NBC Sports Edge Forums

August Closer Thread 2017

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, WaKe21334 said:

My roto league is insanely tight in saves, could use all the saves I could get.

Infante has good stuff?...

MLB.com story on Rosenthal and the Cards situation ... doesn't sound great

Successful in all seven save attempts since being reinstated as closer, Trevor Rosenthalopened the bottom of the ninth hardly looking like himself. Two pitches into the inning, Rosenthal, who hadn't allowed a hit on a fastball slower than 96.3 mph this season, served up a home run on a 91.4-mph fastball.

The radar gun caught Matheny's eye, and after Rosenthal issued a walk on his eighth pitch, the reliever's night was over. A pitcher who ranked second in the Majors with an average fastball velocity of 98.5 mph entering the night averaged 93.9 mph on the six four-seam fastballs he threw.

"Something didn't look right," Matheny said. "It just didn't look smooth."

Rosenthal had alerted the Cardinals recently of some renewed tightness in his right arm, though after three days off, he assured Matheny before the game that he'd be ready. Now he's set to be examined by the team's medical staff to determine the level of long-term concern.

8 hours ago, WaKe21334 said:

My roto league is insanely tight in saves, could use all the saves I could get.

Saves are scarce. You take them where you can get them.

People punt saves. I say do the opposite: race to the top of the saves category as fast as you can because the supply and availability of the stat is so uncertain.

If you are in a league tight for saves and someone already owns Oh, I'd snag: 

#1 Lyons: I know he's a lefty, but they've been using him in front of Rosie and he can straight pitch. Go check out his stats this year. 

#2 Bowman: I know he's not a flamethrower, but they used him in the 9th the other day when Rosie needed a break. 

this pitcher could work his way back into closing.

Twins activated LHP Glen Perkins from the 60-day disabled list.

Perkins will finally make his return to the Minnesota bullpen on Thursday, despite posting a 6.14 ERA in eight rehab appearances between the Gulf Coast League and Double-A Chattanooga. The veteran left-hander has been sidelined by shoulder problems since April 2016. He'll probably operate in a low-leverage role out of the gate.

15 hours ago, Piotr said:

Diaz patented something he had done only once before today?

He has had some serious stinkers, so I get the point you are trying to make, but he has two holds this season. 

Actually I was kinda making the point that holds are even dumber than saves. But yeah. Diaz sucks, too.

12 hours ago, BMcP said:

Yes, they did.  Also their beat writer (Goold) mentioned on Twitter that something appeared "off" with him tonight.  I also think that due to his velocity being way down tonight.

Fare thee well, Trevor

1 hour ago, lipitorkid said:

If you are in a league tight for saves and someone already owns Oh, I'd snag: 

#1 Lyons: I know he's a lefty, but they've been using him in front of Rosie and he can straight pitch. Go check out his stats this year. 

#2 Bowman: I know he's not a flamethrower, but they used him in the 9th the other day when Rosie needed a break. 

Are we realistically expecting anyone other than Oh to take the job though? I don't think I am.

2 minutes ago, Fiveohnine said:

Are we realistically expecting anyone other than Oh to take the job though? I don't think I am.

I only have 10 moves left this season and I'm not burning one on Tyler Lyons because I feel pretty confidently they'll just give the job back to Oh. If there is a save opp today and Lyons gets it then I'll reconsider...

I don't know how anyone but Oh gets the first shot at the job. If Lyons has been doing a great job as the 8th inning guy, then I'm guessing Matheny will leave him there. I'm not arguing, btw, that Oh is better or will be better in the role.

2 hours ago, Fiveohnine said:

The reason why I said "desperate for saves" and "someone already owns Oh" is because I think Oh will get the first shot, or the only shot. I'm just pointing out that if you are in a crazy deep league or have roster spots to burn on a 1-5% chance of snagging a closer those two: Lyons and Bowman are who I'd snag. 

Rotoworld just reported that Luke Weaver has been recalled, and stated it as "Weaver called up to replace Rosenthal."

I'm assuming he's not called up to be the team's closer, but that's a weird way to say it, RW.

Is he in fact bullpen bound?  If so, maybe he is a late-inning guy.

• JFS179 locked this topic