NBC Sports Edge Forums

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 hours ago, cdd10 said:

nick franklin is the #1 comparable player on baseball prospectus

RANT.... 

It seems like every prospect sucks on their website. His pre season "PECOTA" projections was garbage. 

So was Cody Bellinger, Aaron Judge, and Michael Conforto. And so was every prospect that has every came through the minor league system. Pecota will always rank them laughably very low. And their comparable player model is always terrible too. 

Just look at Aaron Judge's "Comparable player". According to Prospectus Aaron Judge is more comparable to Jabari Bush. 

If these guys are so terrible according to PECOTA why would anybody waste their time picking them up? All their articles about how great these guys are and then you look at their projected stats and PECOTA and comparable players and you end up with a WTF look on your face. 

RANT over

I just ignore the comparable player, PECTOA and stat projection on minor leaguers because it's wrong most of the time. It takes a few years of data for PECOTA, comparable players and the pre season projections to be useful IMO

This guy is an elite prospect more for defense than outstanding offense. Fantasy wise, you can hope for high average and occasional steals but I don't think he will give much else at this point. In a few years I think he can get stronger and provide more power, but he hasn't shown much power at all in the minors. 7 HR in the PCL. Elvis Andrus is probably a solid comp with a bit less speed, better defense. Andrus had ability to develop power (which is finally coming this year). Hopefully starts a little earlier for Rosario.

Edited by Sidearmer

I picked him up because I had an extra spot when someone went on the DL, and he won't be starting for me. But he was hitting in Vegas, so how much he'll contribute to a fantasy team right now is a question mark. Worth a flyer.

2 hours ago, Cdub2k said:

RANT.... 

It seems like every prospect sucks on their website. His pre season "PECOTA" projections was garbage. 

So was Cody Bellinger, Aaron Judge, and Michael Conforto. And so was every prospect that has every came through the minor league system. Pecota will always rank them laughably very low. And their comparable player model is always terrible too. 

Just look at Aaron Judge's "Comparable player". According to Prospectus Aaron Judge is more comparable to Jabari Bush. 

If these guys are so terrible according to PECOTA why would anybody waste their time picking them up? All their articles about how great these guys are and then you look at their projected stats and PECOTA and comparable players and you end up with a WTF look on your face. 

RANT over

I just ignore the comparable player, PECTOA and stat projection on minor leaguers because it's wrong most of the time. It takes a few years of data for PECOTA, comparable players and the pre season projections to be useful IMO

i know lol i did see that lindor was an 86 on there.  i didn't really get why nick franklin was #1 either

Since the day he signed for a then-Mets international record $1.75 million signing bonus, Rosario has been a step ahead of his peers. He’s the rare shortstop who can impact the game both with his glove and his bat. Defensively he has plus range, quick hands and excellent anticipation. His has plus arm strength but his accuracy does sometimes waver, something that should improve as he matures.

At the plate, Rosario is a top-of-the-order hitter with excellent contact skills. Since the beginning of last year, he’s proven himself to be a plus hitter thanks to strong wrists and bat speed. His power is his weakest attribute. He can pull the ball over the fence at times, but it’s not really his game. Rosario is better as a top-of-the-order table setter who posts high on-base percentages thanks largely to high batting averages. His plus speed plays well on the basepaths and makes him a threat to swipe 10-15 bases a year.

WHAT TO EXPECT

Francisco Lindor’s power has taken off as a big leaguer. Rosario projects as a similar defender and similar hitter, although he’s more likely to hit five to 10 home runs a year rather than the 15-plus Lindor provides. His combination of defense and hitting ability makes him a potential 4+ WAR player.

For fantasy purposes, expect Rosaro to be a .280-plus hitter with 10-20 steals and modest power. He’ll score plenty of runs but is unlikely to be much of an RBI producer because he’s not a middle-of-the-order hitter.

Read more at http://www.baseballamerica.com/majors/expect-amed-rosario/#QVizlVzyHBZmA2Iy.99

He does not have a great approach at the plate from when I've seen.  He's been swinging at almost everything and tends to always swing first pitch.  Arenado probably should have had his "triple" that he hit today as well lol but i'll take it.

Just now, benturn22 said:

He does not have a great approach at the plate from when I've seen.  He's been swinging at almost everything and tends to always swing first pitch.  Arenado probably should have had his "triple" that he hit today as well lol but i'll take it.

I like how scorer called that a triple but the ball that was scorched by Granderson the at bat before was an error

3 minutes ago, benturn22 said:

from what i saw first game, he didn't swing at everything. he took both first pitches from the AB's i saw. 

i saw his first AB tonight--he watched a strike down the pipe and then flailed wildly at the next two pitches in the dirt.  ive never seen a single minor league AB so im not sure of his approach, but i can only imagine it's just jitters.

46 minutes ago, XxxOilOverloadxxX said:

I like how scorer called that a triple but the ball that was scorched by Granderson the at bat before was an error

Wasn't it called a triple because of fan interference? For Granderson no idea but some player must have got a glove on it. Rosario the Mets announcers said he was already past first when the fan touched the ball this the extra two bases. 

2 minutes ago, Low and Away said:

Wasn't it called a triple because of fan interference? For Granderson no idea but some player must have got a glove on it. Rosario the Mets announcers said he was already past first when the fan touched the ball this the extra two bases. 

the ball bounced over Arenados glove it's a ball he gets 95/100 times

Grandersons was hit definitely a 100 mph plus bounced off Reynolds glove down line

in his 19 AB he has batted out of the 7 spot. tonight he is batting 8th, and that is without Bruce in the lineup.

he didn't really have K% concern in the minors. 15.8% this year, 21.5% and 12.4% last year. but so far an alarming 42.1 K% right now.

-

Edited by SpecialFNK
5 minutes ago, crotchcrickets said:

i feel dirty for lending creedance to the mets, but perhaps they had good reason to keep him down for so long.

he's awful.

if we were close I'd fake a high five and kick you in the junk.