NBC Sports Edge Forums

August Closer Thread 2017

46 minutes ago, bradwatson said:

Regarding Maurer... Do you think he would pitch better if he were less trashy looking? I think there could be a direct correlation between hygiene and performance. I mean look at this ugly MFer...

Image result for brandon maurer

What a small mind you have,

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

28 minutes ago, kidtwentytwo said:

No point in trying to figure out the Angels.  Norris has strung together two good outings in a row.  I guess I could stash him to see if he goes back to back if I was desperate for saves.

Scoscia still gonna Scoscia.   Middleton came in during the 5th, pitched the 6th and Bedrosian pitched the 7th in a game the Angels were winning 3-1 at the time and ended up winning 10-1.   Jose Alvarez pitched the last two innings.  Looks like Bud is back at the top of the saves hierarchy until Scoscia brings him in during some random inning next game because he's the Scosciapath.

So I just looked at Buchter's last 5 games, and he's pitched the 9th in his last 3 outings (though non-save situations), the 8th in the two prior, and pitched behind Maurer in 3 of those 5.

I'll take Buchter.

54 minutes ago, JFS179 said:

So I just looked at Buchter's last 5 games, and he's pitched the 9th in his last 3 outings (though non-save situations), the 8th in the two prior, and pitched behind Maurer in 3 of those 5.

I'll take Buchter.

Argument on the other side is that Bucter is a lefty and Yost isn't particularly progressive in his bullpen management. 

4 minutes ago, Purple Hippo said:

Argument on the other side is that Bucter is a lefty and Yost isn't particularly progressive in his bullpen management. 

You literally took that argument / comment verbatim from closer monkey.

Minor seems like the most qualified and talented of everyone , but he's pretty solid fireman.  

Edited by afgolfman666
26 minutes ago, afgolfman666 said:

Minor seems like the most qualified and talented of everyone , but he's pretty solid fireman.  

Also closer monkey sites a 2014 article as "proof". They won the 2015 World Series. Some might say because of their bullpen. :unsure:

34 minutes ago, afgolfman666 said:

I did but it doesn't mean it's not true. Yost seems to be the type to go with Maurer because he's a "proven closer" type BS. And the article closer monkey cites is just evidence that Yost tends to be a slave to strict L/R usage.

51 minutes ago, Purple Hippo said:

I did but it doesn't mean it's not true. Yost seems to be the type to go with Maurer because he's a "proven closer" type BS. And the article closer monkey cites is just evidence that Yost tends to be a slave to strict L/R usage.

well it looks like all this discussion is all for naught presuming the report above from this CloserMonkey source is accurate.

4 hours ago, bradwatson said:

Regarding Maurer... Do you think he would pitch better if he were less trashy looking? I think there could be a direct correlation between hygiene and performance. I mean look at this ugly MFer...

1280x720_BBWAA_awards_AL_ecmnpmia_fd6r6s

Spin: 
Fantasy owners are in a tough spot with Herrera on Wednesday. A decision regarding his availability could come before the game, but it sounds more like a situation in which Herrera would test the forearm from the bullpen if needed late in the game. The good news is that Yost confirmed the ailment is centralized in the wrist, and not Herrera's elbow.

ESPN Fantasy
6 minutes ago, STLSU said:
Spin: 
Fantasy owners are in a tough spot with Herrera on Wednesday. A decision regarding his availability could come before the game, but it sounds more like a situation in which Herrera would test the forearm from the bullpen if needed late in the game. The good news is that Yost confirmed the ailment is centralized in the wrist, and not Herrera's elbow.

ESPN Fantasy

The main thing is that it doesn't sound serious. He may miss tonight, but should be back for sure in the next few days.

How do you get pulled with a tight forearm and then pitch a couple days after? I'm not thinking too hard but I can't really remember that happening recently. It has to be a cramp, otherwise anything else that is causing the tightness needs some sort of extended rest you'd think. 

8 minutes ago, dod959 said:

How do you get pulled with a tight forearm and then pitch a couple days after? I'm not thinking too hard but I can't really remember that happening recently. It has to be a cramp, otherwise anything else that is causing the tightness needs some sort of extended rest you'd think. 

Yeah, usually a tight forearm sets off giant alarm bells as a precursor to something serious. 

7 hours ago, bradwatson said:

I got your back:

458675.jpg

• JFS179 locked this topic