NBC Sports EDGE Forums

2017 Cool Story, Bro Thread

tucker26

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last year in my 12-team/2-keeper/H2H/6x6 I made it to the championship game as the "away" team and tied 6-6 while tying in 3 different categories, and so I came in 2nd place because ties go to the home team. And now I have to choose 2 keepers from Machado (obvious keeper), Story, T. Turner, Sale, and Votto, with little hope of putting that kind of a team back together on draft day. :unsure:

5 hours ago, tucker26 said:

I traded Alex Reyes/Kyle Schwarber for Alex Bregman/Jake Lamb in a dynasty two weeks ago. 

tumblr_lzf9hvAWBM1qhjbxeo1_400.gif

Isn't that basically a wash? I prefer schwarber to bregman and Reyes to Jake lamb as dynasty assets. It's just that Reyes is injured, making it a wash

6 hours ago, tucker26 said:

I traded Alex Reyes/Kyle Schwarber for Alex Bregman/Jake Lamb in a dynasty two weeks ago. 

tumblr_lzf9hvAWBM1qhjbxeo1_400.gif

I agree with the other poster -- that was a terrible trade two weeks ago, and maybe barely even now.  Schwarber >> Bregman in most worlds, and Reyes for Lamb was reasonably fair.  Now that Reyes is out for 1-2 years, it's probably a fair deal -- but only if Bregman reaches his potential.

Traded Michael Wacha, in a keeper league, in late June of 2015, (2.93 ERA and 10-3 at that point) for Corey Seager who was possibly "going to get called up soon." Live in OKC, Seager was fun to watch at AAA. Seager didn't get called up until Sept. and he raked! Wacha totally imploded, and I have Seager "FOR-EV-ER! FOR-EV-ER! FOR-EV-ER!"

Won championship in my 8 team three keepers last year (one must be pitcher)

traded 1-3 round picks for Max

fourth for Villar and Segura

not picking until round 5.......no ones ever repeated in 10 years of this league

Harper and Max are locks to be back....Correa or Trea Turner third keeper...leaning Carlos

no idea what draft strategy to use in round 5....25 min minimum per week h2h

any advice?

4 hours ago, Ben Edelman said:

I agree with the other poster -- that was a terrible trade two weeks ago, and maybe barely even now.  Schwarber >> Bregman in most worlds, and Reyes for Lamb was reasonably fair.  Now that Reyes is out for 1-2 years, it's probably a fair deal -- but only if Bregman reaches his potential.

Maybe. Schwarber has superstar potential still but his underlining stats show he may take awhile to arrive there statistically. His hype is bigger than his reality currently IMO (and well deserved with is post season heroics). On the other hand, Bregman might be the opposite. The guy struggled when first called and then played at the level he was at when he was fast-tracking through the minors the rest of the season. People are downplaying Bregman cause his long slump (hello first impressions) but up playing Schwarber and ignoring key factors (hello horrible k-rate and platoon split) that are worrisome, which makes no sense. Nothing explains Schwarber's struggles but at least there is substance on Bregman you can point to and say that he struggled upon his call up and then figured it out. And Jake Lamb, which I know is a roll of the dice, well at least you can point to an incident where he hurt then struggled the rest of the year. It is easy to jump out say that's a terrible trade when you see the names, but I will tell you the people in my league were the ones giving me kudos on making the deal. Before the injury, Reyes appeared to have control issues that were masked by short pitch counts and relief appearances. Danny Salazar comes to mind. Can the control issues be fixed? Sure, but now it's going to be a even longer while and control issues usually aren't a minor/quick adjustment fix type of thing. Neither is K rate on Schwarbs. The only thing I can say is that these are all small samples except Reyes' control issues. 

Edited by tucker26

2 minutes ago, tucker26 said:

Maybe. Schwarber has superstar potential still but his underlining stats show he may take awhile to arrive there statistically. His hype is bigger than his reality currently IMO (and well deserved with is post season heroics). On the other hand, Bregman might be the opposite. The guy struggled when first called and played the level he was when he was fast-tracking through the minors. People are downplaying Bregman cause his long slump (hello first impressions) but up playing Schwarber and ignoring key factors (hello horrible k-rate and platoon split) that are worrisome, which makes no sense. Nothing explains Schwarber's struggles but at least there is substance on Bregman you can point to and say that he struggled upon his call up and then figured it out. And Jake Lamb, which I know is a roll of the dice, well at least you can point to an incident where he hurt then struggled the rest of the year. It is easy to jump out say that's a terrible trade when you see the names, but I will tell you the people in my league were the ones giving me kudos on making the deal. Before the injury, Reyes appeared to have control issues that were masked by short pitch counts and relief appearances. Danny Salazar comes to mind. Can the control issues be fixed? Sure, but now it's going to be a even longer while and control issues usually aren't a minor/quick adjustment fix type of thing. Neither is K rate on Schwarbs. The only thing I can say is that these are all small samples except Reyes' control issues. 

Schwarber is still my favorite player in that deal.   But if either of Bregman or Lamb give you 85% of Schwarber that's a clear win. 

The Salazar Reyes comp is a good one. 

So damn excited for the 2017 Season!

I'm going for a Three Peat and my 4th title in 5 years in a competitive 10-team, 3 keeper league and I get to start the season with 3 absolute studs in Paul Goldschmidt, Kris Bryant and Mookie Betts!!!

13 hours ago, Ben Edelman said:

I'm a Cubs fan and love Schwarber but I think you're underselling how special Bregman can be too.

15 minutes ago, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

how many years now have you been dominating your league with the neighborhood 8 year olds?

28 minutes ago, 89Topps said:

Jeezus.  Does the other guy know it's a dynasty?  That's probably vetoable in a dynasty.

Hindsight is 20/20, got to remember at the time was #11 prospect in baseball, and Schoop was set for a breakout season (which it was).  Imagine trading Max Kepler, or Wilson Conteras for Austin Meadows or Ozzie Albies +pick right now. 

I got tons of offers last year for my Lucas Giolto that I turned down, now people aren't interested after his rocky debut.

43 minutes ago, Justinrlstn said:

Hindsight is 20/20, got to remember at the time was #11 prospect in baseball, and Schoop was set for a breakout season (which it was).  Imagine trading Max Kepler, or Wilson Conteras for Austin Meadows or Ozzie Albies +pick right now. 

I got tons of offers last year for my Lucas Giolto that I turned down, now people aren't interested after his rocky debut.

Meh, depends on how much you value power against glaring weaknesses to have seen Schoop as a true "breakout" both prior to or after 2016. 

1 hour ago, Justinrlstn said:

I guess.  To me, that looks more like you trading the next Aaron Hill for the next Jose Reyes.

7 minutes ago, taobball said:

Meh, depends on how much you value power against glaring weaknesses to have seen Schoop as a true "breakout" both prior to or after 2016. 

20 team dynasty league with an extra roster spot for IF; a 25yr old hitting 82/25/82 has good value. Not to mention he was hitting 305 49/14/52 at all star break.

• tonycpsu changed the title to 2017 Cool Story, Bro Thread