NBC Sports Edge Forums

August Closer Thread 2017

16 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

Trevor Rosenthal was placed on the 10-day DL with right elbow irritation prior to Thursday's series opener against the Pirates, Bob Nightengale of USA Today Sports reports.

Oh back at closer?

I'd say 75% chance it's Oh.

20% chance it's Lyons(has been dominant of late)  

5% chance it's Brebbia.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why is everyone so certain it's Oh? Is it because Rotoworld wrote it? Look at the game logs. 

Lyons is the one getting the 8th. The last time Oh pitched in the eighth on August 10, he gave up a single, double, got an out and then was pulled for the final out for Rosie. Doesn't show a ton of confidence. 

Lyons pitched the 8th against the Sox in rosie's last appearance. It was as pure of a save opp building as you will see. One could argue that it was because he got two lefties but I'm not so sure that Matheny is going to count on Oh to go 1-2-3 in the 7th to set that up. The game before that, also a pure save opp, Lyons was in the 8th. 

My money is on Lyons. 

Edited by Random Dude
5 hours ago, countseth said:

Rotoworld just reported that Luke Weaver has been recalled, and stated it as "Weaver called up to replace Rosenthal."

I'm assuming he's not called up to be the team's closer, but that's a weird way to say it, RW.

Is he in fact bullpen bound?  If so, maybe he is a late-inning guy.

That phrase just means Weavers next the spot on the 25 man roster vacated by Rosenthal.  It's how they always report these things.  Nothing weird in the wording.  Weaver is a starter and sure he could go to the bullpen but not as a closer or set-up guy.

4 hours ago, azeri98 said:

When does Perkins get the closer's job, by the end of the month?

Like another poster said, if the month was in 2015.  I loved what Perkins did for my teams in the past.  But the past is the past.  His time is over.  ERA over 6 in high A?  Come on, man.  Maybe the last game of the season they might bring him in to close as some sort of tribute to him for his career in Minnesota but that would be about it.

33 minutes ago, Random Dude said:

Why is everyone so certain it's Oh? Is it because Rotoworld wrote it? Look at the game logs. 

Lyons is the one getting the 8th. The last time Oh pitched in the eighth on August 10, he gave up a single, double, got an out and then was pulled for the final out for Rosie. Doesn't show a ton of confidence. 

Lyons pitched the 8th against the Sox in rosie's last appearance. It was as pure of a save opp building as you will see. One could argue that it was because he got two lefties but I'm not so sure that Matheny is going to count on Oh to go 1-2-3 in the 7th to set that up. The game before that, also a pure save opp, Lyons was in the 8th. 

My money is on Lyons. 

Or Matheny could prefer to keep Lyons in his 8th inning role and give Oh a role he's been in before. I own no shares of the Cards' pen, so I have no vested interest. 

5 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

Or Matheny could prefer to keep Lyons in his 8th inning role and give Oh a role he's been in before. I own no shares of the Cards' pen, so I have no vested interest. 

Very possible. Usage is the generally the best indicator of predicting a closer though. I'm not saying it's a lock that it's Lyons. My thought is 60/40 Lyons. People saying it's a 90% chance of Oh is off though in my opinion. There's a good chance I'm wrong but I'll take the Lyons side of the coin. 

We might find out tonight though. 

Edited by Random Dude
  • JFS179 locked this topic