NBC Sports Edge Forums

August Closer Thread 2017

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Random Dude said:

And Lyons was most recently used in the Top of the 9th in a tie game at home...

Oh was also used in the 8th AGAIN today, but if you ignore all this, he's clearly still the closer.

Don't understand why Lyons wasn't in there today, especially to face the lefty LoMo who hit the game-winning homer.  Well played, Matheny.

11 minutes ago, Bravesfan155 said:

Knebel having trouble locating his fastball. Able to get his curve over though. HPB and walk due to not being able to spot the FB.

It's not a big deal. It's been documented Knebel unleashes the best when he has runners on base

more fun in the anaheim bullpen today.  bedrosian comes in for the 8th in a game the angels are winning and promptly gives up 3 runs to blow the lead and the game.  then middleton comes in for the 9th when the angels were then losing at the time.  it literally looks like the 'path is just rotating pitchers on a daily basis, and it doesn't matter if the team is winning or losing.  Two days ago it was Middleton pitching the 7th, Bedrosian pitching the 8th in a game the Angels lost, so no 9th inning to pitch. Yesterday it was parker getting the save after norris (who had been the supposed lead in the closer race) came in with a lead for the 7th inning, wood pitching the 8th and parker pitching the 9th (getting the save) -- when in the past scoscia said he doesn't think parker had the mentality to be able to close out games.   today it was petit pitching the 7th, bedrosian the 8th (who blew the game) and middleton for the 9th.   I love every time this insane theory comes back to bite Scoscia, he looks more moronic every time he just throws these pitchers out there regardless of game situation or inning.   never change mike, never change.

8 minutes ago, swingbatter said:

more fun in the anaheim bullpen today.  bedrosian comes in for the 8th in a game the angels are winning and promptly gives up 3 runs to blow the lead and the game.  then middleton comes in for the 9th when the angels were then losing at the time.  it literally looks like the 'path is just rotating pitchers on a daily basis, and it doesn't matter if the team is winning or losing.  Two days ago it was Middleton pitching the 7th, Bedrosian pitching the 8th in a game the Angels lost, so no 9th inning to pitch. Yesterday it was parker getting the save after norris (who had been the supposed lead in the closer race) came in with a lead for the 7th inning, wood pitching the 8th and parker pitching the 9th (getting the save) -- when in the past scoscia said he doesn't think parker had the mentality to be able to close out games.   today it was petit pitching the 7th, bedrosian the 8th (who blew the game) and middleton for the 9th.   I love every time this insane theory comes back to bite Scoscia, he looks more moronic every time he just throws these pitchers out there regardless of game situation or inning.   never change mike, never change.

It depends on what type of pasta he has that day, lasagna=Norris, spaghetti=Bedrosian, Rigatoni=Parker and macaroni=Middleton

21 minutes ago, fingy said:

I'm wondering this too. Maybe he's the high-leverage guy?

8 hours ago, mdford said:

Why not Neshek he has had the much better year?

Neshek has repeatedly said he doesn't like closing games.  I don't have a link to the quote handy, but it's been mentioned many times within this thread, mostly when he was in Philly earlier this season and Neris was struggling.  I'm guessing that the manager doesn't want to throw him out there doing something he doesn't feel comfortable with.   As far as if McGee is the guy...if he converts 2-3 more stress-free saves, he will be the guy.  Often when a manager says "we are going to evaluate [insert struggling closer's name] and see where he is after a few less stressful situations" it's just a way to nicely demote him and not say "he's done or he can't get anyone out anymore."   It's also a less stressful way to see if the new guy being asked to get saves can convert without the pressure of definitively being named the new closer.   McGee also has had successful closing experience (last year in Colorado and in Tampa Bay a few years back), so it's not like he doesn't know how to get the last 3 outs of a game, he's been there and done that.   I'd be surprised if Holland gets any more saves as long as McGee shows he can get it done.  The Rockies are in a tight WC race, they can't afford to throw away any more games.

Edited by swingbatter

The good thing is COL is fighting for 2nd wildcard or else Holland would get unlimited chances. He's one of those guys around the league who has the closer label until he dies. 

But the good thing for McGee is Neshek doesn't want to close and sucks vs. LHB traditionally. And they have another good LHP in Mike Dunn who can assume LH setup pretty easily. 

But if Holland puts a couple good outings together and K's a couple dudes with a slider, he's going right back into the 9th I'd bet. 

Just now, Macho Man Randy Savage said:

Please no. First Kintzler and Jimmy Johnson losing their closing spots, now Holland. Stop feeding my team gasoline.

Well he needed a pen session to work on his slider

Coors isn't exactly the place to hash out breaking ball problems

Just now, XxxOilOverloadxxX said:

Well he needed a pen session to work on his slider

Coors isn't exactly the place to hash out breaking ball problems

Yea I saw he supposedly had a pen session today to work on his Slider.

Not sure what is up with so many closers lately. Chapman, Oh, Johnson, Norris, Allen, Diaz, etc. all being removed from the closing spot at some point this year. I get being traded in Reed, Kintzer and Wilson's circumstance, but it seems everyone else is forgetting, they still have a month + left of baseball PLUS a month or 2 more depending how far teams can get.

Please do fail Holland PLEASE.

46 minutes ago, mortl said:

is Blake Parker the guy now ?

If I had to put money on it he would be the guy I would pick. I think it's clearly not Bedrosian. Maybe Norris will sneak in some chances as well, but I think Parker is the guy to own here.

1 hour ago, mortl said:

20 minutes ago, bradwatson said:

If I had to put money on it he would be the guy I would pick. I think it's clearly not Bedrosian. Maybe Norris will sneak in some chances as well, but I think Parker is the guy to own here.

At one time I brought up Parker, and it was pointed out to me that Scioscia said something to the effect of "He doesn't have the mentality" to close. FWIW

2 hours ago, Backdoor Slider said:

At one time I brought up Parker, and it was pointed out to me that Scioscia said something to the effect of "He doesn't have the mentality" to close. FWIW

I remember reading that on here, but he's gotten a save over the past week. Others have recently too, but I feel like their situation is more of a who isn't the he vs who is the guy. Bedrosian can be ruled out imo based on his recent usage. Petit can also be ruled out. Norris has been used oddly of late. I think it's between Parker and Middleton with Parker being the main guy to own.

6 hours ago, borindia said:

Is Bedrosian pretty much useless as a closer now?

6 hours ago, jeffr913 said:

Familia see any chance at getting saves? He got hit hard Saturday night.

5 hours ago, mortl said:

32 minutes ago, mortl said:

Mcgee new closer ?

Bedrosian wasn't getting opportunities over the last week or so, and then he blew up, so although the Angels 'pen remains unpredictable, his stock is low and he is droppable.

I would think he takes over from Ramos once he gets in a scoreless inning or two. Not a lock, but I think that scenario makes the most sense.

It's unpredictable there as always, but he converted the last successful save opportunity, so he's the guy to own. 

Long term, they want it to be Holland, that's pretty clear. McGee still has value, however, because (1) it looks like he's getting saves in the short term as they try to get Holland "right" and (2) there's no guarantee Holland gets right. 

I'd rank the four guys asked about here ROS as:

Familia (looked good during rehab and a tough outing at the MLB level was to be expected, they probably want him back in the saddle)

Parker (best arm in that 'pen and even if others get opportunities, he should get at least a few with upside from there)

McGee (Holland will likely remain an issue)

(huge gap)

Bedrosian

• JFS179 locked this topic