NBC Sports Edge Forums

Rhys Hoskins 2017 Outlook

• Replies 474
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

20 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

I will contact Doctor Who and have him time travel into the future and let you know.

Well, I was pretty sure that such a small thing like time can not stop him hitting Home Runs.

I was wrong. Probably. But there is still time til first pitch, so there is hope.

Have a new dynasty starting up. There I like:

Freeman

Rizzo

Hoskins

Bellinger

Goldy

Votto

Rhys over Cody won't be much of a reach, valuing the upside of plate discipline & contact over the upside of age to level.  But it's 6 of one 1/2 dozen of the other.

Redraft I won't get near either of those guys with all the hype (although a sophomore slump might make 2019 the year to buy). Bang for buck will be Votto early or Smoak/Zim late.

Edited by bdy1
10 minutes ago, KilloWertz said:

Bad timing for people in the playoffs, but he's entitled to it at some point I guess.  Now he just has to adjust if it continues much longer.

He gets Kershaw tomorrow, too. Maybe they will give him the day off.

10 hours ago, Members_Only_76 said:

I'm considering benching Rhys in weekly league for Dickerson based on matchups and seeing Hoskins finally cool off. 

Dickerson's matchups better be literally mouth watering considering how horrible he has been for a while now, and he sits against all lefties now.  I understand thinking Rhys might stay cold for a little while longer, but Dickerson is a pretty bad alternative (at least without actually looking at the matchups).

2 hours ago, KilloWertz said:

Dickerson's matchups better be literally mouth watering considering how horrible he has been for a while now, and he sits against all lefties now.  I understand thinking Rhys might stay cold for a little while longer, but Dickerson is a pretty bad alternative (at least without actually looking at the matchups).

C-Dick has 4 games @ BAL. Hellickson (R), Jimenez (R), Bundy (R), Gausman (R).

Btw, I'm doing that doubting Hoskins thing again, wink wink.

13 hours ago, Members_Only_76 said:

I'm considering benching Rhys in weekly league for Dickerson based on matchups and seeing Hoskins finally cool off. 

No way I'd put Dickerson in ahead of Rhys even if Corey was facing the staff of the Bad News Bears.  He has been totally horrible last month or two. 

Only worry I have about Rhys is the weather Tuesday/Wednesday in case some outer bands of showers break off from Jose and drift into Philly.  (And tonight he is facing Kershaw ... that too, heh).

Edited by The Big Bat Theory

I think the splits work themselves out next season with a full season of ABs.

As for his slump, like others have said, it had to be expected at some point.  The key, like when he first came up and wasn't getting much of any hits to fall, is his plate discipline.  It hasn't changed much. Sure, he hasn't walked much over the last handful of games, but it's not like he's going up there and striking out every time either.  That's why I'm not concerned at all about him in a keeper league.

In a daily league, you could pick and choose the rest of the way, but I would have still played him in a weekly league.  Outside of Gio tonight and deGrom in his next series, he gets two from the Mets' "pitching staff".  I think he still has at least one big game left in him for a curtain call.

I don't think it's a winning move to try to time these slumps so that you're starting when the player is raking and benching when he's cold, absent some knowledge of why they're struggling.  I do believe in situational benching (suspected injury, tough string of pitchers coming up, etc.), but some cold streaks last a week and some last much longer. 

In Rhys' case, the look of this cold streak is nothing like his track record from the minors or what he's shown so far in the bigs -- he's striking out at a 27% rate since his last home run, which sounds very un-Rhys-like, but that's the kind of K% a guy like Matt Olson has on the entire season.  If 27% is Hoskins' slump, then I'll take the average of his good and bad so that I don't miss out on any of the good.

On 9/26/2017 at 8:17 PM, Members_Only_76 said:

Not looking good at the plate right now. 

Rough last couple of weeks. Looks like pitchers have finally adjusted. The good news is that Rhys has the entire summer to adjust back. Also, maybe this "slump" will pump the brakes on the hype train and you will be able to draft him in a reasonable spot.

Edited by lassetjus
7 hours ago, lassetjus said:

Rough last couple of weeks. Looks like pitchers have finally adjusted. The good news is that Rhys has the entire summer to adjust back. Also, maybe this "slump" will pump the brakes on the hype train and you will be able to draft him in a reasonable spot.

That it definitely was.  I expected him to at least have one good game in the last series since it was against a horrible Mets pitching staff, but oh well.  Still a definite keeper as there's still too much to like even though he backed into the end of the season.