Jump to content
NBC Sports Edge Forums

August Closer Thread 2017


Recommended Posts

11 minutes ago, duke of queens said:

This is a tough one. You have the righty veteran, Belisle, who has been pitching extremely well of late The lefty, Rogers, who has been the most consistent over the course of the year and who has pitched primarily in the 8th, but who has been real bad as of late. Then you have the rookie righty(Hildenberger), who has a closing pedigree and has been very good since his call up. Any Twins fans want to way in on this one.

 

Took a look-see, and Belisle has been very good since his last implosion on June 14. Since then, he's pitched 20.2 innings, allowed 15 hits, 5 walks, 1 ER, and struck out 17. He's brought his ERA down from 8.59 on June 14 to 4.64...his WHIP from 1.68 to 1.34. The question is if he can keep that up if they try him as the closer. 

 

Hildenberger, otoh, has kinda struggled. He's allowed 6 ER over his last 8 outings. That covers 10 IP, and I say "kinda" because he's walked no one in that stretch and has allowed 11 hits, only one of them a HR. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

 

Took a look-see, and Belisle has been very good since his last implosion on June 14. Since then, he's pitched 20.2 innings, allowed 15 hits, 5 walks, 1 ER, and struck out 17. He's brought his ERA down from 8.59 on June 14 to 4.64...his WHIP from 1.68 to 1.34. The question is if he can keep that up if they try him as the closer. 

 

Hildenberger, otoh, has kinda struggled. He's allowed 6 ER over his last 8 outings. That covers 10 IP, and I say "kinda" because he's walked no one in that stretch and has allowed 11 hits, only one of them a HR. 

You could also say 6 runs over his last 12 outings as 6 is what he has given up total this year since being called up. It also looks like they like to give him more than 1 inning. In 8 of 12 outings he has pitched more than 1 inning. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, jdbob11 said:

ESPN has Belisle listed as closer.  I guess Im going to target him.

 

Are you sure you want to do this? His ERA 4.64 with a WHIP 1.34. Sometimes its better if another team 

claims him. 

 

Sorry I didn't see what Flyman75 had posted. 

Edited by weakkneeswilly
Link to post
Share on other sites

What are the guesses on how quickly will Melancon reclaim the closer's role in SF when he returns? Immediately, or will they give him a game or two before putting him back in the role? 

 

-- Signed, Sam Dyson owner

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kidtwentytwo said:

Changes the past few weeks.  A  few bullpens look like they could be a mess...

 

Out:

Reed

Jim Johnson

Justin Wilson

Oh

Brach

Robertson

Maurer

 

 

In:

Shane Greene

Treinen

Rosenthal

AJ Ramos (out then back in)

Brad Ziegler

Britton

Clippard

Claudio

Vizcaino

Hand

 

Watching closely:  Bud Norris

 

TBD

Nats:  Doolittle/Knitzler

Twins:  Rodgers/Belisle/Hildenberger

 

Melancon set to return soon

How would you guys rank the "In" guys here in terms of ROS value?  I think we can definitely start with Rosenthal and Hand, and after that I'm kinda like ehh... 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, rag9876 said:

How would you guys rank the "In" guys here in terms of ROS value?  I think we can definitely start with Rosenthal and Hand, and after that I'm kinda like ehh... 

 

My personal tiers of that group would be:

 

1st:  Britton, Hand (have the job and the talent)

2nd:  Rosenthal, Ramos (have the job, relatively stable but somewhat shaky)

3rd:  Claudio, Treinen, Vizcaino, Greene (we think they have the job, could be shaky / mixed results)

4th:  Ziegler, Clippard (we think they have the job but they will more than likely blow up your ratios)

 

That's my thoughts.  Ranking within those tiers is a coin toss IMO.  I could pick my favorites from each group but I also wouldn't fault anyone for a differing opinion.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

What are the guesses on how quickly will Melancon reclaim the closer's role in SF when he returns? Immediately, or will they give him a game or two before putting him back in the role? 

 

-- Signed, Sam Dyson owner

 

I think it might be dysons to lose now. hes been pretty good. idk if theres any money factors in this.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, kidtwentytwo said:

Changes the past few weeks.  A  few bullpens look like they could be a mess...

 

Out:

Reed

Jim Johnson

Justin Wilson

Oh

Brach

Robertson

Maurer

 

 

In:

Shane Greene

Treinen

Rosenthal

AJ Ramos (out then back in)

Brad Ziegler

Britton

Clippard

Claudio

Vizcaino

Hand

 

Watching closely:  Bud Norris

 

TBD

Nats:  Doolittle/Knitzler

Twins:  Rodgers/Belisle/Hildenberger

 

Melancon set to return soon

 

Fantastic job, though after yesterday's entering in the 7th & pitching 2+ IP, Claudio belongs firmly in the "watching closely." That's not "closer" usage. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Stutin said:

 

I think it might be dysons to lose now. hes been pretty good. idk if theres any money factors in this.

 

There are huge money factors.  Melancon has an expensive long-term contract and is the closer when healthy.  The only hope for Dyson owners is Melancon not being healthy, or for the rest of '17, that the Giants elect to keep Melancon on the DL because they aren't going anywhere and want to protect their investment.  It doesn't look like that's the case though, with the most recent news, he'll be back shortly.  So the only question is, is he really healthy, will he stay healthy?

