NBC Sports Edge Forums

Ozzie Albies 2017 Outlook

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any ideas on what his playing time will look like? Phillips has got to have a lock on 2B. So SS is his or does he split time with Camargo. Can't see them calling him up and splitting his PT. He needs everydays at bats especially at his age

Edited by Csiebert5

thanks for the heads up! 

I've watched a fair bit of Ozzie. His MILB stats this year won't blow you away (.771 OPS | 28:90 K:BB) but 117 hits in 97 games, 21 steals in 23 attempts.

He can play. Should bring a little bit of everything. Don't count on him to be your middle infield savior (even though I kind of am...) but I'd rather have Albies ROS than Cesar Hernandez, Semien, Arcia types. 

EDIT: gee.. didn't even think about playing time. I assumed if he was getting the call, it was to play. 

Edited by ChicksDigTheOPS

20 year old putting up those numbers in Triple A though. Elevated K/rate this year, but This kid has major talent. Probably don't expect too much in redraft leagues for this year, but he's got speed and some pop. I assume he'll be playing SS, the Braves aren't going to call him up to sit. Long term, I'm a huge fan of Albies. Good hit tool, and I think he's got 10hr/30sb potential easy. At a middle infield spot, he's someone you can set and forget in your lineups 

He's playing SS.  Not sure about PT.  Don't see him spending much time at 2b with Phillips playing well, until he gets injured.

Dumb question, how soon does Yahoo remove the NA tag?  Right before game time?

Edited by borindia
7 minutes ago, TTRA1N said:

Is he a must add type?

for fantasy offenses, it's not particularly clear that he'll be any worse than Ahmed Rosario... and you consider the hype he is getting, I think Albies is an ask-questions-later kinda guy. the offensive bar for middle infield relevance makes him more exciting to me short-term than, say, Lewis Brinson. Though Brinson's potential is pretty nuts. Off the bat, I expect Albies to at least be Kevin Keirmaier at shortstop. 

7 minutes ago, Mickey Donovan said:

No. People lose leagues chasing guys like this. If you have a adequate shortstop no need to add him

or, he could be the difference maker you assume he is when you make the add.

nobody knows, that's why everyone says "add now, ask questions later."

Edited by pierceNKC
6 minutes ago, pierceNKC said:

or, he could be the difference maker you assume he is when you make the add.

nobody knows, that's why everyone says "add now, ask questions later."

True. Depends on where your team is at in the standings. I've seen a lot of guys chase prospects year after year only to play themselves out of contention. Personally I don't think profiles as an immediate above average fantasy option.  I wouldn't drop anyone on my team for him but if I was not in contention I would add him to see what he is. 

Edited by Mickey Donovan

dropped zobrist for him in a 12 team h2h cat league, starting him tonight over bogaerts if that tells you how annoying xander has been

i have cano + dozier + xander so dont need the MI but id recommend always taking a flier on top prospects if you have literally anyone that might be expendable 

as for current impact i would predict mainly a SB factor for owners, wont be a huge breakout but should be starter worthy for a middle infield slot in most leagues

I am really pissed off right now.  I had him as late as last night, but cut him after they didn't trade Phillips.  No warning at all from the team.  If I had thought there was any chance he was getting called up even if Phillips wasn't getting traded, obviously I would have held onto him.  Now he was picked up by somebody else roughly an hour ago.

2 hours ago, borindia said:

He's playing SS.  Not sure about PT.  Don't see him spending much time at 2b with Phillips playing well, until he gets injured.

Dumb question, how soon does Yahoo remove the NA tag?  Right before game time?

Manager Brian Snitker indicated that Phillips, who is out of the lineup Tuesday against the Dodgers, will no longer be used as the Braves' regular second baseman, Mark Bowman of MLB.com reports. Phillips could, however, see more usage at third base in the games to come.

36 minutes ago, Baur10 said:

More importantly how do we pronounce his first name?  Oz-hay-no?  Looking to spice up the ol team name. 

I would imagine it's oz-ha-e-no.

Anyone think he has early career Jose Reyes upside eventually? I'm higher on Albies than Rosario from a fantasy perspective. I'm pumped both are in my lineup tonight!!!!