NBC Sports Edge Forums

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know I might get punched in the balls, but after today's game, Rosario needs to be sat for a game or two at the very least.  You don't take your good ole time making a play when you have one of the fastest guys in the league running to first, and he's still fairly fugly at the plate.

I was one of the people giving the Mets crap on here over the course of the season, and this might result in a second punch to the balls, but maybe he really wasn't ready.  He sure isn't mentally.  It is true that he had little left to prove in AAA, but they have to sit him down and get his head on straight or something.

• 3 months later...
On 8/1/2017 at 9:27 AM, Cdub2k said:

RANT.... 

It seems like every prospect sucks on their website. His pre season "PECOTA" projections was garbage. 

So was Cody Bellinger, Aaron Judge, and Michael Conforto. And so was every prospect that has every came through the minor league system. Pecota will always rank them laughably very low. And their comparable player model is always terrible too. 

Just look at Aaron Judge's "Comparable player". According to Prospectus Aaron Judge is more comparable to Jabari Bush. 

If these guys are so terrible according to PECOTA why would anybody waste their time picking them up? All their articles about how great these guys are and then you look at their projected stats and PECOTA and comparable players and you end up with a WTF look on your face. 

RANT over

I just ignore the comparable player, PECTOA and stat projection on minor leaguers because it's wrong most of the time. It takes a few years of data for PECOTA, comparable players and the pre season projections to be useful IMO

You guys don't understand how their comps work.

2 hours ago, Cdub2k said:

explain it.

The comparisons are based on comparing that player with another player of the exact same age. 

So Mike Trout's comp in his debut year when he was crappy was another guy in history that was the same age with similarly bad stats. The comparison isn't a projection 

2 hours ago, 2ndCitySox said:

The comparisons are based on comparing that player with another player of the exact same age. 

So Mike Trout's comp in his debut year when he was crappy was another guy in history that was the same age with similarly bad stats. The comparison isn't a projection 

Then why do they even bother using something like that since it doesn't mean anything?  I mean totally nada.

Fangraphs does the same thing when they do their team zips projection articles. 

I agree the data isn't super meaningful, at least when a player is very young, or very old. But the comps are a lot more on point during a players good years.