NBC Sports Edge Forums

Ozzie Albies 2017 Outlook

3-5 and most importantly a homer off a righty. Get it done Ozzie.

Ozzie has killed it vs lefties so far but we all know a hitter needs to produce against righties. He's keeping up the switch hitting idea which is good for now, if it doesn't work he surely can always revert to righty full time.

At we even got a steal! 3SB and 0CS, he's clearly got the speed so damnit let him loose Bravos.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

22 minutes ago, borindia said:

Looks like he'd carry decent value in a full season.  Keeper in keep 3 10-team leagues?

For a poor team maybe. But he shouldn't be considered one of the top 30 players. The only two ways for the maybe are draft rounds or you are a total Braves fan

• 3 weeks later...

I'm surprised nobody is talking about Albies right now.  He's been red hot, and now he's finally been running pretty consistently all week, which is obviously another good sign.  I know he'll lose his SS-eligibility next season, but he's shaping up to be a very interesting keeper regardless.

Utterly absurd the lack of talk about this kid right now. One of the hottest players in the league, hitting for average, power,speed, everything.

He is looking a bit Altuvian, and that is his potential. Golddust in keepers, and I think he'll be a very sexy sleeper pick in redrafts next year.

47 minutes ago, bigmarc27 said:

2018 projection -

.300 avg

100 runs

20 homers

70 RBIs

25 steals

I like Albies as much as the next guy but I'd take the under on all of those. I could see him come close to 25 bags though.

25 minutes ago, meh2 said:

I like Albies as much as the next guy but I'd take the under on all of those. I could see him come close to 25 bags though.

1 hour ago, bigmarc27 said:

2018 projection -

.300 avg

100 runs

20 homers

70 RBIs

25 steals

I'd actually take the over on 25 steals and under on the 20 Homers.  He's has a breakout power year getting to 15 between the majors and minors, but this is a guy who hit 7 total the 3 years before this one... and that's with over 1000 PA

If this guy gets you 15 HR next year, this is pretty close to 3rd or 4th round value considering position eligibility and speed. Probably too rich for me, but he has a great possibility to a plus contributor in steals and average which are the hardest stats to get in today's game.

58 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

I'd actually take the over on 25 steals and under on the 20 Homers.  He's has a breakout power year getting to 15 between the majors and minors, but this is a guy who hit 7 total the 3 years before this one... and that's with over 1000 PA

If this guy gets you 15 HR next year, this is pretty close to 3rd or 4th round value considering position eligibility and speed. Probably too rich for me, but he has a great possibility to a plus contributor in steals and average which are the hardest stats to get in today's game.

I'd take the over and under that you mentioned.  Now that he finally has the confidence to run, I'd say he gets over 25 easy.  I don't think he'll challenge Gordon or Hamilton for the NL crown, but he still should be in the Top 5 easy.  Unlike Acuna (not knocking him otherwise), Albies had a very high success rate there in the minors and that has translated to the majors as well.  I think he gets roughly 10-12 HRs next season.  15 is not completely out of the question since he has 6 through 55 games so far, but might as well be a little conservative.  I think he could get close to 100 runs though since he's hitting 2nd.  A full season of Freeman will definitely help spark the offense a bit at least.

I'd say my prediction is...

.290 Avg.

90 Runs

12 HRs

65 RBIs

35 SBs

What round that would put him in, I don't know.  I usually leave those predictions up to others.  :) One thing that everyone has to keep in mind is that he will lose his SS eligibility next season, but I don't think that knocks him down too much.  Even at 2B, he has the potential to be highly valuable obviously.

21 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

I'm actually really going to think about Albies a lot in the off-season. This guy has the potential to be what we wanted from Villar, but a guy with a significantly better pedigree. Could be a poor man's altuve next year.

Definitely possible, even if I think the power won't come in completely yet next season.  I actually traded for him yesterday in my keeper league.  I already pretty much had my keepers set, but now I'll move things around a bit to fit him in.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/30/2017 at 4:37 PM, brockpapersizer said:

Agreed, I am waiting for the hype-o-meter to explode out of control on this kid during the offseason.

He has everything you want in fantasy, MI eligability, speed, average, some power. He is looking very much like another Trea Turner to me, with a bit less speed but I feel Ozzie will develop more power. His K/BB 21/36 was phenomenal! He certainly wasn't overmatched in the 57 games he played, that bodes really well for him long-term. Even so, in redrafts I think he could be a uuuuge steal this offseason, and provide 3rd-5th round value like Brock said. Don't know what he meant about it being too rich, he certainly won't cost you that high of a pick! Anything after the 8th round and I'd be all over him, there is such a dearth of speed in todays game, 25SB+ guys who produce across the board are golddust.

Edited by swfcdan
On 10/17/2017 at 7:33 AM, swfcdan said:

Agreed, I am waiting for the hype-o-meter to explode out of control on this kid during the offseason.

He has everything you want in fantasy, MI eligability, speed, average, some power. He is looking very much like another Trea Turner to me, with a bit less speed but I feel Ozzie will develop more power. His K/BB 21/36 was phenomenal! He certainly wasn't overmatched in the 57 games he played, that bodes really well for him long-term. Even so, in redrafts I think he could be a uuuuge steal this offseason, and provide 3rd-5th round value like Brock said. Don't know what he meant about it being too rich, he certainly won't cost you that high of a pick! Anything after the 8th round and I'd be all over him, there is such a dearth of speed in todays game, 25SB+ guys who produce across the board are golddust.

I'm pretty high on Albies as well.  I traded for him in my keeper league near the end of the season because of what he showed already at such a young age.

He'll lose his SS eligibility next season, but he still should be pretty valuable as a 2B too.  Ozzie should be fun to own next season.

• 2 weeks later...

the "poor man's Altuve" comments are apt-- in fact, that's the most common scouting report I've come across.

He can definitely play. Good hit tool... good instincts...super fast.  I'm unlikely to keep him as one of my 7 keepers... but I'll gladly reach a little bit to ensure  getting him in drafts. 

2018 Projection:

.274-92-16-69-38