NBC Sports Edge Forums

August Closer Thread 2017

5 hours ago, STLSU said:

No matter what Girardi said, it's going to be Betances Robertson then Chapman as the closer rotation for the forseeable future.  

Wish I'd saved one transaction for the weekend due to this news..

I disagree..Chapman will be closing in a week. Its temporary 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, ragrag said:

Brad Hand slamming the door shut on WAS.  

Yawn... Another easy save for Hand.  Except for the meltdown when he shouldn't have even been in there, he's been about as automatic as they come.

1 hour ago, Bullys said:

I disagree..Chapman will be closing in a week. Its temporary 

I seriously doubt that.  He is in the dog house for his actions on Friday night and Girardi is not likely to let him out too easily.  If he were the one and only option at closer then maybe.  But both Betances and Robertson are pitching way better than he is right now.  And both know to check runners and back up the catcher as well.  Chapman did stuff that would get him benched on a sand lot team on Friday night let alone a contending team.

Also I doubt if Girardi will let him in any game against the Red Sox in any inning unless it is a blow-out (there is one more series at Yankee Stadium) what with his 9+ ERA against them.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory

OK - here we go again with the Sciosciapath.  Let's see how he plays this.  Up until now he's kinda favored Middleton, but brought him out in the 6th.  Bedrosian may be the best of the bunch, but he had him pitch the 7th to the bottom of the order yet again.  Now Petit is pitching the 8th.  He said Parker doesn't have a closer's mentality, soooo... Norris or Bailey for the save opp?

10 minutes ago, Squeeealer said:

OK - here we go again with the Sciosciapath.  Let's see how he plays this.  Up until now he's kinda favored Middleton, but brought him out in the 6th.  Bedrosian may be the best of the bunch, but he had him pitch the 7th to the bottom of the order yet again.  Now Petit is pitching the 8th.  He said Parker doesn't have a closer's mentality, soooo... Norris or Bailey for the save opp?

Norris

17 minutes ago, mannymachado said:

What is going on with scoscia????

8/13/17 - Angels win 4-2: parker 7th, petit 8th, middleton 9th (Sv)

8/15/17 - Angels lose 3-1: norris 6th, paredes 7th, bailey 8th

8/16/17 - Angels win 3-2: chavez 6th/7th, middleton 8th, bedrosian 9th (Sv) 

8/18/17 - Angels were winning until the 9th then lose 9-7: bedrosian 6th, parker 7th, petit 8th/9th, middleton 9th (BS, L)

8/19/17 - Angels win 5-1: paredes 6th/7th, norris 8th, parker 9th

8/20/17 - Angels win 5-4: middleton 6th, bedrosian 7th, petit 8th, norris 9th (Sv)

i know scoscia is a major league manager and i am just a guy sitting on my couch, but the way scosciapath is using his bullpen is bordering on insane.   95% of pitchers are creatures of habit and the fact that he's bringing in any of them in during any inning from the 6th-9th is crazy.   i know norris got the save today, but there have been several blown saves as well, most notably a walk off grand slam the other night by middleton after bedrosian had converted a clean save 2 nights before. so it's not like you can just say "well, it's working." the only thing this current usage is doing is making guys unsure of when or if they will get into each game and not allowing any one of them to build confidence by allowing them to rattle off a few saves in a row.   all i can say is that i feel really sorry for all angels fans to have to deal with scoscia on a nightly basis.  /endrant.

7 minutes ago, swingbatter said:

8/13/17 - Angels win 4-2: parker 7th, petit 8th, middleton 9th (Sv)

8/15/17 - Angels lose 3-1: norris 6th, paredes 7th, bailey 8th

8/16/17 - Angels win 3-2: chavez 6th/7th, middleton 8th, bedrosian 9th (Sv) 

8/18/17 - Angels were winning until the 9th then lose 9-7: bedrosian 6th, parker 7th, petit 8th/9th, middleton 9th (BS, L)

8/19/17 - Angels win 5-1: paredes 6th/7th, norris 8th, parker 9th

8/20/17 - Angels win 5-4: middleton 6th, bedrosian 7th, petit 8th, norris 9th (Sv)

i know scoscia is a major league manager and i am just a guy sitting on my couch, but the way scosciapath is using his bullpen is bordering on insane.   95% of pitchers are creatures of habit and the fact that he's bringing in any of them in during any inning from the 6th-9th is crazy.   i know norris got the save today, but there have been several blown saves as well, most notably a walk off grand slam the other night by middleton after bedrosian had converted a clean save 2 nights before. so it's not like you can just say "well, it's working." the only thing this current usage is doing is making guys unsure of when or if they will get into each game and not allowing any one of them to build confidence by allowing them to rattle off a few saves in a row.   all i can say is that i feel really sorry for all angels fans to have to deal with scoscia on a nightly basis.  /endrant.

I don't buy into the whole "creature of habit thing" but at least use your best guys in high leverage situations. There's literally no rhyme or reason to how Scioscia is using his bullpen.

Edited by miasma16
3 hours ago, miasma16 said:

I don't buy into the whole "creature of habit thing" but at least use your best guys in high leverage situations. There's literally no rhyme or reason to how Scioscia is using his bullpen.

this is exactly what i was getting at by posting the pitcher usage in my earlier chart going back just one week.  there's literally no rhyme or reason on when he uses any of his bullpen arms giving none of them a chance to get into a groove.   

• JFS179 locked this topic