NBC Sports Edge Forums

August Closer Thread 2017

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, KingJoffrey said:

I am usually all about this.  But this is horse**** about Albers.

Albers has 6 holds and 2 saves with 4 blown saves.  Making him 8/12 in "pressure situations".  While not great, it is not too far behind the save conversion % which usually runs around 80-90% among good closers.   Also keep in mind that his W-L is 5-2.  That means he came in during some tie/close games and did a good enough job to get the win.

Albers started off really, really well.  But of course he was due for regression.  Pretty much no pitcher keeps a sub 1 ERA or even a sub 2.00 ERA.  Albers was due for regression.  However, his regression came as Washington, desperate for a closer, put him in that situation.

I may believe that some relievers are better suited as closers but Matt Albers does not justify the concept at all.

So 2/6, or 33%, in actual save situations?  Can't really compare coming in the 7th or 8th inning with the 9th.  And besides, the 66% you cited is pretty far behind 80-90%.

1 hour ago, The Waker said:

So 2/6, or 33%, in actual save situations?  Can't really compare coming in the 7th or 8th inning with the 9th.  And besides, the 66% you cited is pretty far behind 80-90%.

No, you get a blown save for blowing a hold situation too.  Of the blown saves, there was only 1 real "meltdown" and that was the Atlanta game.

And the 8 /12 is based on a very small sample size.  I am sure some top closers have had some 8/12 stretches in their careers.

9 hours ago, goldbaby11 said:

Anyone still hanging onto Yates? 0.1 162ERA

I just seen Yates did last night ....

in two rotisserie leagues where I own Mr. Yates one league went from first to second and lost 3 points

in the other went from second to third and lost 4 points

2 hours ago, shakestreet said:

I just seen Yates did last night ....

in two rotisserie leagues where I own Mr. Yates one league went from first to second and lost 3 points

in the other went from second to third and lost 4 points

yeah if I were a yates owner and he did this in August to my roto teams, i would have had to call the suicide prevention hotline

Brach is still a pretty high upside setup guy, so I'd really need to hvae a strong alternative use for that spot to drop him.

But yes, if one were solely foucsed on saves he's likely not the best best; I'd think one of the Wash guys, Oak guys, Minn options is a better probability saves bet.  Most of the available ones, though, likely cost in ratios more than they'll get in saves

2 minutes ago, Whizzinator said:

Brach is still a pretty high upside setup guy, so I'd really need to hvae a strong alternative use for that spot to drop him.

But yes, if one were solely foucsed on saves he's likely not the best best; I'd think one of the Wash guys, Oak guys, Minn options is a better probability saves bet.  Most of the available ones, though, likely cost in ratios more than they'll get in saves

Got it thanks 

Taylor Rogers' usage leads me to believe the Belisle is the lead dog in the Minny pen.

Alex Claudio was the only pitcher warming in the ninth with the Rangers up 4-1 and Hamels going on to pitch a complete game.

• JFS179 locked this topic