NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Steve Bartman 2017 Outlook

machine3

You cannot handle what he went through with more class and dignity. I can't imagine what he went through (e.g., public shaming, death threats, etc.). That statement was the only time I have heard of him ever addressing the matter. It probably will be the last time he makes a public statement.

It's likely that he would never do it, but he should make an appearance to throw out a first pitch or sing take me out to the ball game. The ovation he would get would be insane.

Kudos to the Cubs organization for trying to make amens. 

One moment and a life changing moment at that.   I can't imagine what he went through.  His life, I'm sure, has never been the same.  Even all these years later, he lives with it.  Ring aside, I wish the Cubs had done something years ago to ease the shame and pain that he no doubt went through.  It could have been any of us there that day.  Hope you are in a good place Steve.

Maybe he'll sell it and use the proceeds to pay for laser eye surgery.

All kidding aside, I'm happy for the guy.  Now that they Cubs have won, it would be interesting to see him appear somewhere and get a standing ovation, or even throw out a first pitch.  I know it'll never happen (and from his novel-length statement, he doesn't want anything remotely like this), but it would be cool.

22 minutes ago, Dylanfan66 said:

Good for the Cubs.  But he can never sell the ring.  No one that got a ring from the Cubs can sell it.  They all signed a legal contract not to do so.

Maybe he should give it to Cooperstown for free.

20 minutes ago, JCD said:

Maybe he should give it to Cooperstown for free.

I can easily see him doing something like based off of his character. He doesn't like the fame or headlines he's just a guy who really would rather be private and be normal. He seems like a really smart guy. You can tell he's still salty about what happened. He'll probably never step foot in Wrigley Field. I don't even think he is a Cubs fan anymore and who can blame him the way he was treated with death threats and the media circus that ensued and everything else. I wouldn't be a Cubs fan either. 

2 minutes ago, Cdub2k said:

I can easily see him doing something like based off of his character. He doesn't like the fame or headlines he's just a guy who really would rather be private and be normal. He seems like a really smart guy. You can tell he's still salty about what happened. He'll probably never step foot in Wrigley Field. I don't even think he is a Cubs fan anymore and who can blame him the way he was treated with death threats and the media circus that ensued and everything else. I wouldn't be a Cubs fan either. 

He has supposedly been to Wrigley many times since. He is a Cubs fan still. 

2 hours ago, Dylanfan66 said:

Good for the Cubs.  But he can never sell the ring.  No one that got a ring from the Cubs can sell it.  They all signed a legal contract not to do so.

I'd be interested to read that contract.  You give a gift that you can't re-sell?  You would think the clause should be that there should be a right of first opportunity to sell it back to the organization first.

Edited by BigPapi44

He should be able to sell it. "Here Steve, sorry your life has been ruined and completely turned upside down for over a decade but we'd like to present you with a ring that has now been rendered worthless besides any sentimental value you may get from having it." I never thought too much about the situation but the more I do the more I wish Cleveland would've been able to close out the series. You really don't deserve any joy from sports if you're going to take time out of your day to threaten someone's life over it, whether you mean it or not.

Am i the only one that thinks giving him a ring is ridiculous. That ring is for the hard work of an organization and should only be given to those that contributed to the winning of the World Series. I think the Cubs should do something for the guy, but giving him a World Series ring seems very weird to me. How bout season tickets for life? I'd rather have that than some ring I didn't earn.