NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Robby Anderson 2017 Season Outlook

Iron-cock

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

32 minutes ago, burninglegs said:

Targets wills definitely be there. Question is if they will be quality targets. For a late round WR, he is one of the best imo for a lotto ticket. Worse case if things don't work out, send him to the WW after a few weeks. 

They'll be junk targets but a couple guys a year put up WR2 type numbers on junk targets from lousy QBs.  Generally speaking if a guy has a path to 120-130 targets in a season he has a shot at being a WR2 or at least a decent flex in PPR.  And Anderson's path to that volume seems to be paved in gold if the Jets are behind as often as I expect.

1 minute ago, KennyWoo said:

They'll be junk targets but a couple guys a year put up WR2 type numbers on junk targets from lousy QBs.  Generally speaking if a guy has a path to 120-130 targets in a season he has a shot at being a WR2 or at least a decent flex in PPR.  And Anderson's path to that volume seems to be paved in gold if the Jets are behind as often as I expect.

Agreed. Plus his size should make him a decent RZ target. Jets just need to get into the RZ first. 

12 minutes ago, burninglegs said:

Agreed. Plus his size should make him a decent RZ target. Jets just need to get into the RZ first. 

If Hackenburg starts it will be an adventure trying to cross midfield.

Not knocking Anderson at this price though...

Edited by Iron-cock

52 minutes ago, ludawg23 said:

in PPR, volume can be a godsend.  You can do much worse as a late-round flier.  I'm buying.

This.  If I'm drafting a guy in the 5th or 6th round I'm worried about quality of targets - if I'm drafting him at the back end of the draft and he has the potential to get 120 targets, I don't care if it's Helen Keller playing QB.  Even the worst passing team in the NFL last year had over 2900 passing yards - somebody has to be catching those, and I don't see a lot of competition for Anderson right now.

24 minutes ago, handyandy86 said:

This.  If I'm drafting a guy in the 5th or 6th round I'm worried about quality of targets - if I'm drafting him at the back end of the draft and he has the potential to get 120 targets, I don't care if it's Helen Keller playing QB.  Even the worst passing team in the NFL last year had over 2900 passing yards - somebody has to be catching those, and I don't see a lot of competition for Anderson right now.

Ar'Darius Stewart maybe? Sefarian-Jenkins once his suspension ends.

5 minutes ago, Fierylady said:

Ar'Darius Stewart maybe? Sefarian-Jenkins once his suspension ends.

I mean yeah, there will be other people catching balls other than Anderson, but Stewart is a rookie slot receiver and Sefarian-Jenkins is a talented TE but hasn't caught more than 21 balls in a season yet.  Anderson's shown he can play at the NFL level, and was even briefly fantasy-relevant in deeper leagues at the end of last season.  (FWIW I also like Stewart as a late round flier under the same "someone has to get targets" premise)

He's far from a lock to be fantasy relevant this year, but looking at the late-round WR talent, he stacks up pretty well as a guy with wheels, opportunity, and lack of serious competition for playing time.

20 minutes ago, handyandy86 said:

I mean yeah, there will be other people catching balls other than Anderson, but Stewart is a rookie slot receiver and Sefarian-Jenkins is a talented TE but hasn't caught more than 21 balls in a season yet.  Anderson's shown he can play at the NFL level, and was even briefly fantasy-relevant in deeper leagues at the end of last season.  (FWIW I also like Stewart as a late round flier under the same "someone has to get targets" premise)

He's far from a lock to be fantasy relevant this year, but looking at the late-round WR talent, he stacks up pretty well as a guy with wheels, opportunity, and lack of serious competition for playing time.

Yeah, I mean, we can be pretty certain someone's gonna get those targets, and while I agree Anderson's the best bet right now, it's like saying this sandwich is better than those other sandwiches cause we know it's got pickles. That doesn't make it a good sandwich, you know? And what if one of those other sandwiches turns out to have some aioli or something?

1 hour ago, Fierylady said:

Yeah, I mean, we can be pretty certain someone's gonna get those targets, and while I agree Anderson's the best bet right now, it's like saying this sandwich is better than those other sandwiches cause we know it's got pickles. That doesn't make it a good sandwich, you know? And what if one of those other sandwiches turns out to have some aioli or something?

True.  I'm just saying all these sandwiches are really cheap, so if another sandwich looks more appetizing later, I'll just throw this one in the garbage.  

1 hour ago, Fierylady said:

Please tell me you were eating a sandwich while typing this.

34 minutes ago, handyandy86 said:

True.  I'm just saying all these sandwiches are really cheap, so if another sandwich looks more appetizing later, I'll just throw this one in the garbage.  

I need to learn your self control. There's a reason I could stand to lose twenty pounds or so. 

On 8/25/2017 at 6:26 PM, cothane said:

If you ran a deli and had a sandwich called the "Robby Anderson", what would be on it?

Considering his weight to height ratio, not much other than bread and maybe some splenda.

Edited by Iron-cock

Josh McCown has been named the starting QB.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/20489084/josh-mccown-named-new-york-jets-starting-quarterback

The #2 spot hasn't been decided between Hack and Petty.

The first five games are Bills, Raiders, Dolphins, Jaguars, Browns.  With McCown starting some WR's should produce.

If Anderson is doing well during that stretch and there is any possibility of Hackenburg seeing the field...sell high.

Petty seeing the field wouldn't be bad for Anderson since Petty loves him.

On 8/25/2017 at 0:08 PM, handyandy86 said:

This.  If I'm drafting a guy in the 5th or 6th round I'm worried about quality of targets - if I'm drafting him at the back end of the draft and he has the potential to get 120 targets, I don't care if it's Helen Keller Christian Hackenberg playing QB.  Even the worst passing team in the NFL last year had over 2900 passing yards - somebody has to be catching those, and I don't see a lot of competition for Anderson right now.

8 minutes ago, taobball said:

Too bad, already did. ;). 

You are a great contributor around here so I forgive you that indiscretion. :)

Seriously, Kearse's effect on other guys is worth discussing and my response above was more of a way of saying "I don't downgrade Anderson at all because of Kearse."

Kearse is one of the best blocking WRs in the league and I'm sure he'll get a fine snap count because of that.  But he shouldn't run many routes or see many targets.  The Jets probably don't rate him at all - just picked up his salary in order to sweeten the deal for Seattle and ensure they got a 2nd round pick - so while I'm sure he'll get some run I don't think it'll affect Anderson.  If I were running the show in New York (and if they don't start winning soon I may send in my resume for the inevitable GM search) I'd want Stewart to get maximum snaps as he's part of the future.  Kearse is not; NYJ will likely cut him the first time it is financially and salary cap advantageous to do so.