Jump to content
NBC Sports Edge Forums

Damiere Byrd 2017 Season Outlook


Recommended Posts

Victor Cruz 2.0??

 

Byrd turned in a 4/98/2 line last night for the Panthers on six targets. He was an undrafted free agent wide receiver out of South Carolina in 2015. Ran a 4.28 at his pro day. Small, speed guy at 5'9, 175. McCaffrey and Samuel will get most of the preseason headlines. But the Ted Ginn role may have found its new occupant. Its only one preseason game, but the Panthers have cut and practice-squaded this guy several times already and he's still with the team. Someone to keep an eye on.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dabeesta17 said:

Victor Cruz 2.0??

 

Byrd turned in a 4/98/2 line last night for the Panthers on six targets. He was an undrafted free agent wide receiver out of South Carolina in 2015. Ran a 4.28 at his pro day. Small, speed guy at 5'9, 175. McCaffrey and Samuel will get most of the preseason headlines. But the Ted Ginn role may have found its new occupant. Its only one preseason game, but the Panthers have cut and practice-squaded this guy several times already and he's still with the team. Someone to keep an eye on.

 

How many snaps did he get with the first team offense?

Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, joshua18 said:

 

How many snaps did he get with the first team offense?

 

All of his receptions came from Joe Webb; none from Anderson (1st team without Cam). So Byrd still has some depth chart climbing to do.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Byrd is just trying to make the roster, which he should after this showing.  He has kick return ability and also can be a gunner on punt and kickoff returns.  Charles Johnson has already been cut.  KB, Funchess, Samuels and Byrd should be the backup slot WR behind Samuels.  I don't think he offers much redraft appeal now, since KB, Olsen and C Mac will be the top 3 options in a somewhat conservative offense.  He should be on everyone's radars though. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, mmcalli884 said:

Byrd is just trying to make the roster, which he should after this showing.  He has kick return ability and also can be a gunner on punt and kickoff returns.  Charles Johnson has already been cut.  KB, Funchess, Samuels and Byrd should be the backup slot WR behind Samuels.  I don't think he offers much redraft appeal now, since KB, Olsen and C Mac will be the top 3 options in a somewhat conservative offense.  He should be on everyone's radars though. 

 

Samuel has barely practiced since training camp began due to a hamstring injury. The slot isn't going to be handed to him if he can't practice and as @hard1 said, Funchess is trying his best to be demoted or get cut. But agreed: definitely will be watching the next Carolina preseason game closely.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, mmcalli884 said:

Byrd is just trying to make the roster, which he should after this showing.  He has kick return ability and also can be a gunner on punt and kickoff returns.  Charles Johnson has already been cut.  KB, Funchess, Samuels and Byrd should be the backup slot WR behind Samuels.  I don't think he offers much redraft appeal now, since KB, Olsen and C Mac will be the top 3 options in a somewhat conservative offense.  He should be on everyone's radars though. 

 

Samuel has barely practiced since training camp began due to a hamstring injury. The slot isn't going to be handed to him if he can't practice and as @hard1 said, Funchess is trying his best to be demoted or get cut. But agreed: definitely will be watching the next Carolina preseason game closely.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mmcalli884 said:

Byrd is just trying to make the roster, which he should after this showing.  He has kick return ability and also can be a gunner on punt and kickoff returns.  Charles Johnson has already been cut.  KB, Funchess, Samuels and Byrd should be the backup slot WR behind Samuels.  I don't think he offers much redraft appeal now, since KB, Olsen and C Mac will be the top 3 options in a somewhat conservative offense.  He should be on everyone's radars though. 

 

Would have to beat out the incumbent Brenton Bersin to be the backup slot guy behind Samuels. Also has to compete with Russell Shepard for WR snaps, who the Panthers signed to a 3 yr deal in the offseason, and sounds like he's having a good camp.

 

I agree that I think this guy is mainly a special teamer fighting to make the team. Not even on my radar to be honest.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, dabeesta17 said:

Victor Cruz 2.0??

