless--that he's almost assured not to retire after this year unless the Saints win it all and he chooses to go out on a high note without a few records.

I think as long as you have Sean Payton and Drew Brees, there's no reason to think Kamara's usage will change. 

On 1/1/2018 at 5:07 PM, SenatorSpaceman said:

Through one year, Kamara's career is a direct mirror of Chris Johnson's in my eyes. This will start to differ in year two if LenDale White....I mean Mark Ingram, sticks around. That said, I traded CJ a few months into his 3rd year (in dynasty) for Jamal Charles, Calvin Johnson, and a 1st round rookie pick and obviously never looked back. Point being, I absolutely love him right now but if you can land a king's ransom for Kamara at this point, I think it's the safe bet. Fantasy owners always tend to forget it but RB production is so, so incredibly fluid in this league. 

To clarify...I wouldn't trade him just to trade him, but if I could get a package similar to the one mentioned above....I wouldn't think twice. 

I wouldn't trade Kamara for jamaal and Calvin, one is retired and one is close, that's trading for past production

On 1/1/2018 at 6:07 PM, SenatorSpaceman said:

Lenwhale was not even half the player that Mark Ingram currently is.

On 1/1/2018 at 4:18 PM, milesberg said:

To me it depends on how good the rest of your team is.  If you won your league or at least got close and you roster is in good shape just hold.  If your team wasn't competitive with Kamara I would take this opportunity to trade him and upgrade 2-3 positions.

Edited by Millertime81

Fantasy impact

"This is awful. You have Mark Ingram. You sign, for some reason, Adrian Peterson. And now you draft Alvin Kamara. Why? Kamara may work on passing downs after he had 74 catches the past two seasons for Tennessee, but Ingram had 96 catches the past two years and has proven he can pass protect. Kamara is a late-round flier at best in seasonal leagues, and he's a third-round pick at best in rookie-only leagues." - Jamey Eisenberg

I love fantasy 'experts'  :lol:

Give Payton the credit for quickly cutting AP instead of holding on to him  and featuring kamara

Edited by dashoe
29 minutes ago, dashoe said:

I love fantasy 'experts'  :lol:

Give Payton the credit for quickly cutting AP instead of holding on to him  and featuring kamara

If you had a guy looking at you like this, you'd trade him too.

adrian-peterson-sean-payton.jpg

Edited by RustyMiller

The worst part of my fantasy season was talking to one of my friends in the league in week 2, and he's like, "I need another RB, what do you think of that Kamara guy, he's just sitting on waivers? " and I tell him, "he looks decent but I'm not sure how much an impact he's gonna have". And then the rest of the season happened. Ouch.

I think no matter what outcome Brees is not going to hang it up now. Especially when the Saints finally have an excellent all-around team. Brees should be able to perform at a high level for another 2-3 years, and with this lineup, including Kamara, why wouldn't he want to stay? He's in good shape and loves the game.

I do hope they resign Ingram though, and if not him some other bruiser type running back. I'm not sure Kamara would be as effective if he was the every down back. The tandem thing they got going on is to both of their benefits.

As a Kamara dynasty owner I'm bullish on his longevity. Unless they decide to cut Ingram and make him the lead back, which would be foolish, he should be spared the wear and tear a lead back has to endure.

Edited by Naboo
1 hour ago, Naboo said:

As a Kamara dynasty owner I'm bullish on his longevity. Unless they decide to cut Ingram and make him the lead back, which would be foolish, he should be spared the wear and tear a lead back has to endure.

The problem is expecting the same level of efficiency next season on a similar amount of touches. It was ridiculously, unsustainably, high this season. This isn't as much of an issue in keeper/dynasty, but in redraft I expect him to be overvalued. Unless he does receive more touches next season. He certainly warrants more touches.

6 minutes ago, devaster said:

The problem is expecting the same level of efficiency next season on a similar amount of touches. It was ridiculously, unsustainably, high this season. This isn't as much of an issue in keeper/dynasty, but in redraft I expect him to be overvalued. Unless he does receive more touches next season. He certainly warrants more touches.

Many have said for the entire season his efficency is unsustainable and every week he has proven that view to be the wrong one. The guy makes big plays and i'm not sure i would want to bet against him not making big plays if he stays in a good situation and has opportunity. 

• tonycpsu changed the title to Alvin Kamara 2017 Outlook
  • phatrat locked this topic