NBC Sports Edge Forums

August Closer Thread 2017

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, KilloWertz said:

And there goes Claudio's stats for the night after they brought him out yet again.  Joy...

Do they not have anyone else in the bullpen? I don't understand why they threw him back out there again. 

1 minute ago, HaloFanatic17 said:

Do they not have anyone else in the bullpen? I don't understand why they threw him back out there again. 

He had only thrown 12 pitches and was left in to face Gamel and Cano (I suppose), but obviously that turned out to be a bad call.

1 minute ago, KilloWertz said:

He had only thrown 12 pitches and was left in to face Gamel and Cano (I suppose), but obviously that turned out to be a bad call.

True, the balk and error didn't help his cause. Also he had 3 intentional walks. Not great for ratios. 

2 minutes ago, HaloFanatic17 said:

True, the balk and error didn't help his cause. Also he had 3 intentional walks. Not great for ratios. 

The balk pretty much killed the inning.  He probably would have pitched for the double play then, but oh well I guess.

I'm actually thinking about cutting bait even though it was just one bad game since they never get save opps anyways.

20 minutes ago, Pap said:

That was a bit strange, Claudio going for a 8-out save.

why did they put their closer in during the 7th?  was the pen depleted from the miami game still lol?  it seems Claudio got screwed on 2 balk calls.

8 hours ago, WaKe21334 said:

Give the job to Kela, he fits the typical closer profile.

Could they honestly still be holding his little club house issue in spring training against him?...

3 hours ago, Pap said:

That was a bit strange, Claudio going for a 8-out save.

So was this post.   Considering it wasn't a save op.   Score was tied

3 hours ago, STLSU said:

why did they put their closer in during the 7th?  was the pen depleted from the miami game still lol?  it seems Claudio got screwed on 2 balk calls.

The one I saw was a balk without question. If that is his normal stretch delivery he is going to have a lot more called on him since just one umpire called it correctly. The rest will follow.

Who is going to hold on to the Minny Closer mess? If you were lucky enough to grab one or even two to the Minny candidates are you going to ride it out? Or send it back to the wire for some other manager to deal with?

5 minutes ago, octapuss said:

Who is going to hold on to the Minny Closer mess? If you were lucky enough to grab one or even two to the Minny candidates are you going to ride it out? Or send it back to the wire for some other manager to deal with?

I'm holding Kintzler in hopes he ends up closing in Washington over taking a stab at a guy like Belisle or Rogers, personally.

Changes the past few weeks.  A  few bullpens look like they could be a mess...

Out:

Reed

Jim Johnson

Justin Wilson

Oh

Brach

Robertson

Maurer

In:

Shane Greene

Treinen

Rosenthal

AJ Ramos (out then back in)

Brad Ziegler

Britton

Clippard

Claudio

Vizcaino

Hand

Watching closely:  Bud Norris

TBD

Nats:  Doolittle/Knitzler

Twins:  Rodgers/Belisle/Hildenberger

Melancon set to return soon

23 minutes ago, octapuss said:

Lucky enough? I think it will probably be the opposite of luck if owners went out and grabbed any of the Minnesota candidates. I'm not touching that. Maybe I'll regret it later, but I don't believe so. Though, if I was willing to take a chance on any of them, it would be Hildenberger, imho. But I'm not sure if Minnesota wants to put that on him just yet. 

Edited by Flyman75
9 minutes ago, jdbob11 said:

ESPN has Belisle listed as closer.  I guess Im going to target him.

This is a tough one. You have the righty veteran, Belisle, who has been pitching extremely well of late The lefty, Rogers, who has been the most consistent over the course of the year and who has pitched primarily in the 8th, but who has been real bad as of late. Then you have the rookie righty(Hildenberger), who has a closing pedigree and has been very good since his call up. Any Twins fans want to way in on this one.

• JFS179 locked this topic