 

This is cool.  Victor Cruz maybe everybody already remembers this but Cruz actually flashed his stardom in a preseason game with 3 TDs against the Jets.  Ever since then my rule of thumb has been that unless an unheard of WR scores 3 TDs in a preseason game, it probably means nothing.  With the Panthers being the only game on last night it was fun to watch Byrd.  His name gets stored next to Rico Gathers on my "keep an eye on" list.

 

3 TDs or 3 Sacks in a preseason game.  That seems to be when you know you got something.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Elwood333 said:

This is cool.  Victor Cruz maybe everybody already remembers this but Cruz actually flashed his stardom in a preseason game with 3 TDs against the Jets.  Ever since then my rule of thumb has been that unless an unheard of WR scores 3 TDs in a preseason game, it probably means nothing.  With the Panthers being the only game on last night it was fun to watch Byrd.  His name gets stored next to Rico Gathers on my "keep an eye on" list.

 

3 TDs or 3 Sacks in a preseason game.  That seems to be when you know you got something.

 

Cruz and Byrd are both undrafted free agents too.

 

Byrd's two TDs showed some versatility and skill; one a 50-yard post bomb where he completely burned the cornerback, the other an all-hands red zone catch on a great route that showed awareness to stay inbounds. It was definitely fun to see live football again and the enthusiasm Carolina always shows as a team.

 

I'd just rather roster him now just in case. No harm, no foul. I mean, Funchess, Bersin and Russell Shepard are the guys currently "vying" for the #2 spot. Nothing special there. The rookie 2nd rounder Samuel, who has already been anointed the #3 WR on the team by some, hasn't even practiced in pads yet. Stranger things have happened when guys get opportunities, particularly guys that run 4.2 40s.

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 months later...
53 minutes ago, iheartrubio said:

Dude is active this week.  Good stash for those dynasty peeps with a slot.  Boom potential.

Just picked him up in my dynasty and considering even starting him as my wr3 given that Jordy Nelson is my only other healthy option 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Forgot about this guy lit it up the start of preseason.... if his 5 catches this past week would have went for any kind of yards and score he'd be getting all kinds of love....now just don't Trent Taylor me...

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, gimme the ball said:

Why do you expect that? Is he the #2 in Carolina now? 

Like a defacto 3 or 4 in the passing game but technically could be wr 2/3.... think it's just speculation but 5 targets in 60% of snaps if it were to increase in playing time maybe the targets do as well....clearly nothing concrete....

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, hard1 said:

Like a defacto 3 or 4 in the passing game but technically could be wr 2/3.... think it's just speculation but 5 targets in 60% of snaps if it were to increase in playing time maybe the targets do as well....clearly nothing concrete....

What's crazy is Cam N went 13/25 for 137 yards. Byrd got 5 of those 13 passes, although his yards per catch is low, his volume could make him a WR3 this week. I may fire him up instead of Tyrell Williams who is more of a boom/bust. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, gimme the ball said:

Why do you expect that? Is he the #2 in Carolina now? 

In week 1's win over SF,  KB and Funchess both played around 70% of snaps while Olsen played 100%. I'm assuming this distribution is Rivera's preference for his top two wideouts. 

 

Byrd's snaps went from 44% to 60% the last two weeks while Shepard's dipped from 62% to 37% with Olsen playing 94% of snaps last week. I think Byrd continues to eat into Shepard's snaps to the point where he and Funchess both hover around 70% with Funchess likely leaning towards 80%.

 

Irrelevant note: CAR plays Tampa next week. 

Edited by rylaughlin
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, gimme the ball said:

What's crazy is Cam N went 13/25 for 137 yards. Byrd got 5 of those 13 passes, although his yards per catch is low, his volume could make him a WR3 this week. I may fire him up instead of Tyrell Williams who is more of a boom/bust. 

Yeah just hard to take one game as a trend...but he looked the part in preseason I'll call last week's yardage a fluke if he gets 5 catches again...

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...