NBC Sports Edge Forums

August Closer Thread 2017

1 hour ago, Ace_King said:

Any news on whether Britton will miss time?

Zach Britton is available out of the bullpen Friday after an MRI on his left knee came back better than expected.

Britton said he was told by doctors that the knee shouldn't affect him for the rest of the season and he will not need surgery after the year. In other words, it's the best news he could've hoped for. He'll pitch Friday if a save opportunity comes up for the Orioles.
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Saw this little tidbit about Cardinals situation and wanted to post it here for us save chasers.  According to Matheny, Oh isn't necessarily the closer.  But, the whole "managers tend to lie" thing is in play as well.  So, who really knows...

http://m.cardinals.mlb.com/news/article/250470344/cards-trying-to-solve-bullpen-conundrum/

"Oh may serve as the primary closer over the rest of the season with Trevor Rosenthal headed for Tommy John surgery, although manager Mike Matheny suggested roles will be fluid, MLB.com reports. "We don't have roles," Matheny said. "In any situation, if it looks like you're going to be the best fit for it, we're going to give you the ball. Go get the job done."And so Matheny will continue to work with what he has.

"I always say, it's just more opportunity for guys maybe [to pitch] in some situations that they weren't previously in," Matheny said. "We're going to keep throwing guys in spots where they can do it, and we'll figure it out."

1 hour ago, swingbatter said:

Saw this little tidbit about Cardinals situation and wanted to post it here for us save chasers.  According to Matheny, Oh isn't necessarily the closer.  But, the whole "managers tend to lie" thing is in play as well.  So, who really knows...

http://m.cardinals.mlb.com/news/article/250470344/cards-trying-to-solve-bullpen-conundrum/

"Oh may serve as the primary closer over the rest of the season with Trevor Rosenthal headed for Tommy John surgery, although manager Mike Matheny suggested roles will be fluid, MLB.com reports. "We don't have roles," Matheny said. "In any situation, if it looks like you're going to be the best fit for it, we're going to give you the ball. Go get the job done."And so Matheny will continue to work with what he has.

"I always say, it's just more opportunity for guys maybe [to pitch] in some situations that they weren't previously in," Matheny said. "We're going to keep throwing guys in spots where they can do it, and we'll figure it out."

Chris Duncan correctly refers to Oh as "Uh Oh" when he's coming in. I couldn't agree more with that thinking and nickname

6 minutes ago, gorillamunch said:

What happened to The Final Boss this season, anyway? Did everyone find the cheat code to beat him, or did the KBO just forget to switch the game from "hard mode" the whole time??

Home Runs really have hurt him all year. He's just hasn't  looked very sharp and having a WHIP of 1.40 as a closer is going to cause a lot of issues and pretty concerning. Nobody needs cheat codes to beat this boss

4 hours ago, swingbatter said:

Zach Britton is available out of the bullpen Friday after an MRI on his left knee came back better than expected.

Britton said he was told by doctors that the knee shouldn't affect him for the rest of the season and he will not need surgery after the year. In other words, it's the best news he could've hoped for. He'll pitch Friday if a save opportunity comes up for the Orioles.

And there is no way he is needed tonight so he will get an extra day of rest for it.

37 minutes ago, Michael Bluth said:

What do we do with chapman? Can't trust this guy in the playoffs 

I dropped in ESPN.  Just wanted more SP and AC does nothing for me now.  No time to wait for him to find himself and his offspeed offerings.

1 hour ago, Michael Bluth said:

What do we do with chapman? Can't trust this guy in the playoffs 

as a Betances owner im grinning ear to ear

thought there was chance if Betances got suspended Chapman swooped job back....didn't get suspended.....then Chapman lays another bomb tonight

excellent stuff

Not much time left. 

Once the Mets acquired Ramos, I thought the writing was on the wall and said as much. Familia owners needed Familia to come back healthy, pitch well, and probably have Ramos blow a few games. And remember, when would he be able to go back to back games? So you think Mets would insert Familia back as closer, then need to go back to Ramos on occasion? 

When a team who wasn't competing for a playoff spot acquired a closer, I thought the message was clear. "Don't rush Familia back. Ease him in. Let Ramos finish as closer and get Familia back and ready for next year."

14 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

Not much time left. 

Once the Mets acquired Ramos, I thought the writing was on the wall and said as much. Familia owners needed Familia to come back healthy, pitch well, and probably have Ramos blow a few games. And remember, when would he be able to go back to back games? So you think Mets would insert Familia back as closer, then need to go back to Ramos on occasion? 

When a team who wasn't competing for a playoff spot acquired a closer, I thought the message was clear. "Don't rush Familia back. Ease him in. Let Ramos finish as closer and get Familia back and ready for next year."

Yeah. But it's one game. If he's fine his next couple of times out then he'll continue to look like a threat to reclaim the role.

36 minutes ago, miasma16 said:

Yeah. But it's one game. If he's fine his next couple of times out then he'll continue to look like a threat to reclaim the role.

Can he pitch back to back days yet? Is he going to pitch well enough to displace a proven closer? 

There's 5 weeks left in the season. If you consider there's 26 weeks in a season, good closers get what, 1 1/2 saves/week (39 for a year). This means it's very likely the Mets get 8-10 saves ROS. I don't think it's likely as of today that Familia gets even half of those, do you? 

Holland came in up 3 in the 9th, gave up a single, got a fly out and then gave up a 2 run jack to Matt Adams to cut Rockies lead to 1.  Then next guy up got a single and manager pulled him mid-inning for McGee.   McGee gets a game ending double play to preserve the win and gets the save.    Looks like the clock has struck midnight for Holland.  At least for awhile.  If McGee can covert a few in a row, he might be the guy the rest of the year...

• JFS179 locked this topic