 

Again, I own both for the record, and would prefer Dyson keep the job the rest of this season for salary cap reasons, but if Melancon is on the 25-man, he's closing.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, duke of queens said:

This is a tough one. You have the righty veteran, Belisle, who has been pitching extremely well of late The lefty, Rogers, who has been the most consistent over the course of the year and who has pitched primarily in the 8th, but who has been real bad as of late. Then you have the rookie righty(Hildenberger), who has a closing pedigree and has been very good since his call up. Any Twins fans want to way in on this one.

 

With the Twins and Nats, we are waiting on information from the team/manager before we can make a better decision there.  We know who the candidates are, but everyone is in a holding pattern.  I was listening to that Kintzler interview yesterday and he said something like "They didn't tell me what role I'd be in, but I'm good with where ever they want me".  So I'd lean Doolittle there.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, JJ1223 said:

Is Clippard even worth a roster spot?  He's been useless since being traded and "named closer"

 

I'd spec add somewhere else. Robertson didn't even get that many save opportunities and he's not gonna wreck your ratios like Clippard will

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Low and Away said:

The one I saw was a balk without question. If that is his normal stretch delivery he is going to have a lot more called on him since just one umpire called it correctly. The rest will follow.

Yes that is his stretch delivery the announcers were saying.  He isn't used to it being called but he apparently does this frequently.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Backdoor Slider said:

 

Fantastic job, though after yesterday's entering in the 7th & pitching 2+ IP, Claudio belongs firmly in the "watching closely." That's not "closer" usage. 

probably will go back to Kela, primarily when ready, and then with Claudio and Leclerc in the mix.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TopChuckie said:

 

There are huge money factors.  Melancon has an expensive long-term contract and is the closer when healthy.  The only hope for Dyson owners is Melancon not being healthy, or for the rest of '17, that the Giants elect to keep Melancon on the DL because they aren't going anywhere and want to protect their investment.  It doesn't look like that's the case though, with the most recent news, he'll be back shortly.  So the only question is, is he really healthy, will he stay healthy?

 

Again, I own both for the record, and would prefer Dyson keep the job the rest of this season for salary cap reasons, but if Melancon is on the 25-man, he's closing.

 

 

Don't see how money factors into it when it's a lost season. Why does it matter to the team financially what inning Melancon comes out for when he comes back? Is it a self-esteem thing for Melancon? If anything you would think they'd let Dyson keep the job ROS just to have another relief arm with closer experience to trade in the off-season or have around 'just in case' for next year. IDK. 

 

Also, csb. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Tony Barnette has been lights out in July after coming off the DL. They're using him as a multi-inning guy now but he has been a 1 inning guy for the past year and had almost 100 saves in Japan. 

 

There's something wrong with Kela physically, I'd bet. They're just not using him in any capacity. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, kidtwentytwo said:

Almost zero % chance Melancon doesn't get the job back.  Now, he may not be healthy or effective or get it back immediately, but anyone who thinks he won't close if healthy is kidding themselves 

Yeah if he comes back and isn't physically able to close yet it's one thing, but the job is his and it'll only be a matter of time. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, moeron22 said:

 

 

Don't see how money factors into it when it's a lost season. Why does it matter to the team financially what inning Melancon comes out for when he comes back? Is it a self-esteem thing for Melancon? If anything you would think they'd let Dyson keep the job ROS just to have another relief arm with closer experience to trade in the off-season or have around 'just in case' for next year. IDK. 

 

Also, csb. 

 

I dunno, it's Melancon's job, was his job when he went on the DL, and he's being paid long term to do the job.  It would be kind of weird if you went out on sick leave and when you came back your boss said "ahh just let this other guy keep doing your job for a while because he's been OK while you were out".  Whether it's a lost season or not I agree with others that it's Melancon's job, and it's just a matter of his health.  If he's healthy enough to pitch I don't see why he wouldn't go back to the 9th.

 

Also Dyson has basically a whole season of closing experience last year, so it's not like they need him to keep pitching the 9th for "experience".  He can set up and if he's needed again he'll be right there ready.

Link to post
Share on other sites

It's silly when people want to compare professional athletics with working a regular desk job. Obviously it would be weird if my boss did that because it wouldn't make sense financially or logically for them to replace me while on sick leave. That would entail weeks of time/resources to find and train someone. 

 

I don't see what's so crazy about him coming back in the 7th or 8th inning role ROS. What is the major difference between that and the 9th? High leverage situations? Are they really so high leverage when your team isn't contending?

 

I'm just playing devil's advocate, I don't have a horse in this race at all.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, moeron22 said:

It's silly when people want to compare professional athletics with working a regular desk job. Obviously it would be weird if my boss did that because it wouldn't make sense financially or logically for them to replace me while on sick leave. That would entail weeks of time/resources to find and train someone. 

 

I don't see what's so crazy about him coming back in the 7th or 8th inning role ROS. What is the major difference between that and the 9th? High leverage situations? Are they really so high leverage when your team isn't contending?

 

I'm just playing devil's advocate, I don't have a horse in this race at all.

 

Because Mark Melancon is a quality closer  -- They acquired and are paying Mark Melancon to be a closer  -- Mark Melancon will be closing.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • JFS179 locked this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...