NBC Sports Edge Forums

August Closer Thread 2017

28 minutes ago, WaKe21334 said:

I don't think I have seen a worse bullpen in my life than the white Sox. They have at least 3 guys with over an 8 era in their pen.

That tends to happen when you trade away three of your best bullpen arms...

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, disasterisk said:

That tends to happen when you trade away three of your best bullpen arms...

I can't believe they have this many relievers with eras that high in the majors though. Surely there are better guys on the street.

1 minute ago, mdpharm23 said:

Uh Oh. Everyone still confident Oh will get the next save opportunity?

Lyons pitched a clean 8th while Oh was lucky the Cards had a 6 run lead otherwise 100% he's out a job.

Yes I think Oh will get the next chance. No I'm not super confident in him. There is no 100% in the closer world, that's why we all live in Dante's 10th circle of hell: The Closer Thread 2017

3 minutes ago, mdpharm23 said:

Uh Oh. Everyone still confident Oh will get the next save opportunity?

Lyons pitched a clean 8th while Oh was lucky the Cards had a 6 run lead otherwise 100% he's out a job.

Yeah I do. He gave up 2 bloop 0-2 hits to start the innings. The only ball that was really squared up was by freese. And a lot of times closers don't look overly sharp when they come on for non save situations.

5 hours ago, WaKe21334 said:

Yeah I do. He gave up 2 bloop 0-2 hits to start the innings. The only ball that was really squared up was by freese. And a lot of times closers don't look overly sharp when they come on for non save situations.

This.

However, his rope is not real long.

42 minutes ago, Fiveohnine said:

it's easy to root for Perkins getting the job if you're down in the ninth and need to tie the game.

Am I misrembering him being really good before his injury?  

Not sayings hes good now, but I don't think he was big on blowing saves

7 minutes ago, Numark said:

He was good literally 3 years ago. Not sure how much that matters at this point. Yesterday he was throwing 91 mph fastballs and got torched.

5 minutes ago, SpecialFNK said:

at what point does Melancon get to close again? he has had 3 scoreless appearances so far (1 hit in each).

As a Dyson owner, I hope never........................:D

But $$ will dictate a return sooner rather than later.

Edited by Topgun
56 minutes ago, bradwatson said:

He was good literally 3 years ago. Not sure how much that matters at this point. Yesterday he was throwing 91 mph fastballs and got torched.

Yea I have no idea how good he is now, but it's tough to be too optimistic.

1 hour ago, Numark said:

he was one of the most steady closers for a multi-year stretch in the bigs before the injuries started to hit

2 hours ago, Numark said:

Heh, it doesn't mean anything at all, but I was looking at the twins depth chart on their website and saw perkins was listed as the closer.  It would be a great story, he is easy to root for

Unless you're a Matt Belisle owner. 

-- Signed, a Matt Belisle owner

Ha very true.  I was just talking about a good story as in he has been injured for years and was a fan favorite.  Really good guy and blabla.  But yea, I have Belisle too so the good story can wait until next year!

15 minutes ago, Fiveohnine said:

Which gas can are people going with from CWS? Minaya? Maybe Infante?

I guess could just go all out with Petricka if you really wanted to cook your ratios.

Image result for running away from fire gif

2 hours ago, Fiveohnine said:

Which gas can are people going with from CWS? Minaya? Maybe Infante?

I guess could just go all out with Petricka if you really wanted to cook your ratios.

I spec added infante the other night. Minaya was added the day clippard was traded in my league, I think it's between those 2. But hold your nose bc it won't be pretty.

Instead of actually googling "Familia return closer," I think that one person on each page of this Thread should lazily ask someone else to give them the answer. Great utilization of the forum! 

The fact is, NO ONE knows anything right now. I'm sure there won't be any indication until he returns to the big league team, healthy, and we get a quote from the manager. Until then, there's no point in an announcement being made. 

• JFS179 locked this topic